Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

coax cable and cb tune

Old 10-02-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
heffer is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
heffer's Tacoma Gallery
coax cable and cb tune

hey guys, i was wondering if any of you could recomend me a place to get my radio tuned, and if anybody in the socal area makes 18 ft coax cables?
i just picked up a cb radio tonight. lol
Old 10-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
wow. I came to the regional forum to ask the exact same question, where can i get my antenna tuned cuz I dont feel like spending money on a meter
Old 10-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
well guys, not sure of a place to have it done. I have an SWR that cost 20 bucks at www.rightchannelradios.com Works great. They sell the coax too. Really good company with some great information. They have a whole tutorial section on their website for customers, including a video on how to tune your CB. Very easy to do. Just a thought guys.

P.S. If you do find somewhere, let me know. Just incase I ever have to have any work done on my CB, it would be nice to know somewhere local. Thanks!!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
What type of CB did you get Jeff?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NraFan View Post
well guys, not sure of a place to have it done. I have an SWR that cost 20 bucks at www.rightchannelradios.com Works great. They sell the coax too. Really good company with some great information. They have a whole tutorial section on their website for customers, including a video on how to tune your CB. Very easy to do. Just a thought guys.

P.S. If you do find somewhere, let me know. Just incase I ever have to have any work done on my CB, it would be nice to know somewhere local. Thanks!!
I didnt wanna hear that. lol. I ordered my antenna kit from right channel radios and was debating whether to spend the $$ on the tuner but decided against it. And know Im paying for it...lol
Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
I didnt wanna hear that. lol. I ordered my antenna kit from right channel radios and was debating whether to spend the $$ on the tuner but decided against it. And know Im paying for it...lol
Sorry. I made the same bad choice. Fortunately, I got over the brain fart the same day and they were able to throw the SWR meter in the same box before it was too late. Does your radio have a built in SWR meter by chance? What model do you have?

Heres my CB radio:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...o-install.html
Old 10-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #7

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Next time u see a cable guy just ask. Offer him 5 bucks or something, they get the wire and connectors in bulk. Its all about how u ask, hell maybe hes got a tacoma and u can BS with him about it.
If u need it to terminate in a special connector, radio shack has a decent selection.

Gotta be careful about the coax though, they use RG6 I think for the house, CB coax is different. As are the connectors. You may be able to use it, but I am pretty sure it's different. Just my thoughts...
Old 10-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NraFan View Post
Sorry. I made the same bad choice. Fortunately, I got over the brain fart the same day and they were able to throw the SWR meter in the same box before it was too late. Does your radio have a built in SWR meter by chance? What model do you have?

Heres my CB radio:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...o-install.html
Nice. I was checking out your writeup a few minutes ago. I got the Uniden 538

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-PRO538W...4513155&sr=8-1

And I ordered my firestick kit through right channel.

So real quick, Antenna only has coaxial cable coming from it right? No ground? Only CB Radio is grounded?

And also, Do i need to buy special connections to hookup my CB to the battery?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
Hi
FYI, frys has SWR Tuners for $13
Old 10-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #10

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice. I was checking out your writeup a few minutes ago. I got the Uniden 538

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-PRO538W...4513155&sr=8-1

And I ordered my firestick kit through right channel.

So real quick, Antenna only has coaxial cable coming from it right? No ground? Only CB Radio is grounded?

And also, Do i need to buy special connections to hookup my CB to the battery?
As long as the antenna bracket is mounted to a good ground plane (i.e. metal on the body or bed that is grounded to the frame) you dont need any extra ground for the antenna. The antenna only has the coax connected. The grounding for the antenna is done through the mount. The radio should have black and red wires on it. Just take red to power (battery or fuse box) and black to ground (battery or metal that is grounded) I just used some basic crimp on connectors with a round hole and used the battery bolts to connect them. I would use a wire for power that had a built in fuse (if the radio isnt already setup that way). Hit me up if you have any other questions...
Old 10-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #11

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
FYI, frys has SWR Tuners for $13
Good info! Thanks!!
Old 10-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #12
heffer is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
heffer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by db67fm View Post
What type of CB did you get Jeff?

i got a cheap Cobra Ultra III

so far the reviews have been pretty good on it.
i didnt want to spend so much, because im also getting sliders. lol
Old 10-03-2009, 02:46 AM   #13
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...301ab877a41f88
Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #14
SoCalPrerunner has a spectacular aura aboutSoCalPrerunner has a spectacular aura aboutSoCalPrerunner has a spectacular aura about
SoCalPrerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffer View Post
hey guys, i was wondering if any of you could recomend me a place to get my radio tuned, and if anybody in the socal area makes 18 ft coax cables?
i just picked up a cb radio tonight. lol

I've always gone to the Solder Joint in orange - i think its off the 55 and katella
Old 10-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
Hi
Yea I ended up purchasing a meter for $20 off right channel. I figured that that would be the price of getting it tuned. Plus, if any locals run into my same problem I can helpem out
Old 10-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Be careful of the type of coax you use. You're going to need RG-8 or RG-58. Do not use RG-6, RG-11 or RG-59.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #17
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone found a reliable place to do CB installs in or around Orange County? I got a referral to Beach Auto Sound and they were a joke on the phone. Would not give me a firm estimate and said their hourly rate is 70. CRAZY!
The guy didn't even seem to want the business. Oh well, someone else will.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #18
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone familiar with this place:
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...31300528701066
Old 03-27-2010, 02:18 AM   #19
bisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant future

bisdak10's Tacoma Gallery
i can vouch for this place. its a plain cb radio shop. they are very helpful and nice. the only thing that sucks is the new time hours.

i believe 10am-2pm.

Halcon Communications‎- more info »
12832 Paramount Boulevard, Downey, CA‎ - (562) 861-9656‎