1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baja 500 - heres the story!

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by Marioso, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jun 8, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    man u got lucky!! u got fast straight aways. like i said the guys made that pool of water but the racers were going through with caution, which i totally understand. but man nice location!. 1000 is ending in la paz not a loop. i got video but my gfs sister took em off my flip instead of copying them off

2. Jun 8, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    LilManny

LilManny socaltaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    San Diego, CALIFORNIA. (Rancho del Rey/ otay ranch
    Vehicle:
    06 Black Crew Cab TRD SPORT 33' KM2
    DR coils, camburg UCA's, procomp AAL, 285' BfG km2 Mud Terrains, Double Din touchscreen stereo, Kicker 12' sub behind seat with 800watt amp and custom box,Flowmaster Exhaust, cb radio, race/ 2m radio, crossfab lightbar, 3 9' procomp motorsport halogens. Intake coming soon. Also have custom 6 foot flagpole to represent my charger flag on!
    Once we started talking to them they told us that they needed help chasing both cars.. They were running a class 12 and a class 5 open baja bug. They asked if we could help chase and we said we only came to watch and that we would be leaving at around 1pm on saturday... They eventually convinced us and got us a room at their hotel. So we decided that we would go down to Piedras Gordas then Ojos Negros and then down to km 77 before turning around and gheading back to ensenada.
    The plan from there was that once we got back into town My friend Jorge and I would drop off mike at the hotel so he could pick up the racer's truck and take it down the other way towards San Vicente and Santo Tomas on the Pacific side...
    At around 5 both cars had made it through tech inspection but they noticed a leak in the clutch petal so we immediately sent their mechanic to tj to take out the petal off their prerunner bug and bring it back for the race car... While we stripped off all the skins off the bug and unbolted the full skid plate underneath!! Holly Crap they use A LOT of bolts under there!:eek:

We got it all fixed and both cars were good to go after some minor engine tuning by Don Hatch

Race day i set my alarm to meet mario at 4am but I never got a call and my calls to him would not go through! Waited till about 5 then went back to bed and at around 930 we all finished up our plans and saw on the map where we would be going. As we were leaving the parking lot A fucking dumbass backed into my truck and dented my front bumper with his steel rear bumper!!:mad: but luckly the owner of the race team we were with said he would take care of it.
    anyways we headed out to piedras gordas saw them bo by there and hurried out to catch them at Ojos.... coming into ojos took forever because the military had their checkpoint set up and were causing a long delay we were able to catch them there at the road crossing and then down at rm 77 on our way back from there however we had to get back through ojos and the mess was worse! there was chaos everyone trying to get into one lane!! check it out!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IT ONLY TOOK ME ABOUT AN HOUR TO GET BY!! i took the dirt road on the side and just stepped on it I hauled ass right by the cops and soldiers and since a lot of trucks werre following they didn't say anything.. As we were coming into ensenada we realized that Mike never got the keys for the other truck he was supposed to take down!! so I said F**k it lets go they only have enough gas to make it down to San Vicente
    We stopped at the hotel to pick up another gas can and we headed down to San Vicente where we were pitting and changing both rear tires on the class 12 and putting in two cans of fuel. The class 5 was running first in its class and the 12 was 2nd in class. We made the pit for the 12 and took off to catch them both at Santo Tomas! At around 10 pm the class 5 still hadn't come trough so we were told to head up towards the finish and wait for the 12.. we finmally puled into ensenada at around midnight and waited to hear from anyone! everyone was out of radio range and we were the only ones who saw the 12 come in at 2am! the 5 broke down at ojos on the way back at around 5am.. we slept for a couple hours and drove back sunday morning!!!

3. Jun 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    Yeah dude, I found this spot last 500 when we were near ojos negros. I went through there on the quad and saw the straight away. I knew it would be a good spot to spectate because it's remote so nobody is ever there, and it's a straight away. Plus you have a sort of aerial view of them as they are coming down into the wash. It was exactly RM 395. As you can tell, we do our HW to find good spots :D

4. Jun 8, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    LilManny

LilManny socaltaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Vehicle:
    DR coils, camburg UCA's, procomp AAL, 285' BfG km2 Mud Terrains, Double Din touchscreen stereo, Kicker 12' sub behind seat with 800watt amp and custom box,Flowmaster Exhaust, cb radio, race/ 2m radio, crossfab lightbar, 3 9' procomp motorsport halogens. Intake coming soon. Also have custom 6 foot flagpole to represent my charger flag on!
    having trouble uploading the pics

5. Jun 8, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    Manny Fuck yea dude! We did the same thing, we took the dirt road on the sides of the highway.. Fuck waiting in that long ass line that wouldn't move for shit.

6. Jun 8, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    where the yellow sign is on the fence, i was coming out. everyone made three lanes to get out, while a buggy was tryna get in. i was so pissed, i got to the soldiers and got even more pissed cuz they had the nerve to search my truck come on, two gueras in my truck!!! plus trucks dusty as fuck. anyways. the wash u talk about david, thats not the wash in my pictures right? how far down that road did u go? u passed the curve where the road is on different levels? i saw a bunch of tacomas, grey ones about 3, one 09 the other 05 - 08 models

7. Jun 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    LilManny

LilManny socaltaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Vehicle:
  8. Jun 9, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Who's David?:p No, the wash/valley i'm talking about is about 3-4 miles in from Ojos Negros. I saw a bunch of Tacomas also. I saw maybe 2 red ones near Ojos so I though that might be you.. but I don't think it was.

Here's a picture - The blue lines are the race track, and where the arrow is pointing is where we camped out at. Last race, we were the only ones there. This time, we were surprised that there were actually two other groups of people camping there as well.

untitled_c93236b0e0b479088cd45ef90c73ce9addcf5f80.jpg

9. Jun 9, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    WTF!!! I put the link for a different picture and this shit comes out.. LOL
    Idunno what's going on.

10. Jun 9, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    i mistake u with the david who has the silver tacoma the older guy. two red tacomas? one had to have been me. blue ice chest in the back. white girl next to me. we were in 3 - 4 miles ill show u a picture of the spot. hold on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this was where we were first at

i was in these areas between 530am - 2 or 3pm

11. Jun 9, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    nah i didnt stick around for those. maybe class 7 tacoma is last thing i saw. im lying! i caught glimpse of the stock lexus

12. Jun 9, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    J4RR

J4RR Well-Known Member

Member:
    The OC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD SPORT 4X4
    I'll post pics of the Lexus at contingency as soon as I can, there were only 2 starters and 2 finishers in the Stock Full Class.
    BTW the team I chased for Rigsby Racing #115 came in 7th in Class 1! We beat 10 Trophies and 10 class 1's! Would've done alot better but we had some overheating issue for a while our drivers had to take it easy for about 1/3 of the race.

13. Jun 9, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    Holy crap guys that all looks like a shitload of fun!

I always wanted to go to the 1000 since I saw Dust to Glory, but didn't have the Taco yet. I'll see if i can make it this year and maybe I can meet some of you guys.

Manny, what team did you help out?
    I'm totally jealous, would've pitched in at a moments notice.

Keep the pics coming!

14. Jun 9, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    ME?

Thanks for the photos of the race action. Bummer on the federales not clearing out on race day. Someone from SCORE should have made the arrangements with their comandante.

15. Jun 9, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    eh wasnt that bad they left around 515am. theyre just real idiots. shitty traffic control skills. theyre just STUPID all around

16. Jun 9, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Joe Bacal driving the SCORE Stock Full Lexus is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Always cool to see him out there finishing the races and staying on top of the points race. :)

17. Jun 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    whats the story behind that lexus, sposored by cancer association? i could be completely wrong

18. Jun 9, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Joe was a test driver for TRD for something like 20 years, if I remember the details correctly. He was diagnosed with cancer, went through treatment, and came out healthy.

He's now racing, backed by Toyota, King, and I'm not sure who else, and advertises for Cancer Treatment Centers of America. I'm assuming they're a sponsor since they get a ton of exposure through him, but his first-hand experience with them makes him a uniquely suitable representative.

That Lexus is built and race prepped by Geiser Brothers -- the same guys who build just about every winning Trophy Truck in the SCORE series.
    http://geiserbros.com/www.geiserbros.com/Welcome.html

19. Jun 9, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    Marioso

Marioso [OP] Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    yeah the lexus is pretty neat. U got a website for ur build? I read from 1 - 30 pages of ur build and from pg 88 down to 70

20. Jun 9, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    I haven't built the photo gallery for my website yet, but I do have an outdated build on ttora. I'll need to update one of these months as well. It shows the gory details and progression from my original plan and ignorance to where I am currently. Still have lots to learn and tons to do, but it's closer every week. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top