1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backpacking Food and Gear

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by amaes, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Sep 10, 2010 at 10:47 PM
    amaes

amaes [OP] Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
    So I'm starting to get into backpacking a little and I was wondering on some gear you have that you think makes a difference and some different food you like to enjoy. and I already have had the dried meals. I'm talking things that you make thats other then that. and some tips and tricks.

2. Sep 11, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    MRE's

3. Sep 11, 2010 at 4:53 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    I like to take some home made deer jerky. Also, you can buy fruit/veg mixes that are an entire serving in a handful. They come in small bags that are like 3 servings. Freeze dried soup mixes are great, just add heat and water.

4. Sep 11, 2010 at 4:53 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    P.S

Make sure anything you take is lightweight to compensate for the water you carry.

5. Sep 11, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Make sure you pack a gun. Four legged beast think the food you have is tasty too!

6. Sep 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Condoms.

7. Sep 11, 2010 at 3:27 PM
    YellowDog01

YellowDog01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4
    Peanut Butter and Totilla shellls worked well for me when I did a little bit of the AT. Doesn't sound too great right now but it was really filling...

That and Cashews.

8. Sep 11, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Food:

My girlfriend and I have been experimenting with a lot of stuff for longer trips (8 days) that had to all fit in a bear can efficiently and be as light as possible, while making concessions for what you actually want to eat. Pre-sliced salami in a flat pack and flat bread. Pack great in a bear can (if you are in an area where one is needed), and you can bring little fast-food packs of mustard and mayo if you want. Small-serving peanut butter packets in foil, you can squeeze it out and have only a flat piece of foil to pack out. Saves a lot of space and weight. Jerky. Semi-dehydrated fruit chunks. Better than totally dried fruit when you are getting sick of dry, crunchy things and you are in hotter, dryer areas. Also, on shorter trips, those baby-bel cheeses in wax. They keep well, and it is a real treat. Breakfast: instant oatmeal with dried apple or cranberries, and those Starbucks Via instant coffee packs. Super easy, no clean up, minimal impact/garbage.

As far as dried dinners, I think Mountain House is the best, the super-dehydrated ones that pack down small. Beef stroganoff, chili mac, and teriyaki chicken all rock. The lasagna is a mess, cheese sticks to eveything. Again, these are minimal impact. Just flatten the foil pouch, lick your spoon clean, you are done. No washing pots, etc. In fact, we only ever boil water, we never cook food in a pot for this reason. No food smells all over the place, and no need to use extra water.

One long titanium spoon is the only food untensil you need. An insulated plastic coffee mug with lid is a little bulky, but very light and worth if for keeping the precious coffee hot as long as possible.

Booze: beer is heavy and inefficient. Bring wine or bourbon. More efficient and lighter...pour it into a platypus bladder before you leave.

Gear tips:

After you put your sleeping bag in the stuff sack, stick it in a plastic grocery bag for extra water protection in a downpour/creek crossing (especially if its a down bag!). Also, wear super thin silk thermal underwear in your sleeping bag to keep the bag cleaner and to control moisture/persperation better. I sleep so much better since I started doing this.

Platypus flat water bladders are among the lightest water containers you can carry, and tough. You can attach a hydration tube to them, too. I generally never carry more than two liters to keep weight down, too.

Wear convertible pants (zip -off legs for shorts) to reduce clothing.

Marmot Precip Raingear, if you need it. Very light, packs small, good shell layer.

Fleece beanie and windfleece gloves, lightweight, maximize heat retention for minimal weight.

Camp shoes: Crocs. I know, I know, I thought they were the gayest of gay things on the planet too, but they are extremely lightwight and very comfortable after being in boots all day. Just don't get pink ones.

Stuff sacks: It helps to have a few different colored ones to organize your gear inside you pack. One for clothes, one for toiletries/in-the-tent stuff, one for survival/repair gear, one for first aid, etc.

9. Sep 11, 2010 at 11:13 PM
    amaes

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    Awesome info

10. Sep 11, 2010 at 11:18 PM
    dirtytaco2010

dirtytaco2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    south lake tahoe, CA baby
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Sport LB
    custom badging, Black Badges, tint, General AT/2's, nerf bars black, ultra-gauge,toytec AAL, removed mud flaps, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.75, AFE pro dry s air fliter, spidertrax, black rock 17'' wheels
    actually condoms are very useful. and whether or not it was a joke i keep them just in case. they are durable and carry a lot of water easily and safely if needed. also the lube can get you out of some "sticky situations" serioulsy though they are a good light weight item to carry. and a knife no one really mentioned that. and a fire stick or started or whatever matches get wet and you can run the back edge of your knife on the stick to spark. cant go wrong with a warm fire and some rubbers!

11. Sep 11, 2010 at 11:26 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Jetboil stove ... compact, lightweight, very fast to boil. A good water filter (MSR is a great brand). Thermarest ... love having a good sleeping pad (a 3/4 length is good enough). A good lightweight folding knife. Duct tape. Always duct tape! I prefer freeze dried meals like Mountain House, Alpine Aire, Backpacker's Pantry.

12. Sep 14, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    amaes

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    THanks for the great info guys keep it coming.

What are your guy's thoughts on Bivy sacks? I have a backpacking one man tent I use and its small and pretty light for what it is but have any of you guys used a bivy? they are super light but seems like you are sleeping in a coffin

13. Sep 14, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    So I have done tons of miles up here in the sierras and so far these are the things I have found to be helpful.

Heavy boots are a waste if you dont run 50+ lbs. Including water I run around 25-35lbs for a 4-7 day trip. and Sub 30 for a 2-5 day trip.

Water filters are a weight saver must but dont forget pills just in case.

Bivy sacks are nice for winter, or if your scared of the dark lol but nothing and i mean nothing beats the comfort / weight of a eagles nest hammock. Plus now you have a chair and a bed and its going to add a bunch of warmth and cool down if needed.

Trekking poles really do help.

A flint is a mandatory item but so are some matches lol.

Knife....

First aid....

Best backpacker food so far to accompany beef jerky would have to be cheese mash potatoes, you add a few crackers or pretzles and you got a perfect cheese mash soup!

14. Sep 14, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    amaes

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built

Products Discussed in

To Top