Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Ultimate Camping Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #21
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Ive never been camping in my truck, I really want to do it this winter but i dont have a shell or a truck tent, I might have to rig something up...
Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #22
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Dart View Post
I backpack whenever I can, and my gear list changes with the terrain, weather, companions, etc.

That being said, there are a few essentials I always take:

Gregory Baltoro 70 pack (Best backpack I have ever owned)
The North Face Snowshoe Sleeping Bag (0 degree)
Pacific Outdoor Research Ethos 9 Inflatable sleeping pad
Montrail backpacking boots
Black Diamond Trekking poles (knee surgeries suck)
Bandanas
Jetboil Flash Personal Cooking System
Gerber Mulitplier
Suunto Compass
Marmot rain gear (a must-have!)
and other stuff like firestarters, first aid, sunglasses, tent, etc.

I'll add or subtract stuff like gaiters, binoculars, fleeces, blah, blah, blah as the situation determines.
how does your north face sleeping bag pack up...is it light? does it compress easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Which clothes? Compression works very differently depending on whether we're talking baselayers, insulation, shells...
kinda like a hoodie, a extra thermal and some socks and underware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
Ive never been camping in my truck, I really want to do it this winter but i dont have a shell or a truck tent, I might have to rig something up...
Tarps and para cord
Old 10-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #23
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestaco View Post
kinda like a hoodie, a extra thermal and some socks and underware

5L should be more than enough for that and some extra.

Also, hoodie? What're you doing winter camping with cotton? Big no no.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #24
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
5L should be more than enough for that and some extra.

Also, hoodie? What're you doing winter camping with cotton? Big no no.
im kinda new to cold weather camping.....what types of materials do you suggest?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #25
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
im kinda new to cold weather camping.....what types of materials do you suggest?

Polyester and plenty of it.

Cotton is NEVER a good choice for outdoor activity - it holds many times it's weight in water and does not insulate when wet, it's heavy, and it packs poorly.

Layering is the key to success. A polyester base layer (Underarmor would be the best known example, although there are others that are less expensive) with polyester fleece over it it usually best. If you need a heavy insulating layer, get a baffled jacket with high grade synthetic insulation.

Also, being wind and water proof is often more important than heavy amounts of insulation. If you're cold and it's breezy, try putting on a windproof layer and nothing else and see how much you warm up. NEVER forget a weatherproof layer if you're going to be outside in cold conditions.

Don't overlayer during cold weather activity. You'll sweat and soak yourself from the inside out. If you're comfortably warm just sitting around, you're wearing way too much for activity. Remember, an active body can produce up to 1600% as much heat as a body at rest.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #26
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
I took my two older kids camping this weekend too? Perfect weather for it.

The youngest (16 months) still needs a couple of years before he's ready.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Polyester and plenty of it.

Cotton is NEVER a good choice for outdoor activity - it holds many times it's weight in water and does not insulate when wet, it's heavy, and it packs poorly.

Layering is the key to success. A polyester base layer (Underarmor would be the best known example, although there are others that are less expensive) with polyester fleece over it it usually best. If you need a heavy insulating layer, get a baffled jacket with high grade synthetic insulation.

Also, being wind and water proof is often more important than heavy amounts of insulation. If you're cold and it's breezy, try putting on a windproof layer and nothing else and see how much you warm up. NEVER forget a weatherproof layer if you're going to be outside in cold conditions.

Don't overlayer during cold weather activity. You'll sweat and soak yourself from the inside out. If you're comfortably warm just sitting around, you're wearing way too much for activity. Remember, an active body can produce up to 1600% as much heat as a body at rest.
ok.....so ployester with a few layers is the key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mexico Taco View Post
This is the way I go Camping. Been doing it a long time and comfort counts.
wow....nice camp set up!.....and yes the hammock is very nice cause im off the ground and its like bein held haha
Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
I took my two older kids camping this weekend too? Perfect weather for it.

The youngest (16 months) still needs a couple of years before he's ready.

thats great man i never had parents like that so it makes me happy to see a guy who takes his kids of fishin and campin.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #29
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yes it is a ultra lightweight and compact hammock with a rain fly and bug net all included.......im currently looking at a grand trunk ultralight or single parachute hammock because there a lot cheaper
I also like the Clark Jungle Hammocks! A hammock is definitely on my To Buy list.

I'm a huge minimalist when I camp, Ultralight backpacking is the best! I have a "daypack" but have gone on many weekenders with it.

Major items in my gear list:
Eureka Apollo 2 + footprint
Kelty Sleeping bag -15 (not sure which model)
Osprey Stratos
2 - Mountain Hardware compression sacks size L (Must have)
10' x 12' Tarp
Camelbak
Gravity fed water purifier
Northface Rain Jacket
Merrell Convertible pants
Swimming trunks
$1 fan
Knife
Headlamp and Flashlight
Big Agnes Air Core pad
Self made Cook Stove. Made from a tuna can, drilled holes in the side and put some denatured alcohol in when your ready to cook!

Food:
Tortillas
Pepperoni
Cheese in wax ( forget what they call it )
Spaghetti sauce in the new seal-able pouch!
Noodles
Tuna in pouch
Chicken in pouch
WHISKEY!!

Theirs a ton of good stuff I take.

Few pics from my last trip.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #30
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
This is how I camp during the summer when my shell is off. I'll be building a raised sleeping platform once I throw the shell back on.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #31
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thats great man i never had parents like that so it makes me happy to see a guy who takes his kids of fishin and campin.
Thanks. They love it...just being outdoors. It gets too hot here to camp from May through September, so when October rolls around, I grab the 1st open weekend I can.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #32

Quote:
ok.....so ployester with a few layers is the key?
It's your starting point.

If you want really good info on clothing systems, start reading up on Andy Kirkpatrick's stuff over at Psychovertical:

http://www.psychovertical.com/theartofnotsuffering

His perspective on wilderness clothing systems is the best I've found so far.

Also good:

http://www.psychovertical.com/thetru...blewaterproofs
Old 10-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post
I also like the Clark Jungle Hammocks! A hammock is definitely on my To Buy list.

I'm a huge minimalist when I camp, Ultralight backpacking is the best! I have a "daypack" but have gone on many weekenders with it.

Major items in my gear list:
Eureka Apollo 2 + footprint
Kelty Sleeping bag -15 (not sure which model)
Osprey Stratos
2 - Mountain Hardware compression sacks size L (Must have)
10' x 12' Tarp
Camelbak
Gravity fed water purifier
Northface Rain Jacket
Merrell Convertible pants
Swimming trunks
$1 fan
Knife
Headlamp and Flashlight
Big Agnes Air Core pad
Self made Cook Stove. Made from a tuna can, drilled holes in the side and put some denatured alcohol in when your ready to cook!

Food:
Tortillas
Pepperoni
Noodles
Tuna in pouch
Chicken in pouch
WHISKEY!!

Theirs a ton of good stuff I take.

Few pics from my last trip.

im trying to get into ultralight camping....but its tough man!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #34
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
im trying to get into ultralight camping....but its tough man!

True story!
I've been camping about 10x from spring til now. What that basically did was help me narrow down which gear I actually need and use. The first few times I was carrying items that I never used, so I eliminated those.

Then I just started researching ultralight camping gear/food. I watched a few youtube videos, and got good ideas on food, and gear from those guys. I recommend this, you may not agree with them, but it will get those ideas flowing!! And i frequently check out backpacker.com
Old 10-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #35
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
The Yellow Dart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
how does your north face sleeping bag pack up...is it light? does it compress easily?
It's light for a 0 degree synthetic bag (I won't do down -- after spending a night shivering in a canvas tent in a down bag with 2 inches of water on the floor, while my brother was snug in his synthetic, I've learned). I have the Long, too, so it's a little bigger/heavier.

3lbs. for a 0 degree bag is pretty good. It compresses down to about a 9x18 size. I can get it and my camp pillow into the bag compartment on the Gregory.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #36
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
The Yellow Dart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Food:
Tortillas
Pepperoni
Noodles
Tuna in pouch
Chicken in pouch
WHISKEY!!
Dude. Whiskey all the way.

I brought bottle of wine (poured it into a Nalgene) on a recent trip into the Alpine Lakes Wilderness -- just didn't do the job for the weight.

Same trip, I brought some salmon filets in the pouch, and tossed them on the fire to heat up (salmon+pesto+Ramen=Awesome) and when I took them off, I didn't realize there was a hole burned through the pouch. Salmon juice spilled all over my pants.

We were camping on the North end of a lake, and being upwind in bear country smelling of salmon leads to uneasy sleep.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #37

Quote:
It's light for a 0 degree synthetic bag (I won't do down -- after spending a night shivering in a canvas tent in a down bag with 2 inches of water on the floor, while my brother was snug in his synthetic, I've learned). I have the Long, too, so it's a little bigger/heavier.

3lbs. for a 0 degree bag is pretty good. It compresses down to about a 9x18 size. I can get it and my camp pillow into the bag compartment on the Gregory.
wow 3 pounds aint bad.....i am looking at a 15 - 10 degree bag so in theory mine should be a tad lighter
Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #38

Quote:

I brought bottle of wine (poured it into a Nalgene) on a recent trip into the Alpine Lakes Wilderness -- just didn't do the job for the weight.

Same trip, I brought some salmon filets in the pouch, and tossed them on the fire to heat up (salmon+pesto+Ramen=Awesome) and when I took them off, I didn't realize there was a hole burned through the pouch. Salmon juice spilled all over my pants.

We were camping on the North end of a lake, and being upwind in bear country smelling of salmon leads to uneasy sleep.
bumber....my last trip we were being played with by bobcats....not fun either. they make some freaky noises
Old 10-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #39

Quote:
True story!
I've been camping about 10x from spring til now. What that basically did was help me narrow down which gear I actually need and use. The first few times I was carrying items that I never used, so I eliminated those.

Then I just started researching ultralight camping gear/food. I watched a few youtube videos, and got good ideas on food, and gear from those guys. I recommend this, you may not agree with them, but it will get those ideas flowing!! And i frequently check out backpacker.com
yes i plan to go "backyard" camping to eliminated some things. Im shur i could ditch my folding shovel, but that thing shur is nice to have!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #40

Quote:

I can't camp with out it!

(salmon+pesto+Ramen=Awesome) <----This sounds amazing, I may have to borrow this recipe!!

For some reason I've heard of a lot of Bear attacks this year?!?! Mostly due to poor judgement on the meals (Person) part. In fact, at Red River Gorge, I place here in Ky, they passed new laws within the park that have you bury or hang your foods, and you cant cook where you sleep

Da Bears!!!

Products Discussed in this Thread