1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GL -3 vs GL -5 in 2nd gen diffs.

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by alpinebob, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Oct 5, 2013 at 9:18 AM
    alpinebob

alpinebob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    alpine ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4x4
    I am confused about the requirements in my owners manual for my 2008 Taco 4wd v6 auto, differentials which requires GL-3 75w-90. First, I can't find it locally, second when I go to the API web page it says that the GL-3 spec has been dropped in favor of GL -5. I also read that the GL-5 has ingredients that corrode "yellow metals" , (bronze) components. Do the diffs. or transfer case have bronze parts ? Is it ok to use GL-5 in all ?

Thanks, bob

2. Oct 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    Are you positive the manual says GL-3? My manual for my 05 says GL-5 for the differentials and GL-4 or GL-5 for the transfer case. GL-5 is really, really common for differentials no matter who the manufacturer is. Just make sure the bottle says it's OK for limited-slip differentials if your truck has a mechanical limited-slip rear end. The 05 to 08 Tacomas with mechanical limited-slip differentials have an "LSD" decal on the rear differential.

I believe there is no brass or bronze in differentials or transfer-cases, just manual transmission synchros (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I found some info on bobistheoilguy.com that indicates modern GL-5 can be used even in components with soft metals. Just get a reputable brand and you should be fine. I like Amsoil A LOT! Anyway, here is the info I found and I hope it helps:

"GL-5; Specified for hypoid gear service but with shock loads and severe service operation. Usually meets Mil-L-2105D and in most cases, is the multipurpose automotive gear oil. Most 75W90 to 75W140 grades meet the GL-5 classification. This grade has a high level of Extreme-Pressure additives that could be mildly corrosive to nonferrous parts, such as brass, bronze and aluminum parts. Most of the modern GL-5 lubes contain metal deactivators that prevents attacks by the extreme-pressure additives. In addition to EP additives, these lubes contain rust inhibitors, defoamants, friction modifiers, thickeners, and Viscosity Index Improvers."

Products Discussed in

To Top