Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Mojave, leaving in a few hours, any tips/advice?

Old 11-08-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Mojave, leaving in a few hours, any tips/advice?

So the girlfriend and I are gonna go out to Mojave later today, around 10AM. Heading to the Kelso Dunes area.
Any tips or advice for those of you have been here?
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
CaliforniaKid is a name known to allCaliforniaKid is a name known to allCaliforniaKid is a name known to allCaliforniaKid is a name known to allCaliforniaKid is a name known to allCaliforniaKid is a name known to all

Name: Jim
CaliforniaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Actually a real nice time to go since it's only gonna be in the 70s today. Just take lots of water, and basic first aid/survival stuff. Cell phones work and should be plenty of other vehicles out there.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
What an awesome trip. Arrived at the Kelso Depot about 4pm, had camp set up at Kelso Dunes by 430, just in time for sunset. Only two other vehicles camped in different areas of the dunes and neither were too loud or obnoxious. One even had a 1st gen 4x4 taco. They had the best campsite with a couple trees.

So after a nice spaghetti dinner I decided to attempt some astrophotography and as can be seen I had to get the taco in a couple of them. Worked out ok but blew out the TRD Decal in what would have been the best one.

The next day we headed to Mitchell Caverns. If you have not been I do suggest going. This will be a place to camp on a future trip. Enjoy the pics...

Old 11-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like fun!!

Next time you try to take shots of the stars, set the 10 second timer, that way the shake when you take the picture will be nonexistent.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #5
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
man i wish i had places like that to go to in wv
Old 11-10-2009, 01:15 AM   #6
4th MAW

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
I was doing 2 minute and 1.5 minute exposures on a tripod with a Canon 5D. With 10 seconds I would have to set my ISO super high and that would result in too much noise. The movement you see is from earths rotation. Although I am no expert on astrophotography by any means.