Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Southern California (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/southern-california/)
-   -   NOOBS!! 2 Lost Hikers in Holy Jim (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/southern-california/271100-noobs-2-lost-hikers-holy-jim.html)

The Traveler 04-01-2013 01:06 PM

NOOBS!! 2 Lost Hikers in Holy Jim

http://www.ocregister.com/news/hiker...overnight.html

I mean...REALLY? How do you get lost in there? There's like 2 trails and it's packed with people day and night. I was there until about 6:00PM last night...still light out until around 7:20PM.

:facepalm:

benbacher 04-01-2013 01:11 PM

Were they injured? I had to get helicoptered off a mountain when I could see the road about two miles away. I couldn't move though.

The Traveler 04-01-2013 01:13 PM

No report of injury, they just called and said they were lost and it's getting dark, and then their phones died.

Makes sense if there's an injury, but I don't get how somebody gets lost in that tiny canyon.

Gelo760 04-01-2013 01:17 PM

Hope they get slapped with the bill .

The Traveler 04-01-2013 01:18 PM

I'm gonna get Brad and Kenny to come with me tonight and go on a little TW rescue mission. I know that canyon like the back of my hand...shouldn't be too hard to find them.

benbacher 04-01-2013 01:19 PM

Haha my rescue story was met with a similar response to yours, and it SUCKED getting called out by so many strangers. It was actually my first experience with an online forum so to speak. Local paper put it on the first page and spun me like an idiot.

So I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt haha

The Traveler 04-01-2013 01:20 PM

LOL Oh well...just gonna do the facepalm and try and find them.

Anybody else in the OC area wanna come out tonight, do a little wheeling and look for these peeps?

Gelo760 04-01-2013 01:21 PM

Hope this isn't a swatting call / April fools joke . Gonna cost $30k if they bust out the ghetto bird .

The Traveler 04-01-2013 01:25 PM

Oh man that would totally suck.

I think we have enough lumen power and PA's and train horns to find these guys tonight...anybody else down?

SoCaltaco65 04-01-2013 01:28 PM

Hikers: Hey I know, I'll light a signal fire....

snowtank 04-01-2013 01:29 PM

I like the fb quotes at the bottom. "If you get lost in that area you probably shouldnt shop at costco" haha hope they are ok. And good luck with the rescue mission tonight guys. TW ftw

straycat241 04-01-2013 01:34 PM

I remember one time a TW group went up and we found a hiker lady in day/warm weather gear freezing her buns off. the weather was like 30-50 with heavy drizzle. Mytoytaco gave her a ride down the mountain

majorhavok 04-01-2013 01:41 PM

I'm in for some wheeling.. but something tells me this will be over before I get off work.

The Traveler 04-01-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majorhavok (Post 6677134)
I'm in for some wheeling.. but something tells me this will be over before I get off work.

I'm pretty sure you're right about that.

majorhavok 04-01-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straycat241 (Post 6677088)
I remember one time a TW group went up and we found a hiker lady in day/warm weather gear freezing her buns off. the weather was like 30-50 with heavy drizzle. Mytoytaco gave her a ride down the mountain

I "rescued" a lady once that was walking around back bay. She and her tiny dog had become tired of walking on the trail and were miles from her car. She hailed me down asking for a ride.

If you have ever seen back bay loop, you'll know why this is funny. There was never any danger..

Rylee 04-01-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Traveler (Post 6677004)
I'm gonna get Brad and Kenny to come with me tonight and go on a little TW rescue mission. I know that canyon like the back of my hand...shouldn't be too hard to find them.

dont forget rylee. hes in too!

The Traveler 04-01-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majorhavok (Post 6677156)
I "rescued" a lady once that was walking around back bay. She and her tiny dog had become tired of walking on the trail and were miles from her car. She hailed me down asking for a ride.

If you have ever seen back bay loop, you'll know why this is funny. There was never any danger..

:rofl: I bike the loop every week hahaha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rylee (Post 6677173)
dont forget rylee. hes in too!

Sweet! :D

Kevoh 04-01-2013 02:16 PM

I'd come tonight but truck is officially in shop as of lunch break.

Is that the trail we just did on Saturday brosef?

TnRedNeck721 04-01-2013 02:24 PM

wow. just wow! I don’t go hiking much(hoping to change that this year) but i always take a out door GPS, 2 flash lights water, a few snacks. Maybe a light jacket and a map. I use a north face solaris 35 back pack as a day pack. also I always pay attention to where trails meet and which one i was on. me and a buddy hiked 3.5 miles out from back packing/camping because his tint did not have a rain fly,(it was lost) and it was about to rain. hiked out at 11:00 at night.

with dad doing the work he did for like 35 years. i have heard lots of stores about unplanned stuff happening and being stuck in the woods.(he was a wildlife officers. Exactly like your alls game wardens.) I’m not stupid when i go into the woods. I have never used more then half the stuff i took, but i’d rather have a few extra things and not need them, then need them and not have them. Because having them could mean life or death or me getting out on my own. and not calling 911. now if i got hurt yeah i probably would. but at least i should be able to give them GPS coordinates.

The Traveler 04-01-2013 05:18 PM

Honestly, this place is like Disneyland...picture the only hike with a waterfall in a county with a population of 3 million. It's loaded with people hiking by day, and wheeling by night.

I wouldn't bring anything more than a water bottle and a knife with me on that hike. How the eff do you get lost?!?!

Regardless, I'm going there tonight to see what I can find.