Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Strange sound from Engine

Old 03-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
tacosd is on a distinguished road
tacosd's Tacoma Gallery
Strange sound from Engine

Just bought a 2009 Tacoma 700 miles on it and I have been having problems with a loud ticking. dealer says its fuel injectors but sound like to me a rocker arm, felt the cover and there is a definite vibration. I wouldn't think that a fuel injector would make so much noise. since I belive the fuel rods are on both side to fuel the engine. there seems to little or no noise on the passenger side. Dealer gurus say its normal. I say no its not. next stop Toyota USA. Anyone have a similar problem.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
that is the toyota tic, do a search in the second gen forum and you will see a ton of threads about this, it has to do with the emissions, it's normal don't worry.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i dont think theres much you can do anyway, there hydrolic lifters, correct?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
i dont think theres much you can do anyway, there hydrolic lifters, correct?
No lifters. Shim under bucket valve train.

OP, the "Ticking" is cause by a variety of things, valves, emission purge, fuel injectors, etc....they are noisey engines. The trade off is they are dead reliable.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
My truck was doing it earlier @ idle in my driveway... Annoying as hell. Easy fix too, cranked my music louder.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
x2..i had an 89 4runner run with a broken lifter for a long time. Proves toyotas reliability.

Even after i fixed it and adjusted everything, it still ticked.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
My truck was doing it earlier @ idle in my driveway... Annoying as hell. Easy fix too, cranked my music louder.
Another fix is to have the Wife drive with you....
Old 03-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosd View Post
Just bought a 2009 Tacoma 700 miles on it and I have been having problems with a loud ticking. dealer says its fuel injectors but sound like to me a rocker arm, felt the cover and there is a definite vibration. I wouldn't think that a fuel injector would make so much noise. since I belive the fuel rods are on both side to fuel the engine. there seems to little or no noise on the passenger side. Dealer gurus say its normal. I say no its not. next stop Toyota USA. Anyone have a similar problem.
Welcome to the Tacoma ticking club.
My 09 sounds the same and was told the same by the dealer. I have had it in the shop three times, once I had it inspected by the Toyota Rep, (DSPM) and was told the same by him. My plan is to bitch each and every time I take it to the dealer so that it is in writing over and over again in case something does happen to go wrong. In all the searching I have done, I have not found one failure that remotely points to this as the problem, that comforts me somewhat.