Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Unemployed San Diegans Rollcall

Old 02-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #21
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Starbucks is closing some locations.

I can't even flip a burger here. Lamesauce.
thats what big corps like starbucks do, they put one on every corner and put the little guy out of business then close the ones that are not as profitable as the one across the street, just like walmart, and why I dont shop at either
Old 02-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #22
JCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: I was a mechanic
JCfromDEMELLO's Tacoma Gallery
Starbucks isn't guilty of anything the big real estate guys weren't doing. They just over expanded and kept ignoring the possibility that everything would eventually burst sometime.

My fiancee' had a decent job until getting fired without so much as a warning for doing the same stuff everyone else around her was doing. Got denied unemployment and spent 4 months sitting at home cranking out resume's to dozens of jobs. 27 years old, has a 4 year degree and over a year and a half specialized experience in worker's comp law. Guess where she works?

.............Starbucks. And she freakin' hates it and so do I. But EV-ER-EE-ONE preaches and preaches that you need a degree to get a job anymore. Yeah, a job makin' $9 an hour servin' coffee to snooty dickheads.

I spent 11 years in the military, have zero college, a H.S diploma, and I make more than her working for Demello doing something I barely knew how to do just 2 years ago.

Much as I love it here, I sure could use a foot in the door type opening in IT. That's what I'm in school for now but everywhere I look, people got their IT job through a hook-up ...and they ain't sharin' the hook-up.

Least I have a job, huh? Good luck to all you guys still struggling.

...and no way in hell would I leave SoCal. I would rather be homeless on the beach in Oceanside than own a home back in Georgia where I grew up.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #23
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfromDEMELLO View Post
Starbucks isn't guilty of anything the big real estate guys weren't doing. They just over expanded and kept ignoring the possibility that everything would eventually burst sometime.

My fiancee' had a decent job until getting fired without so much as a warning for doing the same stuff everyone else around her was doing. Got denied unemployment and spent 4 months sitting at home cranking out resume's to dozens of jobs. 27 years old, has a 4 year degree and over a year and a half specialized experience in worker's comp law. Guess where she works?

.............Starbucks. And she freakin' hates it and so do I. But EV-ER-EE-ONE preaches and preaches that you need a degree to get a job anymore. Yeah, a job makin' $9 an hour servin' coffee to snooty dickheads.

I spent 11 years in the military, have zero college, a H.S diploma, and I make more than her working for Demello doing something I barely knew how to do just 2 years ago.

Much as I love it here, I sure could use a foot in the door type opening in IT. That's what I'm in school for now but everywhere I look, people got their IT job through a hook-up ...and they ain't sharin' the hook-up.

Least I have a job, huh? Good luck to all you guys still struggling.

...and no way in hell would I leave SoCal. I would rather be homeless on the beach in Oceanside than own a home back in Georgia where I grew up.
Hard work and doing something that you love keeps people employed and enjoying life.

Being a self-employed guy - I have to look for work everyday. Fortunately, I am blessed getting to work for some great people and it makes life so much more enjoyable and fun.

On my bad days I make it fun by reminding myself that if I didn't have a bad day, I wouldn't know how good all the other days are!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #24
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfromDEMELLO View Post
Regarding a degree. I once was an executive for an engineering/manufacturing company and one of the best engineers we had was a guy that didn't have a degree but had a lot of passion, helpful attitude and an ability to communicate. - That's the secret to a good job!

Funny you say that, some may think I'm a snooty dickhead - 'cause I like nice things - but I have a hard time going to Starbucks - they have good coffee, good samies but the freaking secret handshake code and the "making too much out of a cup of coffee" and long lines - drive me nuts - that's why I appreciate 7-11, McDonalds and most gas stations!!! They know it's just coffee! As long as they have some good coffee and creamer I am a very happy camper
Old 02-09-2010, 06:11 AM   #25
JCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: I was a mechanic
JCfromDEMELLO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Regarding a degree. I once was an executive for an engineering/manufacturing company and one of the best engineers we had was a guy that didn't have a degree but had a lot of passion, helpful attitude and an ability to communicate. - That's the secret to a good job!

Funny you say that, some may think I'm a snooty dickhead - 'cause I like nice things - but I have a hard time going to Starbucks - they have good coffee, good samies but the freaking secret handshake code and the "making too much out of a cup of coffee" and long lines - drive me nuts - that's why I appreciate 7-11, McDonalds and most gas stations!!! They know it's just coffee! As long as they have some good coffee and creamer I am a very happy camper
I guess I should have added that I won't drink any coffee but Starbucks, lol. 'Specially since I get it for free. I don't drink the frilly lilly latte's mind you. I just know that no other coffee from anywhere else tastes anywhere near as strong as I like it. I'm a snob with Beer and coffee. Yeah I capitalized Beer ...

I just wish the fiancee' didn't have to work at that god awful place. It used to be a great business to work for and everyone there was like family. These days, corporate keeps firing off the long time, experienced store managers and replacing them with know-nothing dumb f***s from out of left field. My fiancee's store lost their manager to corporate "do it my way or get out" policies, and they replaced her with some jack off that used to be a restaurant manager and he has absolutely no clue how to run a business.

On the subject of degrees again, one of Jason's friends, who's a regular at the shop, is the head of IT at UCR. No college degree and at one time was makin' 6 figures. I just wish I could find the same opportunities to show people what I'm worth, as a veteran that never gets tired, doesn't care about working weekends, nights, overnight, holidays, whatever. Thankfully Jason did that 2 years ago and I feel confident saying he hasn't been disappointed. I just ...can't make a living on this income forever.

Seems to me these days, there's all this talk about wanting to hire veterans and the fed gov't wants to set the standard and recruit veterans for all kinda jobs, everybody loves veterans, yadd yadda. I've been applying for gov't jobs left and right and I'm even in a program (thank you VA) that's supposed to help you with the whole inside hook up for fed jobs ...and nuthin'. Whole lotta talkin the talk and not so much walkin' the walk when it comes to wanting to hire veterans, in my disgruntled and dejected opinion. I'm sure some other guys here could chime in when I say, once you take off the uniform, you're pretty much nobody special till veteran's day. Then all of a sudden, for one day, everybody wants to shake your hand, pat you on the back, and say thank you. I appreciate it, sure. I just wish I didn't sometimes feel like I worked my ass off for 11 years to be slinging steel and picking up trash outside on Fridays, or begging civilian secretaries at the VA hospital to spare me 15 minutes of their precious time to answer some questions.

Wow ...where'd that rant come from?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #26
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilManny View Post
I looked into arizona texas and new mexico because I was going through the hiring process for border patrol; and arizona is without a doubt the best value for your buck I thought.... but being born and raised in SD Im spoiled and I dont wanna leave cali if I dont have to!! Love the SD weather
Check out the San Diego Sheriffs or the SDPD.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #27
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
I'm soon to be a SD resident and I'll hopefully be unemployed. Well, retired is what I'll be. I get a pension and can use the GI Bill to go to school.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #28
socaltaco
LilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shedLilManny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Manny
Location: San Diego, CALIFORNIA. (Rancho del Rey/ otay ranch)
LilManny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Check out the San Diego Sheriffs or the SDPD.
thanks.... I already took the sherriffs test and the chp test i passed both since the test was the SAME ONE!! haha I couldnt believe it was exactly the same.I passed the PAT (Physical Ability Test) and the interview however im told that with my background I must wait at least another year or two. i guess i should also mention that I got a DUI back in 2007 however after talking with sargents from both agenciess they let me know that its more so my age than anything... they dont really like to hire 21 year olds they like to wait till at least 23 24 so they can ensure we are mature enough to carry a gun and enforce laws correctly
Old 02-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #29
STEVON is on a distinguished road
Name: STEVO
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery
Unemployed in San Diego

I've been out of work since October but not too worried. As long as I get another government job or contract to sponsor my security clearance I'll be alright. Government jobs pay extra to live in cities, even San Diego can you believe it! Down side of having a clearance is that you loose it after a year of inactivity. Getting it active again is like starting over and you might never be able to get it back. It is pretty rough to live out here if you don't have friends, family or fraternity buddies to help you out. I'm originally from NJ, don't know anyone connected out here, on my own.

Stephen
Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #30
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarine veteran and Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan James
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVON View Post
I've been out of work since October but not too worried. As long as I get another government job or contract to sponsor my security clearance I'll be alright. Government jobs pay extra to live in cities, even San Diego can you believe it! Down side of having a clearance is that you loose it after a year of inactivity. Getting it active again is like starting over and you might never be able to get it back. It is pretty rough to live out here if you don't have friends, family or fraternity buddies to help you out. I'm originally from NJ, don't know anyone connected out here, on my own.

Stephen
I feel ya, all my friends moved back to their home states, it sucks not being from here by your self.

I had a higher than Top Secrect clearance for the duration of my submarine duties, and I still can't find decent work.

Stephen, click the second link in my signature.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #31
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
employeed by the streets
Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #32
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioso View Post
employeed by the streets
How's the hustle treatin' ya?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #33
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
good got two ladies working at deja vu in point loma and one at cheetahs and another at hustlers over in point loma aswell
Old 02-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #34
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery
Clearance

Thanks for the sentiment. Moved out here in 2002 but only in the last 2 years feel it is home. I also know a lot of people who came and left. I worked as an IT consultant in NYC back east, very tough gigs, 3 hours unpaid commute every day to work and back, insane pressure and competition, wasn't for me. I got fired working at the World trade Tower 1 on sept 6th 2001. They made me move furniture even though I was hired as desktop support. When I got injured and complained, they let me go the next hour! Actually they did me a favor because the building was gone 5 days later! Decided to Move out here and it took about 5 years to find a way to get paid a living wage. Talked my way into the NMCI helpdesk to sponsor a clearance, quit after a week, way too rediculous job for an Engineer. Since then worked at for the Navy at Coronado as the South West Region Legacy Systems Administrator and got my clearance upgraded to Top secret SSBI. Certainly want to keep that clearance active! Last contract was a FBI rollout of routers and switches for regional offices. Signed up for lots of contracts since then but nothing is going on right now, no calls, email or any activity this year. I have 11 years experience in IT but out here you need some nepotism to guarantee a decent permanent job! It's not what you know but who you know. Still, I love the life style, live in mission hills for $790 a month for a one bedroom apartment, got a yard and a garage to work on projects. You just can't beat the weather, turned down a contract in Hawaii to stay here!

Stephen

Quote:
I feel ya, all my friends moved back to their home states, it sucks not being from here by your self.

I had a higher than Top Secrect clearance for the duration of my submarine duties, and I still can't find decent work.

Stephen, click the second link in my signature.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #35
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Thanks for the sentiment. Moved out here in 2002 but only in the last 2 years feel it is home. I also know a lot of people who came and left. I worked as an IT consultant in NYC back east, very tough gigs, 3 hours unpaid commute every day to work and back, insane pressure and competition, wasn't for me. I got fired working at the World trade Tower 1 on sept 6th 2001. They made me move furniture even though I was hired as desktop support. When I got injured and complained, they let me go the next hour! Actually they did me a favor because the building was gone 5 days later! Decided to Move out here and it took about 5 years to find a way to get paid a living wage. Talked my way into the NMCI helpdesk to sponsor a clearance, quit after a week, way too rediculous job for an Engineer. Since then worked at for the Navy at Coronado as the South West Region Legacy Systems Administrator and got my clearance upgraded to Top secret SSBI. Certainly want to keep that clearance active! Last contract was a FBI rollout of routers and switches for regional offices. Signed up for lots of contracts since then but nothing is going on right now, no calls, email or any activity this year. I have 11 years experience in IT but out here you need some nepotism to guarantee a decent permanent job! It's not what you know but who you know. Still, I love the life style, live in mission hills for $790 a month for a one bedroom apartment, got a yard and a garage to work on projects. You just can't beat the weather, turned down a contract in Hawaii to stay here!

Stephen

Dude, seriously explore the SDG&E website.

I remember seeing an IT job recently on their internet boards for a position at the Kearny Mesa building.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #36
El Pitufo

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
fuck i hate IT!, i got a project managment class right now full of IT employees, one guy works at sears tryna enter the field but no trabajo available
Old 02-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #37
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery
Sdg&e

Thanks,

Will check it out!

Stephen

Quote:
Dude, seriously explore the SDG&E website.

I remember seeing an IT job recently on their internet boards for a position at the Kearny Mesa building.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #38
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery
IT sucks

I agree that IT is saturated, even the government lies about there being 5000 new IT jobs coming out every year! Actually they're not lying, they left out one minor detail, the new jobs are in India!
Anyone starting a new career should pick anything else like medical assistant or CPA accountant!

Stephen

Quote:
fuck i hate IT!, i got a project managment class right now full of IT employees, one guy works at sears tryna enter the field but no trabajo available
Old 02-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #39
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery
Cure for boredom

Check out my gallery, rebuilt this totaled doublecab to kill the boredom!

Quote:
Old 02-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #40
El Pitufo

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree that IT is saturated, even the government lies about there being 5000 new IT jobs coming out every year! Actually they're not lying, they left out one minor detail, the new jobs are in India!
Anyone starting a new career should pick anything else like medical assistant or CPA accountant!

Stephen
yeah i feel stupid in the class cuz i know nothing about IT, but hey if u have a passion for it, dont settle for less