Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

MTB handlebars? Forks?

Old 06-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
BajaTaco96 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
BajaTaco96's Tacoma Gallery
MTB handlebars? Forks?

Alright, so after riding today for the first time from a long hiatus I've come to realize a few things.

1) I miss my full suspension bike.
2) My derailleur needs work because my bike decided to switch gears itself (which was extremely annoying) and the chain is real loose.
3) My seat decided it was a burly, black fella named Bubba in prison and I was "fresh meat"
4) My handlebars are super low and extremely skinny.

I figure three out of the four aren't too bad, but #3 was quite painful.

What are y'all's opinion on high rise bars on your MTB's? I've been looking at getting a set of Easton EA50 with 40mm rise. Would that be overkill? I just feel as if I'm leaning way over my bars I have now and it's wearing on my arms and back pretty good. Everything is so tight, I have to ride with my thumbs on top of the bar to keep from shifting accidently.

Also, what is a good, strong fork for a 26" that's under $350? I've been looking at RockShox, but don't know much about them. I've always used Fox on my bikes back in my froggy years, but sadly the bank don't flow as well anymore.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
You can also look at changing your stem to raise the bars I believe

Lmao at #3
Old 06-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
tacomabud has a spectacular aura abouttacomabud has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bud
tacomabud's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomabud
Changing the stem may be a little easier depending on what is currently on the bike. I would suggest trying a ~40mm stem, which is much shorter than the common XC bikes with 130mm. If you have a few riding buddies with some spare stems laying around, try them out. If not, a good local bike shop should allow you to try it out temporarily. It makes a DRASTIC difference in riding stance and overall control. If you can find a good deal on bars, it may be the change you are looking for. However, you may have to replace all of your cables if there is not enough slack (reason for trying out a shorter stem first).

I'm assuming you're looking for a 100mm travel fork? Rock Shox is a great brand, relatively cheap compared to Fox and a much better quality product compared to Suntour or RST! An inexpensive fork to look into is the Rock Shox Dart. It's their base line 100mm travel fork. The better models would be the 'Sid' or the 'Reba'. However, just like everything else, you get what you pay for.
I just put a Rock Shox Tora on my bike. It's an okay fork for now, and it allows me to adjust the suspension between 80-130mm so I can change the stance/geometry of my hardtail. I'm used to FR bikes, so I like the raked out geometry. I'm happy with the fork so far, and would definitely suggest Rock Shox to other people.