Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Ultimate Camping Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #4762
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckcmdr View Post
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...BC%3BIK-580527

anyone use or seen this tent in person?

Havn't seen it in person, but looking at the pics, it looks like the floor seams are on the edge of the floor and walls. Not good for rainy camping.

Look for a tent that has the seams on the wall, meaning the floor extends past the floor and crawls up the wall a few inches.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #4763
SUPER-ER MOD
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
These look interesting. I would like to see how they do in high winds though - I'd be nervous since you don't have a solid support to resist the wind.
http://www.kelty.com/p-733-mach-4.as...airpitch-tents

Old 02-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #4764
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
These look interesting. I would like to see how they do in high winds though - I'd be nervous since you don't have a solid support to resist the wind.
People seem to like the Nemo version of those. Although I worry about waking up to a collapsed tent.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #4765
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
duckcmdr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Havn't seen it in person, but looking at the pics, it looks like the floor seams are on the edge of the floor and walls. Not good for rainy camping.

Look for a tent that has the seams on the wall, meaning the floor extends past the floor and crawls up the wall a few inches.

It says it has a tub floor ... I need to see this tent in person
Old 02-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #4766
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It says it has a tub floor ... I need to see this tent in person
Yea, it may be better to see in person. Hard to tell with the pics.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #4767

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
http://www.kelty.com/p-733-mach-4.as...airpitch-tents

Kelty makes great tents, IMO. I have had many tents (Coleman, Hilary, Kelty), and the Kelty's are by far the best without spending over $1k.

I recently got the Kelty Hula House. Trippy design, but the hula hoop makes the walls vertical, which is surprisingly nice to be able to actually stand, and walk around a small 4-6 person tent.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #4768
"old Brett", Tour Guide
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
BDN's Tacoma Gallery
Lurking around here for a bit now.
Anybody ever use Alps Mountaineering?
I have become a huge fan/consumer of their products. The tents simply can't be beat and I have bought and trashed just about every brand out there.
Just throwing that out there.

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/products/tents

imo, these are absolutely the best tent for the money.
For years with Other Brand tents I had to bring tarps to keep the thing dry in the rain. Not anymore.

I have two of their tents currently, The Taurus outfitter in a 2 man size, bought last season and very happy with it.
http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/al...r#.Uwewe_ldV8E

The other has been discontinued, it was the Alaskan model and has been used in a blizzard with 18" of snow for a week. The poles alone are 1" in dia. Dry as a bone and wind is not a problem at all. This tent is approaching 8 years in age and looks like new still.
The replacement for it is the same Taurus outfitter in the 5 man size.

I have used a few Kelty's, their not bad, best for backpacking imho.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #4769
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
People seem to like the Nemo version of those. Although I worry about waking up to a collapsed tent.
Nemo makes awesome stuff.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #4770
SUPER-ER MOD
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Kelty makes great tents, IMO. I have had many tents (Coleman, Hilary, Kelty), and the Kelty's are by far the best without spending over $1k.

I recently got the Kelty Hula House. Trippy design, but the hula hoop makes the walls vertical, which is surprisingly nice to be able to actually stand, and walk around a small 4-6 person tent.
Before I got the RTT I was a diehard Kelty fan. I still have my ground tent should I ever need it again. It's gotten a lot of use and still looks new. Plus I just liked their simple designs, made it very easy to set up /take down.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #4771
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...BC%3BIK-580527

anyone use or seen this tent in person?
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Quote:

THIS IS A BAD ASS TENT
Old 02-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #4772
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Joe how soon are you looking to buy?

Last March/April I got myself a real nice Kelty Gunnison Pro tent for ~$120 from Cabelas, normally they ran $300.. I'm guessing they were trying to move the previous year models fast. If you have some time I'd wait for what spring brings..
Old 02-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #4773
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post

Last March/April I got myself a real nice Kelty Gunnison Pro tent for ~$120 from Cabelas, normally they ran $300.. I'm guessing they were trying to move the previous year models fast. If you have some time I'd wait for what spring brings..
He has until April 4th
Old 02-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #4774
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDN View Post
Lurking around here for a bit now.
Anybody ever use Alps Mountaineering?
I have become a huge fan/consumer of their products. The tents simply can't be beat and I have bought and trashed just about every brand out there.
Just throwing that out there.

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/products/tents

imo, these are absolutely the best tent for the money.
For years with Other Brand tents I had to bring tarps to keep the thing dry in the rain. Not anymore.

I have two of their tents currently, The Taurus outfitter in a 2 man size, bought last season and very happy with it.

The other has been discontinued, it was the Alaskan model and has been used in a blizzard with 18" of snow for a week. The poles alone are 1" in dia. Dry as a bone and wind is not a problem at all. This tent is approaching 8 years in age and looks like new still.
The replacement for it is the same Taurus outfitter in the 5 man size.

I have used a few Kelty's, their not bad, best for backpacking imho.

alps are the ones making the browning tent and the person who started this worked for kelty for years.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #4775
If it flies it dies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post

Sooner than later. I can use my trekker but not wanting too. I should wait till cabelas opens in may or take a trip to hamburg. Didyou get that online or in store. Ill prolly get it from cabelas cause I I have gift cards for there.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #4777
"old Brett", Tour Guide
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
BDN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
alps are the ones making the browning tent and the person who started this worked for kelty for years.
I guess that means you heard of them
I learned something today. Thanks. I did not know the history.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #4778
GDubb13B is on a distinguished road
Army: SSG Field Artillery
Name: Ross
GDubb13B's Tacoma Gallery
awesome thread! I love camping hiking and exploring as well..
Old 02-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #4779
If it flies it dies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDN View Post
I guess that means you heard of them
I learned something today. Thanks. I did not know the history.
Nope. I just was trying to figure out who made the browning and came across that info.
im glad you have a true test review. Thanks
Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #4780
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Just a heads up for those of you in CA specifically the sf bay area, lyme disease has been found in ticks here, i don't know the details but they were saying it was in every park the tested in. I'll find details later.

Products Discussed in this Thread