Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

My Right Rear Axle Seal has gone bad... I need a hook-up a.s.a.p.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
My Right Rear Axle Seal has gone bad... I need a hook-up a.s.a.p.

I need help badly guys... here's the scoop.
I took my truck to get the rotors resurfaced and my tires rotated when the tech there said that my right rear axle seal had started to leak in the brake drum. He mentioned that they were able to clean it up, but that they would not be able to fix it there. I was okay with that because I know that's not their specialty. So now my situation leads me here. I need a place in San Diego that can do the work this week (Mon Aug 3rd through Fri Aug 7th). I'm leaving for vacation on Sun so I can't wait until TacoberWest. So please, does anyone have a family shop, a close friend who owes you a favor or anything else for a mad hook-up? Please let me know. Thank you all.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Could you replace the seal your self? The seals are pretty damn cheap if IIRC, and it is only about a 1 hour job. If you can do a brake job, you could probably replace the seal without a problem. Just remove the rear axle shaft on the side leaking, replace the seal, and then replace the axle.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
x2.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
Padilla1880's Tacoma Gallery
Dang that sucks Al! Sorry can't help you out. I'm sure some one on here gots something for ya!
Old 08-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
x3
I paid for one to be replaced on my old truck and it sucked. I'd do it myself if it had to be done again.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Could you replace the seal your self? The seals are pretty damn cheap if IIRC, and it is only about a 1 hour job. If you can do a brake job, you could probably replace the seal without a problem. Just remove the rear axle shaft on the side leaking, replace the seal, and then replace the axle.
I don't exactly have tools that would do the job. Needless to say I think I would need to jack up the truck to even start removing things.

While Im under there, could I take care of other things like this axle wrap TW members keep talking about (you know that feeling of getting tapped from behind/that slight thump). I'd consider going to someone's pad for help if it was an option.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Just had both of mine done at 56k. Stupid. Lasted 150k on the 82. Dealer did those & replaced the brakes since the drivetrain warrantied parts fouled the shoes. Got fresh gear oil, seals & shoes free. Took them 2 days because they jerked off half a day seeing if I really had coverage then only had 1 seal on hand & by that time I guess it was just too much to get another from their other toyota dealership 8 miles away. If it wasn't all free it'd been complete bullshit. I woulda done it myself too if no warranty but I'm gonna hold them to every bit of that 7/100k shit.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
I don't exactly have tools that would do the job. Needless to say I think I would need to jack up the truck to even start removing things.

While Im under there, could I take care of other things like this axle wrap TW members keep talking about (you know that feeling of getting tapped from behind/that slight thump). I'd consider going to someone's pad for help if it was an option.

Oh ok, gotcha. Well if someone steps up and can lend a hand, you will need the inner seal. The outer is just an o-ring and only prevents dust from getting in the housing. It does nothing to prevent oil from leaking out. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
There's a mod for that!

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Just had both of mine done at 56k. Stupid. Lasted 150k on the 82. Dealer did those & replaced the brakes since the drivetrain warrantied parts fouled the shoes. Got fresh gear oil, seals & shoes free. Took them 2 days because they jerked off half a day seeing if I really had coverage then only had 1 seal on hand & by that time I guess it was just too much to get another from their other toyota dealership 8 miles away. If it wasn't all free it'd been complete bullshit. I woulda done it myself too if no warranty but I'm gonna hold them to every bit of that 7/100k shit.
I hope that's not me. I can't be out of commission. I wouldn't mind doing it... just not alone. Someone's got to half some knowledge I can work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Oh ok, gotcha. Well if someone steps up and can lend a hand, you will need the inner seal. The outer is just an o-ring and only prevents dust from getting in the housing. It does nothing to prevent oil from leaking out. Good luck!
I'm hoping too. Thank you for the good luck. I think I'm going to need it.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to hear that Albert, I hope you get your truck fixed with ease
Old 08-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #11
There's a mod for that!

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Need help!

Bump!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
There's a mod for that!

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Things are looking up...

http://www.rapidtransmissions.net or http://www.sdtruckshop.com is what I'm leaning towards right now.
I will probably end up doing both sides and changing out the rear differential fluid at the same time. This service should set me back around $200. I will keep you posted with updates.
Here is a great link for additional information about this situation. I know it's not for our 2nd generation, but I would assume there can't be much of a difference. Thank you to Edrin55 for PM me this information.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...wheel_bearing/
Old 08-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
rpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to behold

Name: Roger
rpparkster's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you found some quick and reasonably priced solutions. Now get it done before you ruin your trip.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #14
The Photo Ninja!
SiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marlon
SiRMarlon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SiRMarlon
To bad your not in LA...those are easy to replace.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #15
There's a mod for that!

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRMarlon View Post
To bad your not in LA...those are easy to replace.
Don't tempt me... I would make the drive. I would need to offset the cost of gas to drive there so if I needed to pay for parts w/ free labor then its on like donky kong. What's the catch?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #16
There's a mod for that!

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE-Took my truck to Rapid Transmissions on Balboa Ave in Clairemont Mesa and guess what... They tell me there is no leak! They asked me if I was the original owner (which I am) and if I had any recent maintenance done (which I hadn't). To my surprise, they're not charging me at all and they can't figure out why it had leaked but isn't leaking any more. There was proof! When the guys on Sat. noticed the leak, they cleaned up the grease as much as possible. Either way, I still had the rear diff change and its parked at the shop on the lift so I can see it first thing tomorrow morning. For now, Im driving my wife's Highlander with a lovely Mary Kay sticker on the side. Haha! Where's my truck!!! Keep you posted.
By the way, these guys at Rapid Transmission seemed very honest and trustworthy. They said if they had discovered anything other than the work needing repair that they would sent me a digital pic of it before starting that. Kinda cool. Got to gives these guys props. His name if you ever need their service is Noe.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #17
dwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura about
Name: Kevin
dwntwnall4u's Tacoma Gallery
So is everything ok now?