1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A good place to live in LA

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by blackhawke88, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Mar 15, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    bishtacova

bishtacova Don't buy a Ford

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    4 leaf TSB, reflash ECM, Eurostyle antenna, thule roof rack, bed extender
    Having lived in LBC for nine years, definitely take the gig if it's near the metro. Traffic over time will wear on you. There's a parking structure near the LBC metro line. Belmont shore is cool as is california heights. Or at least have the option to take the metro just in case!

2. Mar 15, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Nope.....her old Philipino parents.....they have a nice rubbermaid storage shed he can call home.

3. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    ruler

ruler Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal - Los Angeles - SGV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma, TRD Sport, DC 4x4
    Fox Extended Travel Coilovers 2.5 (front), Fox 2.0 shocks (rear),Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expedition leaf pack, AllPro front plate style bumper,BHLM, GrillCraft MX series Grill, ATX Thug 17inch rims, Toyo Open Country MT (295,70,17), TRD CAI,Rear smoked LED tail lights, slimcubby HID Head Lights (50w 1200k), ADVMonster 60 Series 3600 Lumen LED Off Road Lights , Pioneer Avic-F700bt (navigation,head unit)
    I work in DTLA and I commute from the SGV everyday and it freakn sucks, especially with all the construction they are doing on the 10 fwy.. I'm about to move somewhere closer to downtown or at least somewhere near the Metro.

I considered moving to DTLA but the rent is outrageous, and you can get something way better and more affordable a few miles away, oh yeah and parking sucks in Downtown so get ready to fork out for that

4. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    unless you have at least $500k-$750k for a house/condo, you can give up on getting a garage (unless you can find a house to rent).

i live near LMU and there are some good areas there, but you are still going to have a sucky commute. on bad days, you can figure an hour commute to and from downtown.

for rentals, you can try:
    westchester
    culver city
    marina del rey
    santa monica
    venice
    torrance
    hawthorne
    el segundo

figure $1.5k-$2k a month for rent for 1 bedroom and $1.7k-$3k for a 2 bedroom

5. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Can't give any insight as far as living, but good luck on the job! Currently trying to land another job myself since I was laid off from my previous accounting job a few months ago.

6. Mar 16, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    ouch... like i mentioned earlier, Northeast L.A. is a hidden goldmine...

where i have my studio, rents are about $800 to $900 for a 1 bedroom, $1,000 to $1,500 for a 2bedroom... 3 bedroom house down the street just got rented out for $1,600 a month...

downtown L.A. is about 20 to 30 mins away by street in traffic... weekends, i make it down there in 15 mins by street...

7. Mar 20, 2010 at 1:31 AM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    For less expensive and accessible to downtown, there's some decent parts of Koreatown (just get something with enclosed parking). A friend of mine used to live in "east Hollywood" (near Western & Hollywood Blvd) and took the red line in to downtown for work years ago.

I'm not sure about a 1 hr drive from the LMU area to downtown. Lots of LMU students in my neighborhood (Playa del Rey, just west of Westchester) and it's taken me an hour to get to Santa Monica on a bad day (the 105 to the 110 might be better than the 405 to the 10, I only commute to El Segundo and don't drive the freeways during the week very often). You could take the metro to downtown, there's lots of park-and-rides and it might be just under an hour that way.

Also kinda depends on what you're looking to do when you're not working. Los Feliz is a cool area, although you will be surrounded by hipsters.

If you're looking in Long Beach, there are lots of nice parts, but make sure you look at the places in person, don't just make a deal off the internet since the good parts and the bad parts are kind of interspersed and only a few blocks across in some cases. Belmont's very cool and a nice area, but it is a bit pricey, especially if you want garage parking.

If you decide to go with somewhere near the beach, the membership fee for westsiderentals.com (it was $50 for 60 days when I last used it, but that was 4 years ago) is well worth it since private party rentals are going to be cheaper than big complexes who advertise in the free glossies and anywhere decent probably won't show up on craigslist.

8. Mar 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 [OP] wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    I got the job!!!!!

EDIT: and Im really interested in Monterey Park....had dinner there last night and love it!

9. Mar 22, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    ruler

ruler Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal - Los Angeles - SGV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma, TRD Sport, DC 4x4
    Fox Extended Travel Coilovers 2.5 (front), Fox 2.0 shocks (rear),Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expedition leaf pack, AllPro front plate style bumper,BHLM, GrillCraft MX series Grill, ATX Thug 17inch rims, Toyo Open Country MT (295,70,17), TRD CAI,Rear smoked LED tail lights, slimcubby HID Head Lights (50w 1200k), ADVMonster 60 Series 3600 Lumen LED Off Road Lights , Pioneer Avic-F700bt (navigation,head unit)
    Congrats on the job !!

So have you looked at any places yet ? Monterey Park is decent, they just built brand new shopping center/ theater / apartments off Atlantic, dont know how much they are going for but they look nice

10. Mar 22, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier

monteray park is cool, i am not toofar from there. where is the new job at. too lazy to look if you posted it already

11. Mar 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    congrats on the job.

welcome to the jungle...

12. Mar 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    ya know, guess that means you will be wheeling with us more often?

:D:D:D

13. Mar 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 [OP] wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    thanks guys! The job is downtown, 8th street and Figueroa. Once I get situated this summer I will be at all the meets :D as long as I get my truck all finished up (bumps and bypasses), not to mention axles, by Hassim, I'll be able to keep up better too :thumbsup:

14. Apr 3, 2010 at 10:51 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    i lived in santa monica and the wife commuted into the heart of la, right next to union station. usually took her 45-1hr. i liked living out there. culver city is supposedly nice, as i knew a few people that lived out there. depending on your job, you could do as others have suggested and take the metro train. i had a friend that worked at the LADWP adn rode a bike from union station.

Products Discussed in

To Top