Krans, BeeRadd, The Traveler and AMG4LIFE at Ocotillo Wells

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Southern California

Notices

considering relocating

Old 02-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
tisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Alex
tisher49's Tacoma Gallery
considering relocating

so I am finishing up a one year position as a physics teacher in CT. I have looked at a few schools for next year that are in southern california, one in palos verde and one in claremont... I do not like the fast paced, cut-throat lifestyle of my current area (hence why I went to college in maine) and have heard great things about So-cal. Just thought I'd see if some of the so-cal guys on this site could give me some advice or maybe what you all do and don't like about the area. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
tisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the roughtisher49 is a jewel in the rough
oh and the fact that i just signed on to my pandora account and the first song to play without me even touching anything was going back to cali by the one and only notorious....it must be a sign from the internet gods
Old 02-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Can't help you out with your decision, but maybe the music Gods are telling you something. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i moved from upstate ny. I love it here. Offroading everywhere. And where else can you surf or snowboard the same day. I live in Grand Terrace. Its about 25 miles east of claremont. Nice area traffic sucks and SUUUPPPPEEERRRR Hot in the summer. I love it here, most of the time. Alot crappy drivers and crappier people.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
i moved from upstate ny. I love it here. Offroading everywhere. And where else can you surf or snowboard the same day. I live in Grand Terrace. Its about 25 miles east of claremont. Nice area traffic sucks and SUUUPPPPEEERRRR Hot in the summer. I love it here, most of the time. Alot crappy drivers and crappier people.
yeah ive been warned about the traffic but someone told me it wasnt that hot in the summers but ill take your word over theirs lol...how hot are we talkin here and is it a dry or humid heat? I can deal with the dry heat, ive been to nevada in the summer n although it was hot as balls since it wasnt humid it didnt bother me all that much
Old 02-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah It's great here....we are bankrupt, overpopulated, cost of living is threw the roof, not an honest politician in sight, tax em' more is often said in Sacramento, go somewhere else. lol But it all comes down to what you feel. Listen to the little guy inside of you.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
Yeah It's great here....we are bankrupt, overpopulated, cost of living is threw the roof, not an honest politician in sight, tax em' more is often said in Sacramento, go somewhere else. lol But it all comes down to what you feel. Listen to the little guy inside of you.

don't listen to him, he is from Bakersfield. eeewwww

socal ftw
Old 02-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
don't listen to him, he is from Bakersfield. eeewwww

socal ftw
lol..... to that. But maybe It's true.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisher49 View Post
yeah ive been warned about the traffic but someone told me it wasnt that hot in the summers but ill take your word over theirs lol...how hot are we talkin here and is it a dry or humid heat? I can deal with the dry heat, ive been to nevada in the summer n although it was hot as balls since it wasnt humid it didnt bother me all that much
Dry heat but melt the skin off your bones heat. its regularly 105-110 plus during july/august. I say dry heat my ass still takes your breath away every time you go outside. but when everyone out here walks around in a parka and im still in tshirtand shorts its nice. Like the fact it was almost 70 today. where back in Albany it was 20. If you come to Cali as a student you may be able to keep your home adress (permanent adress) in NY. I own a house in NY so my residency(house) in NY trumps apartment in Cali. No stupid smog checks, no crazy taxes, no worries.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #11
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
I think SoCal, in general, has that fast paced, cut throat lifestyle, at least it feels like that to me. Can't wait for both my wife and I to graduate and move out of state.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
i like CA too much to leave but i can understand why people would want to. it's a great place to live but it costs alot to do so. i live in the ventura area and i love it. it's right next to the beach and other great towns like ojai and santa barbara are very close. ventura is far away from LA but close enough that it wont take you forever to get there for those unfourtunate times you have to go there. check out ojai, ventura, santa barbara, goleta area's

some pics from ojai

Old 02-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
thanks for all the advice... i definitely think i should go out there and check it out before i make any decisions... but so far I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. Like any where I think a lot of it is what you make of the area your in.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
bisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant future

bisdak10's Tacoma Gallery
i live in the south side of LA, close to long beach. i love it!!! 5mins to the beach, 45 mins to "cleghorn", 30mins to LAX. 30min to donwtown LA. weather is always great...except for the 100's in the summer.

the bad:

1. SMOG!!!! see it every morning.
2. TRaffic!!! rush hours are freaking crazy!!!
3. Cost of living!!! i use to live in san antonion tx and socal is darn expensive
4. LAWS!!! there is stupid laws everywhere even up the mountains!!! haha...
5. Rain!!! it rains... couple times a year (handful) = car always clean

i suggest, dont move yet but instead, have a long vacation here then you can make up your mind.

reason im staying is because of family
Old 02-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Alex, Come to California. We are broke and we need a larger tax base. Our schools need you. We need to fill a 20B budget deficit, and our backs are already too burdened to take anymore.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #17
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler View Post
if your trying to get away from fast paced, cut throat lifestyle then not so sure So Cal would be a good place to move
I agree. I got my throat cut 5 times in the last 3 years when I had to commute 30 minutes up north.