Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Three Dead In Crash while off-roading at Rowher Flats

Old 09-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Three Dead In Crash while off-roading at Rowher Flats

Sounds like a group of 5 people in a '01 Silverado were off-roading last night and went off the side of a trail and rolled down a hill. 3 were killed, 2 injured, one critical.

Fire dept was not notified until 7 this morning when one person was able to call 911.

http://twitter.com/LACoFireAirOps/st...460544/photo/1

http://ktla.com/2014/09/12/rescue-un...anyon-country/

http://hometownstation.com/santa-cla...-highway-43704
Old 09-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Prayers to the injured/lost...

truck doesn't even look that bad... something smells fishy...

I bet no one had seatbelts on.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Well both front wheels broke off and are behind the bed.

Here is a pic of the road they went down. Looks like a 100 ft drop.

This occurred on the main road from Sierra Hwy to the first staging area (parking lot). Its a graded gravel and dirt road for street legal cars, signs on this road say "no OHV". People sometimes speed on this road and try to drift around corners. That is what I assume happened.

https://goo.gl/maps/269Pm

Old 09-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
welp that puts it in perspective better.... I still bet they had no belts on and got ejected , because the cab looks intact
Old 09-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
Marine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud of

Marine.Doc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
Sounds like a group of 5 people in a '01 Silverado were off-roading last night and went off the side of a trail and rolled down a hill. 3 were killed, 2 injured, one critical.

Fire dept was not notified until 7 this morning when one person was able to call 911.

http://twitter.com/LACoFireAirOps/st...460544/photo/1

http://ktla.com/2014/09/12/rescue-un...anyon-country/

http://hometownstation.com/santa-cla...-highway-43704
THIS is why I do not offroad. Once, while stationed at Camp Pendleton, several of us took a jeep up one of the gravel roads and were going a little too fast around a curve. It started sliding over towards the deep drop side. Luckly we recovered. Don't ever want to do that again.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Even with seatbelts, those trucks do not have curtain airbags. You can get the crap beat out of you rolling down a hill, even with seatbelts on. Not saying they WERE wearing seatbelts, just saying with the distance that truck rolled, and the fact that it took nearly 7 hours to get help, I can easily see internal injuries and external injuries causing death.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine.Doc View Post
THIS is why I do not offroad. Once, while stationed at Camp Pendleton, several of us took a jeep up one of the gravel roads and were going a little too fast around a curve. It started sliding over towards the deep drop side. Luckly we recovered. Don't ever want to do that again.
'Off roading' does not mean drive fast or dangerous.

Off Roading (like off road racing, which is driving fast) means off of PAVED roads.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
that's like saying I'd never own a gun b/c bullets have killed people before

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
'Off roading' does not mean drive fast or dangerous.

Off Roading (like off road racing, which is driving fast) means off of PAVED roads.
^This. The off-roading we do here in middle GA is nothing above 10 mph b/c it's all mud.

Anyway, tragic for all involved. Prayers to the families.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Very sad for all parties involved and for the offroad sport. Be safe out there while we still have so much off road area to play in.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Driving like a idiot can kill you on any surface. I only say it so harshly because Jeeps are known to rollover and be unpredictable at speed on turns.

My favorite kind of offroading happens in 1st gear going 5mph tops..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Even with seatbelts, those trucks do not have curtain airbags. You can get the crap beat out of you rolling down a hill, even with seatbelts on. Not saying they WERE wearing seatbelts, just saying with the distance that truck rolled, and the fact that it took nearly 7 hours to get help, I can easily see internal injuries and external injuries causing death.
Yea, I guess I didn't think about that. It is a long way and I'm sure there was a ton of rolling.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
Do you even travel bro?
TashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dereck
TashcomerTexas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
First off, it's like the OP said they were probably trying to drift around the bend, I don't think they were off roading either.
Second, don't dog on off roading when this what probably not the cause. The majority here on this site know the proper ways to off road safely.
Third, if you want to prerun go to the dunes
And lastly, what did you expect? A jeeps center of gravity is notoriously the suck. Jeep trying to drift=rollover
Old 09-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
Marine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud ofMarine.Doc has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine.Doc
that's like saying I'd never own a gun b/c bullets have killed people before

owned guns all my life, not afraid of them or much of anything. Went offroading many years ago in a jeep up in Tennessee. We started to go up and over a dirt pile, the driver got to the top and let the jeep roll backwards. We got out and looked at the other side of the dirt pile, about a 50ft drop. I was cured.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #14

First off, it's like the OP said they were probably trying to drift around the bend, I don't think they were off roading either.
Second, don't dog on off roading when this what probably not the cause. The majority here on this site know the proper ways to off road safely.
Third, if you want to prerun go to the dunes
And lastly, what did you expect? A jeeps center of gravity is notoriously the suck. Jeep trying to drift=rollover

I'm not and would not dog any offroaders and if that is what you think I meant to do, I apologize. It is not my thing but for those who do, have fun and be careful
Old 09-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #15
ZoMbiE aLeRt
choppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
choppersx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah i agree here.
Thats a big drop.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #16
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I would not have wanted to be in that truck for sure. Worst part for me would have been laying there for hours before help arrived.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #17
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would not have wanted to be in that truck for sure. Worst part for me would have been laying there for hours before help arrived.
I forget what member posted this, but it is on my Christmas list so incidents like this never happen to me http://www.acrartex.com/products/cat.../resqlink-plb/
Old 09-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #18
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I forget what member posted this, but it is on my Christmas list so incidents like this never happen to me http://www.acrartex.com/products/cat.../resqlink-plb/
Jasmine and I always talk about getting the SPOT unit since we're often solo on some of our trips.

http://www.findmespot.com
Old 09-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #19
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
So sad! thoughts with friends and family of all!

luckily one of them was able to call! Looks like may have been out of sight of anyone driving on road and they could have been there for days and all end dyeing.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Agreed. Even when belted, you take a small roll, you'll get your ass kicked. 100 feet or so + multiple rolls = Someone can loose life even with air bags and belts.

Edit. Link says it was 200 foot drop.