Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Ultimate Camping Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #4381
JayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud ofJayARRGHH has much to be proud of
Name: Jay
JayARRGHH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretacoowner View Post
that's awesome...price...not so much..
Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #4382
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayARRGHH View Post
that's awesome...price...not so much..
No kidding. E.x.p.e.n.s.i.v.e!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #4383
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
Having my new tent just sitting on my truck was driving me nuts so I had to test it out this weekend. Trip report: cold and rainy!
I tried to make the most of it but I really wished I had better weather.
My camp:

My neighbors:

Woke up to this...brrrr...:

Nice set up!

I got to do some camping last night.... not really intentional though.... Lets just say I got really drunk down at the pier and well.... I may or may not have woken up this morning under some palm trees a mile away from where I started drinking. Talk about being confused as hell after waking up.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #4384
Palehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Palehorse1's Tacoma Gallery
PowerPot - thermoelectric generator

Don't know how many of you are doing remote camping or living out of a rucksack during your camping trips but my wife bought me one of these as a surprise gift and it's pretty impressive.

The Power Pot Thermoelectric Generator.

Mine came with a small flexible LED light wand, the cables, a rechargeable lithium battery, some fuel gel stuff, and a folding stove. So far I'm digging it and am glad she ordered the battery for it as it is a pass through device - can charge a device off of it while it charges itself - which allows me to get a headlamp charging at the same time.

I've used it on our gas stove at home, on top of our Snowpeak Lite Max and even on a BBQ grill. After I get some trips in with it I'll be able to give a thorough review but so far I like it enough to add it to my rucksack.

Last minute addition/edit: Wife sent me the link to the coupon code she used for the stove which apparently isn't listed on their site.

http://youtu.be/Zu-4oj_eouw
Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #4385
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretacoowner View Post
that thing looks scary! I'd be afraid I'd fall out of the floor hatch in the middle of the night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
Nice set up!

I got to do some camping last night.... not really intentional though.... Lets just say I got really drunk down at the pier and well.... I may or may not have woken up this morning under some palm trees a mile away from where I started drinking. Talk about being confused as hell after waking up.
that's not camping Aaron...
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #4386
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
So I'll be around Asheville, Pisgah National Forest at the end of April, anyone care to point me in the direction of some really nice hikes, waterfalls, etc.. Anything that's worth seeing really, we're avid backpackers and will be looking for a primitive spot hopefully next to a nice water source and away from the crowds. Any local knowledge would be appreciated! We may be bringing a canoe as well, so any streams, rivers, or lakes that are nice to paddle, let me know! We're down to canoe/camp if you know a spot!

Thanks!

"Keep Calm and Hike On!"
Old 04-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #4387
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up our teardrop Saturday and took it to the redwoods. This is for our non-backpacking trips. Here is a teaser for now, and I'll post more later. I might have to do a thread on this.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #4388
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Picked up our teardrop Saturday and took it to the redwoods. This is for our non-backpacking trips. Here is a teaser for now, and I'll post more later. I might have to do a thread on this.
Can't wait to see this! I'm really interested in how the inside looks. I've been looking real hard at building one lately. Did you have yours custom made?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #4389
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
that's not camping Aaron...
I want to do some camping.... I need to before it gets too hot here. right now is perfect. gets up to about 85 during the day and about 60 at night. I do miss the mountains though...
Old 04-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #4390
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
Can't wait to see this! I'm really interested in how the inside looks. I've been looking real hard at building one lately. Did you have yours custom made?
Yes, it is really impressive quality and built to last the ages. We had it modified from a standard model they offer (Treeline Teardrops, model 509--a 5x9 body). We added cabinetry options, had them install stereo equip that we supplied (updgrade from their standard offering), did some custom work on the tailights (because I wanted a reverse light, which is not standard), added a ice chest/fridge sliding rack (which will fit an ARB or Engle), and the custom alumimun LPG tank and bracket (another option).
I'll just have to do a thread.
I was able to take pics of various stages of completion on several trailers in the shop, so you can really see the ribbing, jigs, wiring, etc. These guys do absolutley top-notch work with top-grade materials and will customize anything...if you have the $$$. The also sell almost all the parts, too, like molded aluminum trim, double-hinges, etc. But not the CNCd wood panels or aluminum skin.

You'd need a lot or room to build one.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #4391
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

God I want one of these so bad as my bug-out shelter and gear carrier. Ready to rock and roll at a moment's notice.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #4392

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post

God I want one of these so bad as my bug-out shelter and gear carrier. Ready to rock and roll at a moment's notice.
They have an offroad model that is incredible, includes LOA Dakars, stronger frame, etc. Thing is, it is VERY expensive, and the more stuff you put on these (roof rack, RTT, jerry can racks, more LPG bottles, etc.), the more it degrades the classic clean teardrop lines. As it is, my "onroad" model had 15 inches of frame clearance and torsion axles. I also upgraded to 15 inch wheels (14 is standard). it handles bumps well. My only concern offroad is the tire spec and sidewalls, but this is not intened for rough use. Forestry roads in decent repair will be no problem. It can handle big potholes very easily.

If I wanted full offroad bugout, I would likely do a military style trailer.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #4393
Mudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mudman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
I have a thermarest pad that I was planning on using. Bringing along a set of fleece pants with my 15° mummy bag - going to go about this as a trial and error mission to find what works best for insulation. You have any good ideas to try out?

A little nervous about the chill but definitely excited to give this a go. Going to set up the hammock this weekend and use it for a night to try it out before I hike.
Sorry for the late reply, I don't come on here often.

What kind of temps are you planning to use it in? I've found thermarest pads to work well during summer, but don't give me enough shoulder coverage. It's hard to say, as everyone sleeps a little different. Hammocks compared to anything else I've tried, has been the coldest sleep.

Your setup sounds like it should work okay.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #4394
Mudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mudman's Tacoma Gallery
A few photos from this weekend's camp.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #4395
Mudman's Tacoma Gallery
My Hammock setup

Love this Leatherman

Loved this new pack: Frost River Royale Isle Jr.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #4396

Firefighter:
Awesome pics Mudman. Im
Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #4397
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Taking the RTT for its maiden voyage in Yellowstone this weekend
Current weather forecast is 71*/43* on Saturday and 64*/40* on Sunday, 10% chance of precip.

I might get brave and test out the new 15* sleeping bag too!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #4398
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
this thread is killing me! shouldn't have come in here....still lots of snow in our mountains

luckily going to moab next week to get out...no new camping gear this year, but can't wait to test out the new camera lens
Old 04-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #4399

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Taking the RTT for its maiden voyage in Yellowstone this weekend
Current weather forecast is 71*/43* on Saturday and 64*/40* on Sunday, 10% chance of precip.

I might get brave and test out the new 15* sleeping bag too!
Schweet. We expect a full photo report.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #4400

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
this thread is killing me! shouldn't have come in here....still lots of snow in our mountains

luckily going to moab next week to get out...no new camping gear this year, but can't wait to test out the new camera lens
Cabin fever is really bad this year for me too. I have new toys to try out! I must go camping!

Quote:
Schweet. We expect a full photo report.
FULL photo report?!?!? You do realize a weekend in Yellowstone could mean 700 to 800 pics right?

Products Discussed in this Thread