Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

RESCUE NEEDED!! Anybody near Ridgecrest/395??

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #21
bigbarlo is on a distinguished road

Name: Chan
bigbarlo's Tacoma Gallery
Hey matt tell shane to stay with his truck. Hiking out is not a good idea.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #22
J11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant futureJ11Tac has a brilliant future

J11Tac's Tacoma Gallery
This is borderline BS. The forest rangers helped him flip his truck back, but left him?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #23
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J11Tac View Post
This is borderline BS. The forest rangers helped him flip his truck back, but left him?
All assumptions right now I think.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #24
bigbarlo is on a distinguished road

Name: Chan
bigbarlo's Tacoma Gallery
anyone with 4x4 want to help out? I have the next couple days off. I will pay for gas. Shane is a great guy and will pay us back and then some
Old 11-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #25
Brandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2W271,2MUNS, 2BW, 8AF (Enough Said)
Brandon H's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brandon H Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon H
I know exactly where that spot is. That's in South park canyon on the trail up to Suitcase mine. The road is very sketchy. In fact I had to get out of my truck and walk part of it because I was afraid I was going to flop it.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #28
Brandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2W271,2MUNS, 2BW, 8AF (Enough Said)
Brandon H's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brandon H Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon H
I read on another board that another gentleman from Ridgecrest area was going out to help him. from the picture, it looks like the Airbags deployed. The roll most likely tripped the inertia switch to the fuel pump. This is most likely what happened.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #29
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
From another thread that shane was able to post in:

I'm doing fine, guys. Apparently there is a good-size SAR effort underway for my stupid ass.
I have plenty of food, water, clothes, gear, supplies. Just not a running truck. And I'm in an area with extremely difficult access for a single vehicle, so I can't envision how my truck is getting out of here short of a helicopter. Day temps are perfection (low '70*s), night temps are the same (low '50*s, maybe upper '40*s), so not too much worry about cooking or freezing to death......maybe starving, since when I get into similar situations all of my focus is on anything *but* eating.
HUGE PROPS to Matt- he has literally been my lifeline here, and I'm leaning on him the most.
To answer your question/confusion, I'm sticking with Facebook for two reasons: I don't have good cell service and I want to try to keep my phone battery fresh (=less time on it), and I know Matt's got my ass covered. I'm keeping texting to only those who are closest to me or who can provide the most help......hence only family and Matt (maybe Brad later).
After a good, warm night's sleep, I'm now packing one of my packs, and prepping the truck to leave it behind, so that I can hike to Ballarat (~8 miles away). I expect to intercept on my way a few locals coming to my aid.
I'll keep everyone posted when I get home and more properly diagnose the issue. In the meantime, assume I'm fine and my truck is not.

This is turning out to be a live test of my prepping abilities. So far, I'm passing with flying colors!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #30
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck to you.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #31
Boss
TPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedTPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tanner
TPain's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #32
RileySB
rileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Gen
rileySB's Tacoma Gallery
Prayers for a safe return to your family. I wonder if the local air base would help pluck him out using one of their choppers considering his truck is not running (China Lake or maybe a sheriff/fire heli to do a short haul to a more accessible area? (once airbags deploy how does one even get it running again?)

I'm glad to hear there is a good sized SAR effort going on and that people are actually in the process in trying to get him and his truck out. Just a sucky situation. Glad he wasn't injured from the flip. Looks scary! Best of luck to you Shane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
From another thread that shane was able to post in:

I'm doing fine, guys. Apparently there is a good-size SAR effort underway for my stupid ass.
I have plenty of food, water, clothes, gear, supplies. Just not a running truck. And I'm in an area with extremely difficult access for a single vehicle, so I can't envision how my truck is getting out of here short of a helicopter. Day temps are perfection (low '70*s), night temps are the same (low '50*s, maybe upper '40*s), so not too much worry about cooking or freezing to death......maybe starving, since when I get into similar situations all of my focus is on anything *but* eating.
HUGE PROPS to Matt- he has literally been my lifeline here, and I'm leaning on him the most.
To answer your question/confusion, I'm sticking with Facebook for two reasons: I don't have good cell service and I want to try to keep my phone battery fresh (=less time on it), and I know Matt's got my ass covered. I'm keeping texting to only those who are closest to me or who can provide the most help......hence only family and Matt (maybe Brad later).
After a good, warm night's sleep, I'm now packing one of my packs, and prepping the truck to leave it behind, so that I can hike to Ballarat (~8 miles away). I expect to intercept on my way a few locals coming to my aid.
I'll keep everyone posted when I get home and more properly diagnose the issue. In the meantime, assume I'm fine and my truck is not.

This is turning out to be a live test of my prepping abilities. So far, I'm passing with flying colors!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #33
flsupraguy is on a distinguished road
flsupraguy's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 11-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
timify is on a distinguished road
timify's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck man
Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #36
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
I hope you get out safely.

Sadly, this is the type of stuff that closes trails.

Yes that trail has one or two tight spots (as Brandon knows) but please review what you should be doing when you go to places like this. There are long lists of things to bring and protocol that can save your life. Solo is fun but not very smart.

If you are going to 'spot yourself' remember to stop. Calm down. Stop again. I am not a fan of solo but if you do, bring along you best imitation of an ancient Chinese wise man. It is far more about being Zen and knowing every little step you make and not being in a rush of any kind. On second thought, wait until someone else can join you or wait at the beginning of your venture and follow someone else. Death Valley has that name for a reason. Getting a HAM and knowing how to use it can be a life saver too.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #37
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
Does this look about right?
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.99...num=1&t=h&z=19

Looks Steep!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #39
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
Hopefully the hydraulic lock did not bend piston rods. That's between a bunch of rocks and a hard place. Another reason I kinda prefer to offroad on an ATV rather than my daily.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #40
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
And a good thing to do would be to unhook the battery, step on the brake to discharge any capacitors (reset the computer). Hook it back up and see if you start.

Products Discussed in this Thread