Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Ultimate Camping Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ultimate Camping Thread

Well i went on my first camping trip of the fall/winter season yesterday. And i thought we need a thred where fellow campers, hikers, and backpackers can come in and share what gear they use, what worked out, and general stuff like that. Ill start:
I decided to try camping with a hammock instead of a tent, just to see if i liked it. I got an old hammock i have had for a while packed up some other basic gear with a few buddies and we hiked out a few miles to a river that runs through our area. I did enjoy the hammock. It was very very comfertable, BUT it was 40 degrees and i didnt bring a sleeping bag. All i had was a hoodie and army jacket and a beenie. So needless to say i was cold. But with a little tweaking to my current set up and the addition on a tarp rain fly close above me i should stay very warm on a few cold nights.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
like this thread already.

I do a lot of backpacking. Here is my list

Tent:Eureka 2 man and a Hennessy Hammock
Backpack: Kelty Tioga 5000
Sleeping bag- Kelty -10 degree mummy bag
light my fire firesteel
tarp
50' rope
stove- Whisperlite International
Bass Pro cookset
Katadyne
Sea to Summit pack cover
Camelback 2 liter
First Need water purifier
Big Agnes sleeping pad
Walmart chair pad
Nalgean
Leatherman
Survival knife (with all the survival tools on it)
a good map of the place I am hiking (screw GPS)
trail mix, slim jims
just add water meals
15 liter Outdoor Research dry bag/stuff sack
first aid kit

there are quite a few other things I have as well. Obviously I dont take all this stuff on one trip, depending on where I am camping will depend on what I take.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
like this thread already.

I do a lot of backpacking. Here is my list

Tent:Eureka 2 man and a Hennessy Hammock
Backpack: Kelty Tioga 5000
Sleeping bag- Kelty -10 degree mummy bag
light my fire firesteel
tarp
50' rope
stove- Whisperlite International
Bass Pro cookset
Katadyne
Sea to Summit pack cover
Camelback 2 liter
First Need water purifier
Big Agnes sleeping pad
Walmart chair pad
Nalgean
Leatherman
Survival knife (with all the survival tools on it)
a good map of the place I am hiking (screw GPS)
trail mix, slim jims
just add water meals
15 liter Outdoor Research dry bag/stuff sack
first aid kit

there are quite a few other things I have as well. Obviously I dont take all this stuff on one trip, depending on where I am camping will depend on what I take.
I hate you already you have a hennessy hammock.....i am quickly becoming a hammock camper and i want one i would also like to try out the Eureka 2 man ......is it a pain in the but to pull out set up and put back? Im working on my list now and will post it shortly.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #4

Shelters: Tarp, and a hammock
Sleeping bag: Usually a mummy type 20 deg. or below bag
Tools: Mechete, Military trench shovel, hatchet, small cooking pots and pans and a coffee cup, flashlight, lighter, and a lot more im shur im forgetting
Threds: Lots of socks and underware, and a nice warm hat.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery

In preparation for the next one, I think i have an idea on how to improve this setup....

Also I'm a big fan of hiking. i do it at least once a week
Old 10-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
hiking
camping
backpacking
mountaineering

you name it... i like it and do it
Old 10-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
it depends what type of camping i do and who im with. if im goin with dad on a huntin trip we bring a 2 man army tent with -20 sleeping bags and a bunch of mre's and peanute butter and tortillas. as long as its not gonna rain or snow i just gather leaves and pine needles and sleep on that under the stars. the tent is just in case it gets rough

if im goin with friends and were gonna be sleepin in the trucks i have 0 degree sleeping bag in the toolbox at all times and then hot dog weenies and such.

if im going backpacking i bring tortillas, peanutte butter, mre's, lots of socks because wet feet suck. some underware and long johns if its gonna be cold. i bring my heavy sleepin bag and a flint for fires. i also keep a small hatchet on the side of my pack. and a 357 on my hip just in case. rope is always helpful. 550 cord is the most diverse.

there is lots more but thats the basics. oh and the reason i bring tortillas instead of bread is because it is much more compact and i think they taste better with everything
Old 10-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestaco View Post
I hate you already you have a hennessy hammock.....i am quickly becoming a hammock camper and i want one i would also like to try out the Eureka 2 man ......is it a pain in the but to pull out set up and put back? Im working on my list now and will post it shortly.
I love my Hennessy. it is awesome! My 2 man is not that bad at all. pulls out and sets up in maybe 5-10 mins. by myself.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Uh, context?

I do a ton of backpacking, hiking, mountaineering and other technical climbing in both casual and backcountry venues.

What I'm taking with me depends heavily on which variant I'm dealing with.

I will say this though...there is only ONE brand of pack worth buying...

http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/intro.htm
Old 10-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #10

Im with yall....the weather is getting nice and nippy so its accually nice to go out build a good fire and have a cup of coffee. Takern: I like sleepin under the stars in my hammock....i bring the tarp in case of extreem cold or rain.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #11

Quote:
I love my Hennessy. it is awesome! My 2 man is not that bad at all. pulls out and sets up in maybe 5-10 mins. by myself.
I hope to get a hennessy next....but i need a new sleeping bag as well....oh well ill double up untill i can get a bag that rated to a low enough temp.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #12

Firefighter:
Quote:
I hope to get a hennessy next....but i need a new sleeping bag as well....oh well ill double up untill i can get a bag that rated to a low enough temp.
REI, backcountry, moosejaw, and a few other places have awesome deals on camping stuff. Right now REI is having a sale until the 17th
Old 10-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #13

Quote:
REI, backcountry, moosejaw, and a few other places have awesome deals on camping stuff. Right now REI is having a sale until the 17th
thanks for the heads up im gonna look into that tomorrow
Old 10-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #14

bump
Old 10-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
What is this henessey you speak of?

a camping hammock?

more please
Old 10-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCaron View Post
What is this henessey you speak of?

a camping hammock?

more please
yes it is a ultra lightweight and compact hammock with a rain fly and bug net all included.......im currently looking at a grand trunk ultralight or single parachute hammock because there a lot cheaper
Old 10-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #17

how big of a compression sack do yall think i need to hold a good change of clothes and a few extra long johns for winter camping
Old 10-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #18

juat noticed this thred was moved...thanks to whoever did it sorry for the mis-placment!
It seems no one is following this thred any more but ill keep posting in case some one runs accross it. I will be further test hammock camping 2 to 3 more times in the month of november. I am testing different ways to stay warm and dry. I plan on camping in 20-40 degree weather including some rain. if anyone has anything they would like to see tested let me know and i will do my best at testing it out for you.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #19
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
how big of a compression sack do yall think i need to hold a good change of clothes and a few extra long johns for winter camping

Which clothes? Compression works very differently depending on whether we're talking baselayers, insulation, shells...
Old 10-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #20
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
The Yellow Dart's Tacoma Gallery
I backpack whenever I can, and my gear list changes with the terrain, weather, companions, etc.

That being said, there are a few essentials I always take:

Gregory Baltoro 70 pack (Best backpack I have ever owned)
The North Face Snowshoe Sleeping Bag (0 degree)
Pacific Outdoor Equipment Ethos 9 Inflatable sleeping pad
Montrail backpacking boots
Black Diamond Trekking poles (knee surgeries suck)
Bandanas
Jetboil Flash Personal Cooking System
Gerber Mulitplier
Suunto Compass
Petzl Tikka Plus headlamp*
Stainless steel camp mug + spoon*
Marmot rain gear (a must-have!)
and other stuff like firestarters, first aid, sunglasses, tent, etc.

I'll add or subtract stuff like gaiters, binoculars, fleeces, blah, blah, blah as the situation determines.

Products Discussed in this Thread