Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Advice on Pine Valley

Old 09-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
mhagio is on a distinguished road
mhagio's Tacoma Gallery
Advice on Pine Valley

Questions about Pine Valley
Do I need a map of the trails or is it pretty obvious.
Is it easy/safe enough to go solo?
Are there other trails closer to northern San Diego (Del Mar Area)

I was thinking of hitting it up on Fri 9/4 and a bit new to off-roading so I just don't know what to expect or could happen.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Pine valley is very bumpy the terrain has definately changed but you can do it no probs i always feel its better to go with someone, its pretty much straight foward im hearing mixed sayings whether or not you need a permit now to offroad in cleveland nat'l forrest, but you can get the adventure pass at big5 sporting goods. scenary is awesome out there but remember its gonna be hot.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
rpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to beholdrpparkster is a splendid one to behold

Name: Roger
rpparkster's Tacoma Gallery
I think its always safe to have another truck with you...just in case. Its not about the terrain, you could break down for another reason and could get stuck. Just start a new thread and ask a few ppl to go with a little recovery gear.
Socalman might go with you but I got Tri for the long weekend.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyTRD View Post
The ranger that spoke with me said that the USPS will be stepping up its enforcement of the area to try and get some of the side trails back to their original state.
The United States Postal Service Cliff? Haha. That's funny.

It never hurts to have the adventure pass. Try to buy to one and don't scratch off the date. You can always have a blank one ready for use. $5... again at Big 5.
Last I heard, we were suppose to have the isolated thunder storms in the mountains on Fri. Should be a lot of fun. Watch out for huge holes in the ground that might be filled up with water. Am I scaring you yet?
Have fun bro!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
You need an adventure pass if you get out of the truck. If you plan on going more than a couple of times per year, you can buy an annual Adventure pass for $30 and a second annual pass for $5 at any ranger station, Big 5 sporting goods or online (for online, note that they have a separate selection for the 2nd annual pass. Don't just put two annual passes in your basket as it will be $60 vs $35).

So go in with someone and buy two and it drops your cost to $17.50 per vehicle for an annual pass. The money is used by the forest service to maintain services and trails. http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...-at-work.shtml
Old 09-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyTRD View Post
Parks service? my bad, you know those post men, the wheel hard
They're also packing and not afraid to use it!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:39 AM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
This is a pretty late posting for me but you can start out in Pine Valley creek its a decent drive , it takes you up from Pine Valley thru Noble canyon & all the way up to Mount Laguna, once you start feeling & more familiar with your truck you can start exploring Corral Canyon (a few miles east of Pine Valley,off Buckman springs rd) You can stop at the USDF station in Alpine to get an official OHV map with marked trails(where you can & can't go) it also has a trail rating for each trail for difficulty that is pretty accurate... Here's a couple pics from Corral Canyon, Happy trails
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on Pine Valley-web-dsc00544.jpg   Advice on Pine Valley-web-dsc00543.jpg   Advice on Pine Valley-web-dsc00540.jpg   Advice on Pine Valley-web-pdvd_099.jpg   Advice on Pine Valley-web-dsc00367.jpg  

Old 09-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Socal Tacoma
boopie is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Ramon
boopie's Tacoma Gallery
theres a minimal speed limit when going through pine valley. Its 30mph. Those UPS workers will give you a ticket if you are going slower then this. j/k =D