Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Ultimate Camping Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #4661
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
You're taking me with you, right?
You definitely want to come. The Eastern side of the Sierra is pretty nice. The White Mountains are just a few miles away and have some of the oldest Bristlecone Pines the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #4662
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
Mountain house chili mac. Hands down the most delicious one they have. I have been known to even make it for dinner at my apartment its that good..... and maybe because i had no other food but thats beside the point. Lol
YES
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
agreed and the strogonff as well
YES

Chicken Teriyaki and rice is damn good too. That gives you 3 of each for a 9-day backpack...

The lasagne was a mess, I'd prefer the Chili Mac.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #4663
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Love that spot. Might be hitting the White's but want to hit June Lake/Convict Lake area too.
Hell yes. We work outr way up or down the east side between Conway Summit and Bishop depending on the timing, weather, and elevation for best fall colors on this kind of trip.

McGee, Convict, Lundy (near Mono), Parker, and we always hit Silver Lake Lodge campground on the June Lake Loop and get a killer omelette at the lodge. Damn, I'm getting pumped up now...
Old 09-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #4664

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You definitely want to come. The Eastern side of the Sierra is pretty nice. The White Mountains are just a few miles away and have some of the oldest Bristlecone Pines the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.
We hit Bristlcone a couple years ago. Very cool.

Oh and a very cold June Lake morning...
Old 09-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #4665
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
I've never been out that way, looks beautiful, I'll have to head out there sometime.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #4666

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Norcal?
More like East Cal. This is North Lake in the Bishop Creek watershed, just west of the town of Bishop on Highway 395.

A bit north of Mt. Whitney.

Shhhhhh......

Quote:
You're taking me with you, right?
No, you've been camping way too much lately. It's my turn now. You need to stay at home and do boring projects around the house for months.
Shouldn't you be darning your mittens and stockings for the coming blizzards?
Old 09-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #4667
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
No, you've been camping way too much lately. It's my turn now. You need to stay at home and do boring projects around the house for months.
Shouldn't you be darning your mittens and stockings for the coming blizzards?
But I wanna go camping...
Old 09-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #4668
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But I wanna go camping...
You should. Before it gets colder
Old 09-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #4669

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Fall Colors Report for the Bishop area.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #4670
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You should. Before it gets colder
What's cold got to do with it? I'll be camping through October (hopefully)
Quote:
Well I'm still gonna go here in a couple of weeks...should be about prime time for hte colors
Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #4671

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's cold got to do with it? I'll be camping through October (hopefully)

Well I'm still gonna go here in a couple of weeks...should be about prime time for hte colors
Sept/Oct it could snow or not-great time (in my opinion).

That spot looks really nice too.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #4672
DesertSand has a spectacular aura aboutDesertSand has a spectacular aura about

Coast Guard:
DesertSand's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Been queit in here...

Planning for our early October fall colors trip to Sierra/Bishop area in the teardrop trailer:

Home sweet Home.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #4673

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I think it is coming early this year. We were planning to go on Columbus Day weekend, but now we are moving it up a week and going the weekend of the 5th and likely won't go all the way down to Bishops and the higher elevations, and instead try lower elevations based on color change progress. We've been to Lundy many times, but never overnighted there. Great beaver ponds for reflections way back in there. We are overnighting there this time, and hitting Silver Lake, and likely doing a long hike up McGee.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #4674

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I think it is coming early this year. We were planning to go on Columbus Day weekend, but now we are moving it up a week and going the weekend of the 5th and likely won't go all the way down to Bishops and the higher elevations, and instead try lower elevations based on color change progress. We've been to Lundy many times, but never overnighted there. Great beaver ponds for reflections way back in there. We are overnighting there this time, and hitting Silver Lake, and likely doing a long hike up McGee.
Have you been to Red/Blue Lakes? I have been scouting through the Adventure book too. Last year, Carson Pass looked pretty nice but didn't hit the peak I was looking for-I was wondering if either of these two areas were a possibility.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #4675

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
I wish to go here. One of you will take me yes?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #4676

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can't quite make out where that is. Looks gorgeous though.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #4677

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can't quite make out where that is. Looks gorgeous though.
Thousand Island Lake in the Ansel Adams Wilderness.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #4678

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thousand Island Lake in the Ansel Adams Wilderness.
I looked. That's off of the June Lake Loop and about 15 miles or so for the trip. Really pretty area. Pacific Crest passes by it.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #4679

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Have you been to Red/Blue Lakes? I have been scouting through the Adventure book too. Last year, Carson Pass looked pretty nice but didn't hit the peak I was looking for-I was wondering if either of these two areas were a possibility.
I've been around Blue Lakes area and Carson Pass mainly in the summer for crazy wildflowers, but not in the fall. And Hope Valley is right there, too, which may become our new "let's get the heck out of town for one night" destination...

Quote:
Banner/ 1000 island lake. Been there, done that....just down the JMT a few miles is Ediza and the Minarets. VERY cool.

A marmot or chipmunk ate through my cooking pot stuff sack at 1000 island.

Trailhead access at Agnew Meadows near Mammoth. Or you can hike from Yosemite...
Old 09-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #4680

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been around Blue Lakes area and Carson Pass mainly in the summer for crazy wildflowers, but not in the fall. And Hope Valley is right there, too, which may become our new "let's get the heck out of town for one night" destination...
Hope Valley is pretty nice. We had a rally down at the campground next to the store/food place. Wasn't bad. Though it's right next to the road, it was pretty quiet.

Products Discussed in this Thread