Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

4WD Casual Run to Pancake Rock Sat. 10-11-14 VIDEOS ADDED!

Old 10-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
4WD Casual Run to Pancake Rock Sat. 10-11-14 VIDEOS ADDED!

Never been, so want to check it out... I hope to find some low range crawling. This idea was born on the San Diego BS thread.

Sean is in, anyone else (4WDs only please)?

From lembowski:

From Google:

Directions to Carvacre Trail (Pancake Rock): Difficulty Rating 2+

From El Cajon (I8 & 67)

Go east on I8 about 21 miles. At Japatul Rd. (Exit 40) go south approximately 4.5 miles to Lyons Valley Rd. Continue south on Lyons Valley Rd. approximately 4.5 Miles to the entrance to Barret Correction Facility. Air down at the open area near the entrance. Continue on Lyons Valley Rd. south approximately 1 mile. The trailhead will be a very sharp right as you round a curve.

Caution:

When turning off of Lyons Valley Rd, the trail immediately becomes very rough. Vehicles need to immediately go into 4 WD as you turn off Lyons Valley Road. There is only enough room at the trailhead for 2 or 3 vehicles and the trailhead is in a dangerous curve. Vehicles should be spaced out to avoid problems at the trailhead. Map Note: There is now a locked gate at the north end of the trail where it crosses private land before reaching Japatul Road. One must return out the same way in. I recommend turning around at Pancake Rock rather than continuing toward Japatul Rd beyond Pancake Rock.

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Carveac...d_Pancake_Rock

OK, let's do this...

1) David K
2) Seantoobs
3) YumaTRD
4) Socalduckslayer
5)
Old 10-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if you have been recently, but I was just there a couple months ago and it is very rough, the first section is the worst bit. Would not recommend going with out front, mid skids and sliders are a must! You will damage your rockers on your second gen with out them. The trail has turned pretty nasty in the past couple years. In dec. of 2010 I took my truck stock up it, made it fine, but now it would 100% not without body damage. There are a few spots where one side dips down with a rock on the side to smash in your truck.

We took my brother's tj (to test out new suspension) with 4" lift and 33's. it has sliders that are attached to the body (tucked up high and tight) and we did scrape them a few times. Thats just to show that sliders area 100% must on our trucks, unless body damage is fine with you.

I would take my truck up as it sits, no prob. But I have full skids, sliders and 33's.

Also there is a gate at the beginning, not sure if or when they lock it.

Yes you will be in 4low the entire time.

Dont get me wrong this trail is not hard technical, just lots of shit to damage your truck. Its a nice short trail with a bitchin view at the top. Also there is a little rock garden/ play ground if you follow the trail past pancake rock.

Have fun! And take pics!
Old 10-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
If it is impassable do we have an alternative location?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Pine valley trail or corral canyon are down the road if we find ourselves under prepared.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #6
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Hmmm... stock height and no sliders here. Other opinions please.
yeah it would be VERY VERY tough getting you to the rock without damage, and damn near impossible past that point.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
Seantoobs is on a distinguished road
Seantoobs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaTRD View Post
Pine valley trail or corral canyon are down the road if we find ourselves under prepared.
We'll those are fine too. I'm locked and full skids on 33's but no way do I want to see damage on your truck Dave!!
Old 10-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
We could scout the road a down a couple miles too see if it's rutted or graded too
Old 10-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
Works for me!
Old 10-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #10

David K's Tacoma Gallery
OK... free spirits are we... Our son Josh (Stewart's RaceWorks mechanic/ fabricator) is riding with me as a slow alternative to racing Vegas to Reno recently!

I will try and be at the Poway exit McDonald's at 9 am... or asap.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in El Cajon. I can meet at Japatul rd off the 8.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #12

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Hope to be leaving in just over an hour... any more input?

First Choice: Pancake Rock, if my stock +1/2" ground clearance truck has enough clearance!
Second Choice: Pine Valley trail, south from I-8?
Old 10-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm prepping the truck see you guys soon
Old 10-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #14

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Co-driver has arrived, grandma getting baby instructions... and then we are on the road!
Old 10-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #15
See u soon dave
Old 10-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #16
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
On my way
Old 10-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #17
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm parked in the parking lot north of the exit
Old 10-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #18

David K's Tacoma Gallery
We are at the trail head. Come on down.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
Chewie is my Co-pilot

YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I had to turn back due to carburetor flooding when climbing steep angles. This trail is challenging from the get-go. My open/open 4x4 was fighting to get traction.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #20

David K's Tacoma Gallery
We are back! What a great run.. all low range, all A-TRAC... amazing... a few dings on the boulders, but my stock truck went all the way to Pancake Rock. Sean was a great TWer on the run and we had a hard time getting Internet, so didn't know if YumaTRD got the message... I never saw he was NORTH of the freeway, we pulled over south... and again at the trailhead.

OK Lot's of photos and video coming. 4 Toyotas TWers were coming up as we were coming down. Fortunately there was a rare pullout to allow the guys to pass.

The trail was awesome... just what I needed! The Tacoma rocks big time!