Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

Unemployed San Diegans Rollcall

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #41
Member
STEVON is on a distinguished road
Name: STEVO
Joined: Jan 2010, #29806
Location: San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 50
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery
IT still sucks

I'm doing OK, last contract was $35 and hour. So doing part time contract evens out to regular pay at a regular job. Upside, no politics to get involved and I have 2 to 3 months a year on unemployment to do what ever I want! Downside: no future or benefits to it. My career before IT was a business in New Jersey. Had a lease company, didn't do much leasing, more wholesaling of cars to auctions. Had the frame machine, spray booth and all the tools but could'nt make a living doing it. After 15 years of bad checks, theft, lawsuits, crooked partners and no profit, finally came to my senses. Got out when I was in $50,000 debt an no way to keep from going into more debt. The car business is so jammed with people who work for free just to be in it that your maximum profit is 10% or less of your investment! A good investment portfolio can do better return while you sit at home! Dumped my shop and got a Federal grant from workforce development for computer training back in 1998. At that time getting an IT job was easy, especialy around Y2K! Didn't last though, after the DOTCOM bubble bust in 2000 then 911 in 2001, it's been a downhill slide for most IT workers, my self included. The only ones making money are schools that sell Computer related training and vendors that sell solutions to downsize the IT department! Most of my computer associates have ditched IT for jobs in UPS, the gas company or any other job they could get. I stuck it out because I'm very good at it and tenacious when looking for opportunities. In the last eleven years I've had a total of 6 months medical benefits! If I were you I'd use family and friend connections to land any stable job, not just IT ones. Computers can always be a hobby! without a member on the board of directors in a company or similar deal, don't expect to make a solid career in it. Just my opinion......

Stephen



http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s.../29806/cat/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioso View Post
yeah i feel stupid in the class cuz i know nothing about IT, but hey if u have a passion for it, dont settle for less
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #42
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
thebigk's Avatar
Name: Ken....
Joined: Aug 2008, #8770
Location: Odessa, TX
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,720
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfromDEMELLO View Post
Starbucks isn't guilty of anything the big real estate guys weren't doing. They just over expanded and kept ignoring the possibility that everything would eventually burst sometime.

My fiancee' had a decent job until getting fired without so much as a warning for doing the same stuff everyone else around her was doing. Got denied unemployment and spent 4 months sitting at home cranking out resume's to dozens of jobs. 27 years old, has a 4 year degree and over a year and a half specialized experience in worker's comp law. Guess where she works?

.............Starbucks. And she freakin' hates it and so do I. But EV-ER-EE-ONE preaches and preaches that you need a degree to get a job anymore. Yeah, a job makin' $9 an hour servin' coffee to snooty dickheads.

I spent 11 years in the military, have zero college, a H.S diploma, and I make more than her working for Demello doing something I barely knew how to do just 2 years ago.

Much as I love it here, I sure could use a foot in the door type opening in IT. That's what I'm in school for now but everywhere I look, people got their IT job through a hook-up ...and they ain't sharin' the hook-up.

Least I have a job, huh? Good luck to all you guys still struggling.

...and no way in hell would I leave SoCal. I would rather be homeless on the beach in Oceanside than own a home back in Georgia where I grew up.
I've been in IT for over 10yrs. Never went to school for it....went to college for accounting! LOL Learned how to work on PC's...never finished college.

Now I've got tons of certifications and licensures the companies I have worked for have paid for. (MCSA, CCNA, CCDA, Journeyman Low Voltage Electrician, journeyman telephone electrician, Certified Fiber Optic Technician....etc)

We HARDLY EVER hire a school trained tech. We have 1 and he's like tits on a boar.

All the other guys I work with were self trained or on the job trained.

I have never gotten a job through a "hook-up" so I don't know about that.

But trust me......after a while....IT can get old too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #43
Member
STEVON is on a distinguished road
Name: STEVO
Joined: Jan 2010, #29806
Location: San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 50
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery
Nepatism

That's funny, 90% of my bosses and managers had 0% training or experience in information technology, they got their position through "other means" I understand why though, if I was a president of a company and my nephew needed a job, why not make him the CIO? If he's not qualified for the job he can get consultants to cover and do the work for him. The most important skills he'll need is board room demeanor and of course, not look like a fool on the golf course with customers. It just my experience maybe your's is different

Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigk View Post
I've been in IT for over 10yrs. Never went to school for it....went to college for accounting! LOL Learned how to work on PC's...never finished college.

Now I've got tons of certifications and licensures the companies I have worked for have paid for. (MCSA, CCNA, CCDA, Journeyman Low Voltage Electrician, journeyman telephone electrician, Certified Fiber Optic Technician....etc)

We HARDLY EVER hire a school trained tech. We have 1 and he's like tits on a boar.

All the other guys I work with were self trained or on the job trained.

I have never gotten a job through a "hook-up" so I don't know about that.

But trust me......after a while....IT can get old too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #44
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
HBMurphy's Avatar
Name: Paul
Joined: Jun 2009, #18993
Location: So California Coast
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,075
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
The best way to get a job (provided you maintain your brain in postitive way through exercise, beliefs, and trust that you will help someone make money for their company):

Identify the jobs you want and do informational interviews (call up people in that feild and ask for 20 minutes of their time. Remind them that you are not asking for the job but that you would like to interview them about their career and that you will take no longer than 20 minutes and 15 if they resist at 20. Then go and ask them about their job. "How did you get in to this job, what do you like best, least, what are the biggest challenges that you and your company faces in the next 18 months.... I was an executive for 2 public companies and only one guy tried this with me and I hired him. The problem is that most people don't have the balls to contact the real decission makers - they call the HR - these fuckers don't have a fucking clue (sorry to all those in the field). They know how to reject you. They know how to get your health insurance stuff - but these fuckers (sorry I say it with such passion but it is true! - most of them aren't even respected by the people that hire them!!! ). A good book (best selling self-published book for years) is "What Color is Your Parachute." You don't have to read the whole thing but it is good stuff. I used to hire a lot of guys and the ones that demonstrated that they had the guts to talk with the people that they need to to get the job done are keepers! Feed your mind with good stuff. "How to Win Friends and Influence People" is another MUST read for people looking for work. If there is anything I can do for any one here, pm me I will do my best to help.

KEEP THE FAITH and DON'T succumb to Stinkin' Thinkin'
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:10 AM   #45
Senior Member
JCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
JCfromDEMELLO's Avatar
Marines: I was a mechanic
Joined: Feb 2010, #30593
Location: SoCal
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
JCfromDEMELLO's Tacoma Gallery
See, I've run into a lot of folks these days making tons of money in IT and all they can do is complain about it. Oh man, I only made 90K last year! My job's so sucky! ...I made less than 20 ...least I enjoy my job I guess.

It's been my recent experience that the guys who are burnt out on IT are the ones that have been into it forever. I'm 34 now. At the age of 25 I didn't know what the word "font" meant. I'm still hungry for this stuff. Unfortunately, the classroom education I'm getting just bogs down on details and hasn't really been all that fun lately. Now that being said, when I take the knowledge I have gained and apply it by helping friends and family members, it's absolutely rewarding and enjoyable. I'm not burnt out on this. I enjoy helping the computer illiterate. I enjoy helping people understand things they thought were too difficult to ever comprehend. I enjoy doing the tiniest, desktop support level stuff here at work when the computers go down.

I'm just trying to find one of these "foot in the door", GS-5 level jobs or something along those lines. Every job I've ever had, I always start out slow and end up being the go to guy for everything. I enjoy working with people (unlike 99.9% of the IT professionals I meet), I enjoy a challenge. I just don't get why the VA would make an investment on someone like they have me, and not even make the slightest attempt at helping me find some better employment within their ranks. Return on your investment, ya know?

Hell, 35K a year would be a HUGE step up for me at this point. I'd be a happy man just makin' $20 an hour.

And yes, I know what it's like being here by yourself. I grew up in Georgia but the military took me all over and brought me here for my final tour before I decided I'd had enough. Luckily I made good connections along the way, found the love of my life out here, and not a day goes by that I miss my old life amongst my overly-dramatic family and friends back home in the south. None of that BS out here! And hell, I'm getting married at Stone Brewery in May. If anyone were to ask me why I chose to stay here in this notoriously misunderstood state ...at least we know how to make real beer out here!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #46
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
HBMurphy's Avatar
Name: Paul
Joined: Jun 2009, #18993
Location: So California Coast
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,075
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfromDEMELLO View Post
See, I've run into a lot of folks these days making tons of money in IT and all they can do is complain about it. Oh man, I only made 90K last year! My job's so sucky! ...I made less than 20 ...least I enjoy my job I guess.

It's been my recent experience that the guys who are burnt out on IT are the ones that have been into it forever. I'm 34 now. At the age of 25 I didn't know what the word "font" meant. I'm still hungry for this stuff. Unfortunately, the classroom education I'm getting just bogs down on details and hasn't really been all that fun lately. Now that being said, when I take the knowledge I have gained and apply it by helping friends and family members, it's absolutely rewarding and enjoyable. I'm not burnt out on this. I enjoy helping the computer illiterate. I enjoy helping people understand things they thought were too difficult to ever comprehend. I enjoy doing the tiniest, desktop support level stuff here at work when the computers go down.

I'm just trying to find one of these "foot in the door", GS-5 level jobs or something along those lines. Every job I've ever had, I always start out slow and end up being the go to guy for everything. I enjoy working with people (unlike 99.9% of the IT professionals I meet), I enjoy a challenge. I just don't get why the VA would make an investment on someone like they have me, and not even make the slightest attempt at helping me find some better employment within their ranks. Return on your investment, ya know?

Hell, 35K a year would be a HUGE step up for me at this point. I'd be a happy man just makin' $20 an hour.

And yes, I know what it's like being here by yourself. I grew up in Georgia but the military took me all over and brought me here for my final tour before I decided I'd had enough. Luckily I made good connections along the way, found the love of my life out here, and not a day goes by that I miss my old life amongst my overly-dramatic family and friends back home in the south. None of that BS out here! And hell, I'm getting married at Stone Brewery in May. If anyone were to ask me why I chose to stay here in this notoriously misunderstood state ...at least we know how to make real beer out here!!!
Congrats on getting married!

One thing I would say... Don't get too caught up on how much. I would focus more on stimulating your juices - that way you are going to work everyday working on a raise and promotion. I know this can't happen all the time but...I spent over 9 months unemployed after LOOSING MY ASS (lost most all my savings, my finance, my best friend, my car and a very close relative in a period of about 3 months - I know what it's like to take a 27 hour walk on the beach wondering "What the fuck did I do to deserve this?" I knew what it was like to get out of bead at 11 just to be ready for a noon time nap. I remember getting back on track I would right in a book the accomplishments that I had that day - I HAD SOME DAYS THAT THE ONLY ACCOMPLISHMENT WAS BRUSHING MY TEETH!

I then worked with the homeless as a volunteer in OC (Shelter for the Homeless and Intefaith Homeless Network). It kept me on a regular schedule and productive - THERE IS NOTHING WORST THAN A MAN WITH A PURPOSELESS DAY. I also volunteered for most anyone I ran into so that I could 'borrow' money to make my house payment (my payment was $800). (And yes I was blessed to be able to pay every single person back within 6 months after I returned to work.)

Finally I got a job as a Product Manager, working for a real dick, over an hour drive in morning and 1.5 hours to get home, in a business that didn't completely excite me. The thing I did have was a survival instinct that was better tuned - certainly not as good as what I am sure the military could have drilled in to my brain, but none the less, I was ready. As much as I thought I would have a better job closer to my house, within 9 months I was the VP of Sales and Marketing for that company (3 job classes above where I was working).

I know that this isn't going to happen to everyone but I think if you engage with others, cut out drinking more than about a beer or two PER WEEK (if you're a drinker), NO DRUGS (and don't tell me weed is safer than alchohol thing - I guarantee you it will not get you any closer to the job you love), and focus on what you want and how to get it, YOU WILL SUCCEED! I GUARANTEE IT - It may not be on your timeframe and you will be tested but stay focused on the target and BE CAREFUL ON YOUR SELF TALK and WHO YOU HANG OUT WITH! If you want to know how much you will make, average the income of your 5 closest friends.

As always, if I can help you in your quest to find a good job for your passions, PM me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #47
Member
STEVON is on a distinguished road
Name: STEVO
Joined: Jan 2010, #29806
Location: San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 50
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery
Government positions

I am glad that you enjoy working on computers but you have to understand that thousands of high school and college graduates have an MCSE or CCNA who live at parent's home and glad to work for free as an intern, or for 10 bucks an hour indefinitely. It's a buyers market when there's 5 capable IT people for every 1 job. Think of it this way if you owned a company and could get qualified people for less money, you'd have no choice but to use them. We all work for the board of directors or company owners who want more profit in less time and it's rarely ever good enough for them. They make the decisions on how much to pay or not pay employees. Why pay full retail price for a set of tires when you can get the same ones on sale at half price?
It's true some of us 10years+ IT guys moan about things but that's just because we remember the glory days when we were in demand, appreciated and could make 6 figure incomes. Once you get a taste of the good life it's hard to be happy with less, just human nature.
If you want to get your foot in the door there is always the NMCI help desk position, they go through 100 people every six weeks. It's a very tough job but easy to get. Keep in mind it's a contract position If you are interested I have a connection at ApexSystems and Strategic Data Systems, can recommend you.
To get an actual government job is very difficult but easier for you because you have military service. Register with the clearance and government web sites to start, then agencies will contact you. usajobs.gov, clearedconnections.com, https://cp-its-rmprd.saic.com/MAIN/careerportal . Google for government clearance jobs to find good sites, clearnce jobs at Dice is a good one too.

Good luck,

Stephen


Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfromDEMELLO View Post
See, I've run into a lot of folks these days making tons of money in IT and all they can do is complain about it. Oh man, I only made 90K last year! My job's so sucky! ...I made less than 20 ...least I enjoy my job I guess.

It's been my recent experience that the guys who are burnt out on IT are the ones that have been into it forever. I'm 34 now. At the age of 25 I didn't know what the word "font" meant. I'm still hungry for this stuff. Unfortunately, the classroom education I'm getting just bogs down on details and hasn't really been all that fun lately. Now that being said, when I take the knowledge I have gained and apply it by helping friends and family members, it's absolutely rewarding and enjoyable. I'm not burnt out on this. I enjoy helping the computer illiterate. I enjoy helping people understand things they thought were too difficult to ever comprehend. I enjoy doing the tiniest, desktop support level stuff here at work when the computers go down.

I'm just trying to find one of these "foot in the door", GS-5 level jobs or something along those lines. Every job I've ever had, I always start out slow and end up being the go to guy for everything. I enjoy working with people (unlike 99.9% of the IT professionals I meet), I enjoy a challenge. I just don't get why the VA would make an investment on someone like they have me, and not even make the slightest attempt at helping me find some better employment within their ranks. Return on your investment, ya know?

Hell, 35K a year would be a HUGE step up for me at this point. I'd be a happy man just makin' $20 an hour.

And yes, I know what it's like being here by yourself. I grew up in Georgia but the military took me all over and brought me here for my final tour before I decided I'd had enough. Luckily I made good connections along the way, found the love of my life out here, and not a day goes by that I miss my old life amongst my overly-dramatic family and friends back home in the south. None of that BS out here! And hell, I'm getting married at Stone Brewery in May. If anyone were to ask me why I chose to stay here in this notoriously misunderstood state ...at least we know how to make real beer out here!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #48
Senior Member
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
MurphyZ's Avatar
Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
Joined: Jan 2009, #12441
Location: Barksdale AFB
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
i feel for you thank goodness that ATC is needed in the service and out of the service. if i didnt have this, i would be working (read unemployed) at a garage doing brakes.

thank you Air Force for giving me a career.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:10 AM   #49
Senior Member
JCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
JCfromDEMELLO's Avatar
Marines: I was a mechanic
Joined: Feb 2010, #30593
Location: SoCal
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
JCfromDEMELLO's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry if it looked like I was steppin' on some toes there. Certainly didn't mean to. Just as most people have no clue what my industry is actually like on the inside, I'm sure I'm pretty clueless on the realities of the IT industry.

I was basing a lot of my bitterness on recent experiences with a guy that was making over $100K a year and complaining that he didn't have any money. Modest home, wife, no kids, paid off vehicle and no college, so therefore no student loans. He swore he was struggling. I told him either you have a $1000 a day coke habit or you're lying. He used taxes as his excuse. BS.

NMCI helpdesk, eh ...everyone keeps telling me to get in with help desk and work from there. I used to be the guy taking unofficial phone calls from folks needing support when I was active duty and later on, I was the guy on the phone or email helping my fiancee's law firm (because their IT guy was worthless and a product of nepotism). I don't really like trying to explain this crap to folks on the phone when I know all I need is like, 5 minutes behind their desk and I could fix it. I have felt the pain of help desk guys and I can understand why the turn over rate would be high.

I'm A+ already and up to my eyeballs in Microsoft curriculum at the moment with CCNA in the distant future. If anyone were to ask me my 10 year goal, I'd tell them I want to be an ethical hacker and work for the new cyber defense department the Fed Gov't just created. I don't wanna mill around and just be "the IT guy". I just feel like being in school and trying to learn this stuff as opposed to being on the job and getting the experience is what's killing me. But I can't even get into the fed work study program coz EVERYONE in there is already in IT. They have no room for me.

If anyone knows of any entry level positions making even $14-$15 an hour, it'd be more than I'm making now. And honestly, blowing the dust out, changing parts, upgrading memory, doing virus and malware removal, that stuff's fun to me. Welding and fabricating is fun and enjoyable and gives me a creative outlet and a sense of accomplishment at the end of the week, but it sure ain't gettin' me outta debt anytime soon. And it isn't earning me any credit in the IT industry.

...Never pay to much attention my angst on this stuff. I vent a lot but I know how fortunate I am to have a steady job in this economy. Let alone the fact that I have a boss I can tell to go fuck himself sometimes and he just laughs and tells me how much I brighten his day, lol.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #50
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Doc.SS's Avatar
Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Joined: Oct 2009, #23899
Location: Oceanside
Gender: Dude
Posts: 4,355
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
very sound advice...anyone can use
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #51
Member
STEVON is on a distinguished road
Name: STEVO
Joined: Jan 2010, #29806
Location: San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 50
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery
Money Management

Making $100K with wife and kids to pay for is not a lot of money when living here in southern California. Tax load on any income over 50k is brutal even with deductions. If wife isn't working, bills are effectively doubled but there is no substitute for money management. When I moved out here getting paid $9.50 an hour to do the same job I was paid $35 an hour on Wall street in New York, Had to carefully manage my lifestyle to match my income. Cook inexpensive meals at home, not use the car, bike or walk to local supermarket or post office. Find free things to do like Balboa park, free access days to museums, beach walks and the like. When I asked my employers why I was paid so little and treated so poorly all they said was "Kid, don't you know about the sun tax? if you don't like the way we treat you, go back over the border to wherever you came from, we didn't ask you to come out here!" Not exactly a warm welcome but at least they were being honest about what they thought of "tourist" workers. After getting over the shock, buckling down and making a descision to stay, found ways to improve my situation on my own with no help. Having a joyful career is possible but not a real objective for me. I expect a job to pay me a living wage, benefits and long term employment. Anything beyond that seems to be fantasy. Work ethic, think of a job as being paid to be somewhere you don't want to be, doing something you don't want to do. My private life is my pearl and where I expect happiness to develop. That's something I can change without corporate approval or support. Family friends and hobbies are priorities and the job just pays the bills. I'm still me no matter who I work for!
PM me if you want me to set you up with the NMCI help desk job
In between contracts, build the vehicles that I could never otherwise afford. Check out my Tacoma project, got it for $8500 on eBay, it has 32k miles on it! http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s.../29806/cat/500
1995 NSX T-top http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/sh...r=11453&sort=1

Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfromDEMELLO View Post
Sorry if it looked like I was steppin' on some toes there. Certainly didn't mean to. Just as most people have no clue what my industry is actually like on the inside, I'm sure I'm pretty clueless on the realities of the IT industry.

I was basing a lot of my bitterness on recent experiences with a guy that was making over $100K a year and complaining that he didn't have any money. Modest home, wife, no kids, paid off vehicle and no college, so therefore no student loans. He swore he was struggling. I told him either you have a $1000 a day coke habit or you're lying. He used taxes as his excuse. BS.

NMCI helpdesk, eh ...everyone keeps telling me to get in with help desk and work from there. I used to be the guy taking unofficial phone calls from folks needing support when I was active duty and later on, I was the guy on the phone or email helping my fiancee's law firm (because their IT guy was worthless and a product of nepotism). I don't really like trying to explain this crap to folks on the phone when I know all I need is like, 5 minutes behind their desk and I could fix it. I have felt the pain of help desk guys and I can understand why the turn over rate would be high.

I'm A+ already and up to my eyeballs in Microsoft curriculum at the moment with CCNA in the distant future. If anyone were to ask me my 10 year goal, I'd tell them I want to be an ethical hacker and work for the new cyber defense department the Fed Gov't just created. I don't wanna mill around and just be "the IT guy". I just feel like being in school and trying to learn this stuff as opposed to being on the job and getting the experience is what's killing me. But I can't even get into the fed work study program coz EVERYONE in there is already in IT. They have no room for me.

If anyone knows of any entry level positions making even $14-$15 an hour, it'd be more than I'm making now. And honestly, blowing the dust out, changing parts, upgrading memory, doing virus and malware removal, that stuff's fun to me. Welding and fabricating is fun and enjoyable and gives me a creative outlet and a sense of accomplishment at the end of the week, but it sure ain't gettin' me outta debt anytime soon. And it isn't earning me any credit in the IT industry.

...Never pay to much attention my angst on this stuff. I vent a lot but I know how fortunate I am to have a steady job in this economy. Let alone the fact that I have a boss I can tell to go fuck himself sometimes and he just laughs and tells me how much I brighten his day, lol.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:23 AM   #52
Senior Member
JCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
JCfromDEMELLO's Avatar
Marines: I was a mechanic
Joined: Feb 2010, #30593
Location: SoCal
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
JCfromDEMELLO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
JC,

try to develop an attitude of gratitude. be grateful you get to help so many people customize and or outfit their trucks. IF you knew how many people get a real kick out of running their trucks and using them to recreate you would probably feel better about the day to day grind. in fact find a way to love the grind because thats how you extract the gold.

try to look at it this way: a miners main product isnt gold, its rock. you must move alot of rock to get the big lumps of gold. once you made a good stake consentrate on moving the rock and the gold will find you.

Happiness is a choice as is sadness dont become a slave to habitual thought. choose to look for the good and bad in the situation from a 3rd party perspective and try to enhance the good and negate the bad. even if this is of no use it beats the hell out of wallowing in some self destructive habitual reaction to something which is likely well out of your control. You negate your personal power when you act and think habitually. your operating on some sort of default mode and if your like most people that default mode is pretty buggy. I know mine is.

You cant change the past and their is very little you can do about the future as events usually unfold in a fairly random way. spend a large amount of your positive energy on making the Now as good as you can and then spread that good around as much as you can. learn to revel in other peoples happiness. and know that is just around the corner for you. that way when the brass ring comes around you will be clear in mind aware and ready to make your best effort to grab it for your self.

and finally dont beat yourself up about the past, you cant change it just forgive yourself learn from it, adjust your plan and move on.
Well, yes, sound advice, but I think you missed the bulk of my post. I have very little regrets about anything in my life and I am clearly thankful for the opportunities I've been afforded to this point.

The reality is I don't know how much further my credit union will keep pushing my credit limit up before finally topping off and telling me I'm maxxed out. Meanwhile, my college degree'd fiancee' can't find anything better than Starbucks and is constantly in fear for the future of her employment there as well. Me, I have a job that doesn't exactly cater to my current physical state of well being due to so many years of being treated as a human pack-mule by the Marine Corps. The VA docs are never too happy to hear I am still toting around 100-pound bumpers for a living.

A while back, when I decided to start this whole track towards IT, I looked at the talents and skills and likes and dislikes that I had. From there, it was a matter of being honest with myself and realizing that the custom fab industry leaves a lot of people high and dry and combing the streets looking for work. Race teams get disbanded on a whim, shops close at a moment's notice. When the economy tanked in late '07, our shop became this revolving door of fabbers with different levels of skill and every single one of them was struggling and complaining about how little money they made. Today when I run into some of those same guys, things haven't changed. They just work somewhere different. Everybody in my family has been locked into 9-5 manual labor, back breaking work all these years. I want to be the first to break out of that. I don't think that's an unrealistic goal. I don't think 34 is too old an age to still count on my future getting better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #53
Senior Member
JCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
JCfromDEMELLO's Avatar
Marines: I was a mechanic
Joined: Feb 2010, #30593
Location: SoCal
Gender: Male
Posts: 205
JCfromDEMELLO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
You were doing great till you got to this point then you fell back into the whole whoe is me speil. [habitual thinking] that shit doesn't inspire people it repels them. OK I'll do you a favor and cut that part from your Quote. Ok there its gone at least it is for me.

people have way too much of a BS attitude as it is they dont want more sob stories from you . Dont get mad at me or angry [habitual thought] because those are the facts. develop or at least portray a great attitude and you will attract all kinds of opportunity.

You are thankful for the opportunities afforded you in the past. awesome, what about being thankful for the opportunities afforded you in the future? untill you bust out of this "I am my Past" conundrum thats all you will ever be unless someone else gives you something on a silver platter . and last time I looked people handing out silver platters are a bit on the scarce side these days.

Adapt Improvise and Overcome, Marine!! and quite talking like a whiney butt baby ! and cut the whole whoe is me attitude it just drags you down.

Heres a reply to the rest of your post.

"Rise above it"

rise above it it by changing the way you approach it" literally Your attitude towards it or your angle of attack in relation to it.
Uuuuhhhh ...I honestly believe you must be replying to someone else after saying what you just did. I'm gonna walk away now.

Thanks,
J. C. P.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #54
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ryanjboutin's Avatar
Navy: ET2(SS) & Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
Joined: Mar 2009, #14489
Location: Nevada deserts.
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,589
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
I may get to cross my name off the list!

Had my second interview, and they said I pretty much have the job and the have one other guy to interview as a courtesy.

Moneyyyyyyyy

Work

They drink beer throughout the day though
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #56
Member
STEVON is on a distinguished road
Name: STEVO
Joined: Jan 2010, #29806
Location: San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 50
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery
A 75% travel job

Ryan,

Wow, good for you!
I am being interviewed for a high travel position out of Virginia for a DoD server/software deployment project. It's a 50% to 75% travel position, don't really like travel but the pay is good and it will keep my TS clearance active. Position lasts until September, not much else is going on here in San Diego DoD or private sector.
Anyone think I should do it?

Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
I may get to cross my name off the list!

Had my second interview, and they said I pretty much have the job and the have one other guy to interview as a courtesy.

Moneyyyyyyyy

Work

They drink beer throughout the day though
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #57
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ryanjboutin's Avatar
Navy: ET2(SS) & Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
Joined: Mar 2009, #14489
Location: Nevada deserts.
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,589
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVON View Post
Ryan,

Wow, good for you!
I am being interviewed for a high travel position out of Virginia for a DoD server/software deployment project. It's a 50% to 75% travel position, don't really like travel but the pay is good and it will keep my TS clearance active. Position lasts until September, not much else is going on here in San Diego DoD or private sector.
Anyone think I should do it?

Stephen
Right now, I'd say go where the money is. Gotta be a provider somehow. I only have to provide for myself, so I can live relatively inexpensively.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #58
Member
STEVON is on a distinguished road
Name: STEVO
Joined: Jan 2010, #29806
Location: San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 50
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery
Travel DoD job

Ryan,

Yeah, I don't have much of an option. Told the agency I'm ready to go so now I just have to wait and see! At least I'll be using the new Tacoma to drive out to Virginia! They want me staying there instead of deploying from my house in San Diego.

Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Right now, I'd say go where the money is. Gotta be a provider somehow. I only have to provide for myself, so I can live relatively inexpensively.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #59
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ryanjboutin's Avatar
Navy: ET2(SS) & Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
Joined: Mar 2009, #14489
Location: Nevada deserts.
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,589
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVON View Post
Ryan,

Yeah, I don't have much of an option. Told the agency I'm ready to go so now I just have to wait and see! At least I'll be using the new Tacoma to drive out to Virginia! They want me staying there instead of deploying from my house in San Diego.

Stephen
Well good luck with that.

Unfortunately, the company I interviewed with, went in a different direction lol

Oh well, I still have gas in my truck
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:21 AM   #60
Member
STEVON is on a distinguished road
Name: STEVO
Joined: Jan 2010, #29806
Location: San Diego
Gender: Male
Posts: 50
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery
DoD contract

Sorry to hear they didn't need you right away, hopefully you will get something better! I have some contacts in DoD contracting and they told me all that the projects he knows about have all had their funding put on hold, even two year old scheduled projects! Guess Obama spent too much money bailing out banks!

Regards,

Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Well good luck with that.

Unfortunately, the company I interviewed with, went in a different direction lol

Oh well, I still have gas in my truck
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FF RollCall! rab89 Jobs & Careers 64 11-09-2013 08:32 AM
SOUTH TEXAS TACOMA ROLLCALL!!! fftank76 Texas 71 04-22-2012 12:27 PM
Weekend off for San Diegans?? Special_K Southern California 103 11-22-2010 03:02 PM
Still Unemployed... cmack Jobs & Careers 19 10-02-2009 10:36 PM
san diegans Marioso 2nd Gen. Tacomas 51 06-03-2008 08:22 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.