1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official Mojave run September 20, 21 & 22

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by Johnnie, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Sep 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    Aw! I'm on 17s. Thanks anyways, Johnnie. I've got the two spare 33" MTZs, 1 285x17 spare ATZ, and one 285x17 BFG. I really shouldn't blow more than one tire (knock on woods)

Awesome plans for the road trip; Gonna try and see how much this is gonna cost gas-wise.

2. Sep 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    Johnnie

Johnnie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Updated: August 29, 2013

Call for updates: 760 252-6100 (Monday through Friday)

On August 25, a severe thunderstorm damaged roads on the east side of Mojave National Preserve.
    Thunderstorms are predicted every afternoon through Labor Day weekend. Visitors are advised to be aware of approaching storms and act accordingly.
    - Do not camp in dry stream beds, as they can quickly become torrents of running water during and after a storm.
    - Do not drive across a flooded roadway. Flood waters are often deeper than they appear, and motorists cannot see the condition of the road below the water. Flood waters often recede within a few hours. Wait it out or turn around.

Paved Roads
    • Black Canyon Road - Closed. Some pavement is washed out. San Bernardino County is not predicting when the road will reopen.
    • Essex Road - Open.
    • Ivanpah Road - Open. San Bernardino County is performing emergency storm repairs through Friday, August 30.
    • Kelbaker Road - Open. San Bernardino County is performing emergency storm repairs through Friday, August 30.
    • Kelso-Cima Road - Open. San Bernardino County is performing emergency storm repairs through Friday, August 30.
    • Lanfair Road - Open.
    • Morning Star Mine Road - Open
    • Zzyzx Road - Open to all vehicles.
    Dirt Roads

• Kelso Dunes Road - Open to all vehicles.
    • Black Canyon Road - Closed. San Bernardino County is not predicting when it will reopen.
    • Cedar Canyon Road - Open. Soft sand between Black Canyon Road and Cima Road. 4-wheel drive recommended.
    • Lanfair Road - Open. 4-wheel drive recommended.
    • Ivanpah Road - Open. 4-wheel drive recommended.
    • Mojave Road - Open. 4-wheel drive recommended. Travel is not recommended across Soda Dry Lake.
    • Aiken Mine Road - Open. High clearance vehicle recommended.
    • Wildhorse Canyon Road - Open. Soft sand on the southern end. 4-wheel drive recommended.
    • Macedonia Road - Sand has filled in on the road under the railroad overpass at the west end of Macedonia Road. Use caution- your vehicle may now be too tall.

3. Sep 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    Just don't expect a kind group of Tacomas to be there to pull you out this time, supermooners.

4. Sep 3, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    My034Runner

My034Runner Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner
    A Lot!!

We're going East to West, I love Soda Lake, as long as it's passable of course!! Good thing is, we wash all of the salt off going through Afton Canyon!! :p

Also, if there's anyone lurking here, and isn't committed to Johnnies trip, and want to hang out with a bunch of 4x4's....and experience the entire Mojave Road experience........you're more than welcome to join us!!
    You can check out my trip planning thread here!!! http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26191

My trip is a little different than Johnnies for the most part.....we still have our fair share of go fast sections........just not really flying over the nasty whoops......
    Also, you'll see places and things different than most who go out. Mine is also takes an entire three (3) day's, and takes into account a lot of the history......and different features that lay well off of the Mojave Road!! We meet at the Avi, Friday morning, and conclude in Afton Canyon sometime Sunday Afternoon.....
    Feel free to post up on our site if anyone wants to come out....We're like at 9 trucks or so now, but my NPS permit is for 15 trucks or up to 35 people.

Oh Johnnie....we'll be on 148.550. I wrote your 153.110 in my phone so I don't forget. We'll try and reach out to you Saturday sometime to let you know if we're heading up to Beale Mt. to meet you, or if we're going to Sunrise Rock.....:D

5. Sep 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM
    Socalrunner

Socalrunner Toyota Its Like A Jeep Thing Only Better

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Glendora
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad 4x4 DCSB
    Icon Coilovers
    Dang I wish I could make this one. Hey I have a question. Is it possible to take the mojave road trail to Lake havasu?

6. Sep 3, 2013 at 10:52 PM
    Johnnie

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Nope, the road ends in Laughlin at the Colorado river.

7. Sep 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    My034Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner
    A Lot!!

No........the Mojave Road basically started across the River at what was Fort Mojave.......But, you can take the Needles Highway over and get there....or take the road on the Bullhead/Ft. Mojave side and drive there on pavement...:p

8. Sep 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    I saw a thread expressing interest in the mojave road on tundratalk I posted the link to this thread and a few guys are interested.

9. Sep 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    Johnnie

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Thanks Chris-

I don't mind adding a few more but I think I might cut off sign ups at 15 trucks. Right now we're at 13 and anything more than 15 becomes a little overwhelming. Plus the permit that I'm going to submit is for 15 trucks.

10. Sep 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM
    cbassd

cbassd Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sebastian
    Nor cal Davis
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma
    tc uca, 2.5 icon coilovers with resis, trd supercharger,flow master,u-bolt flip kit,,, all-pro standard pack leaf springs,10 inch travel 2.0 fox shocks with remote resis,21inch led bar,ham and cb radio,4xinnovation sliders, custom from bumper, prp bucket seats and deist 5-point harness
    Wooooo!!! Sounds like it's gonna be a fun run :D

11. Sep 4, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    tostidos

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd

Damn didnt even notice it was up that high so quick! I wouldnt have posted if I knew that. Awesome that a bunch of people are jumping on it.

12. Sep 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    Johnnie

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Should be a fun run, especially at night. That will make it interesting.

Make sure your trucks are running good and if it's not please don't come. It will delay the trip for the rest of us if your truck breaks down.

If your truck starts having any issues prior to us heading into the desert you will be asked to stay behind. We dont want anyone stranded on the middle of nowhere.

13. Sep 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    My034Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner
    A Lot!!

Chris, Johnnie and I are both running that weekend......Johnnie is taking a different route than we are, but the end result, is we'll all be out there. My trip starts at the Avi Friday morning, and concludes in Afton Canyon on Sunday late afternoon.......

We have room for a couple more, but my NPS permit is also for up to 15 trucks, and/or up to 35 people....so there's still room if you all want to join us for the entire three (3) days... :D

14. Sep 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    Johnnie

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Application has been submitted and hopefully it will be approved. I'll call the NPS office tomorrow to see if there are going to be any issues.

15. Sep 5, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    My034Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner
    A Lot!!

I got mine going a month early this time, as I cut it wayyy too short for my Easter Run......actually, we were already starting on the Mojave Road when my final approval came!! I had to download it to my phone......and would have had to use that if they wanted to check!! LOL!! :rofl:

Danette (NPS Mojave Preserve) is very cool and helpful getting us taken care of.... :bowdown:

16. Sep 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    Johnnie

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Robert, how long does it normally take to get the application approved?

17. Sep 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM
    My034Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner
    A Lot!!

She can probably get it done, you're just cutting it pretty close though....But, 2 weeks is probably the very edge of getting it. You may end up like me on Easter, and having to download the permit (the signed one she e-mails to you) on your phone.....need to make sure it's in a format that you can open (like a folder or something) due to lake of cell service.
    You also may want to keep in touch with Danette on the phone every couple-few days....her number is 760.252.6107.
    She also answers her e-mails pretty promptly....If you need her e-mail address, let me know, I have that too.....it's all in my phone! :D

18. Sep 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    My034Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner
    A Lot!!
    Just to share with you all.............Here is my list!!

The List of Attendees
    1: Robert and dogs........(my034runner)
    2: Mike and Sheri +2 girls....(Redswan) (90% sure)
    3: Jeff and son Hunter (10) (Shmedly)
    4: Charlie + lots-o-fireworks (GloryBigs) No Fireworks allowed!!
    5: Chuck and Evan if I can spring him from school (CRC80) (Also 90%)
    6: Bryant (fallenrunner) (70% sure just need to see if my classes have a test the following Monday we'd return)
    7: Colin and brother Alan (pending my exam schedule, should know for sure by Aug 30)
    8: Steve, the boy (mike) and maybe a girl or two ( daughters)((sngltrak1))(((97.3275%)))
    9: J.P. (Ludedude) 98.6%
    10: Craig and wife (N2Deep)....Tundra
    11: Alex and maybe GF (osidepunker) Tundra
    12:
    13:
    14:
    15:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  19. Sep 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    tostidos

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    IIRC i think it took about a week from submitting the form the last time I did the permit. But I was also right down the road and with Johnnie we were pretty quick about answering questions about the route.

20. Sep 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    My034Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner
    A Lot!!

And if you can hand deliver your signed copies, instead of waiting for snail mail......you can get it much faster too!!
    Once you fax in your permit application, and pay in full......Danette will send you a copy to look over and proof for mistakes, and print ont two (2) copies and sign and initial and then send back (or take to Barstow) to her for the Super to sign...Then she mails you a hard copy and now will also e-mail you a copy to print out!!
    On big groups, like ours and yours.....I'll usually print a couple of copies and give one to my tail gunner......

Products Discussed in

To Top