Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

GL -3 vs GL -5 in 2nd gen diffs.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
alpinebob is on a distinguished road
Navy: AD
Name: bob
alpinebob's Tacoma Gallery
Question GL -3 vs GL -5 in 2nd gen diffs.

I am confused about the requirements in my owners manual for my 2008 Taco 4wd v6 auto, differentials which requires GL-3 75w-90. First, I can't find it locally, second when I go to the API web page it says that the GL-3 spec has been dropped in favor of GL -5. I also read that the GL-5 has ingredients that corrode "yellow metals" , (bronze) components. Do the diffs. or transfer case have bronze parts ? Is it ok to use GL-5 in all ?

Thanks, bob
Old 10-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Are you positive the manual says GL-3? My manual for my 05 says GL-5 for the differentials and GL-4 or GL-5 for the transfer case. GL-5 is really, really common for differentials no matter who the manufacturer is. Just make sure the bottle says it's OK for limited-slip differentials if your truck has a mechanical limited-slip rear end. The 05 to 08 Tacomas with mechanical limited-slip differentials have an "LSD" decal on the rear differential.

I believe there is no brass or bronze in differentials or transfer-cases, just manual transmission synchros (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I found some info on bobistheoilguy.com that indicates modern GL-5 can be used even in components with soft metals. Just get a reputable brand and you should be fine. I like Amsoil A LOT! Anyway, here is the info I found and I hope it helps:

"GL-5; Specified for hypoid gear service but with shock loads and severe service operation. Usually meets Mil-L-2105D and in most cases, is the multipurpose automotive gear oil. Most 75W90 to 75W140 grades meet the GL-5 classification. This grade has a high level of Extreme-Pressure additives that could be mildly corrosive to nonferrous parts, such as brass, bronze and aluminum parts. Most of the modern GL-5 lubes contain metal deactivators that prevents attacks by the extreme-pressure additives. In addition to EP additives, these lubes contain rust inhibitors, defoamants, friction modifiers, thickeners, and Viscosity Index Improvers."