Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Any pilots around here?

Old 04-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #83
Coma17 is on a distinguished road
Coma17's Tacoma Gallery
Private Pilot/Mx Racer

I've been working on my private pilot's license for about a year now. I only get to go flying about 2-3 days a month depending on the weather. I bought a 66 Cessna 150 when I started my lessons, and had my first emergency experience with my dad last weekend. I have about 10hrs solo and 30 hrs total so far. My dad flew my plane down to Mesa to pick me up, we got halfway back and just as we leveled off at 9500 the engine dies. We ended up being able to baby it in to Payson, but during our decent a plane passed underneath us less than 100' below. A little nerve racking, but we kept pretty calm and made it safe.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #84
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma17 View Post
I've been working on my private pilot's license for about a year now. I only get to go flying about 2-3 days a month depending on the weather. I bought a 66 Cessna 150 when I started my lessons, and had my first emergency experience with my dad last weekend. I have about 10hrs solo and 30 hrs total so far. My dad flew my plane down to Mesa to pick me up, we got halfway back and just as we leveled off at 9500 the engine dies. We ended up being able to baby it in to Payson, but during our decent a plane passed underneath us less than 100' below. A little nerve racking, but we kept pretty calm and made it safe.
glad to hear ya made it... what's the field elevation at Payson? I'm assuming around 5k or so... you had a little time I guess... I haven't had an engine out in a manned aircraft yet... Hopefully training kicks in and I don't freak out if it does...
Old 04-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #86
agtex42 is just really niceagtex42 is just really niceagtex42 is just really niceagtex42 is just really niceagtex42 is just really nice

agtex42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Speed Clean Check Feather Look Lock Airstart Bailout or Continue...Shutdown and Configure...Fly the profile and land some where soft!!

Hooray for Emergency Procedures!!
Glad to see you're having fun with it. It gets a lot better on the South side of the field, you'll be there before you know it!
Old 04-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #87
Bananahands is on a distinguished road
Navy: Air Traffic Controller 2nd Class
Bananahands's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a Controller. I'll tell you what, after all the things I've seen from my point of view, I wouldn't want to be the one flying the planes. I suppose someone has to do it so I can keep my job .
Old 04-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #88
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by agtex42 View Post
Glad to see you're having fun with it. It gets a lot better on the South side of the field, you'll be there before you know it!
THAT I can't wait for!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananahands View Post
I'm a Controller. I'll tell you what, after all the things I've seen from my point of view, I wouldn't want to be the one flying the planes. I suppose someone has to do it so I can keep my job .
We see enuf from the planes that the controllers do to make us roll our eyes too...
Old 04-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
THAT I can't wait for!!

We see enuf from the planes that the controllers do to make us roll our eyes too...

I wasn't insinuating that pilots are dangerous or are lacking in ability. I was just talking about emergencies, congested airspace etc. I work LAX departures so you can imagine how busy the airspace is. There are lots of little GA guys flying around in such tight VFR corridors. I'll be the first to admit that controllers make mistakes, as do pilots. We're all just human.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #90
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wasn't insinuating that pilots are dangerous or are lacking in ability. I was just talking about emergencies, congested airspace etc. I work LAX departures so you can imagine how busy the airspace is. There are lots of little GA guys flying around in such tight VFR corridors. I'll be the first to admit that controllers make mistakes, as do pilots. We're all just human.
Yeah....No pointing fingers...that's why we do all the CRM training and work with a team. And I'll more than insinuate it. I've done some dumb things...and see some dumb things done out there by pilots and controllers...Like you said..We are all human.

And yeah...LAX must be INSANE. I can't wait to finish my training and then start learning how to deal with that volume of traffic...
Old 04-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #91
are you in flight school in Pensacola? or at whiting field maybe? I was in the navy and was in Pensacola for my "A" School.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #93
Nice! Now I know what you meant by controllers making you roll your eyes . I know a couple of controllers at whiting field, good luck with them. haha.

Its much different in the civilian world. If we make 2 or so errors depending on the severity, it the end of a career.

Good luck in your training.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #94
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice! Now I know what you meant by controllers making you roll your eyes . I know a couple of controllers at whiting field, good luck with them. haha.

Its much different in the civilian world. If we make 2 or so errors depending on the severity, it the end of a career.

Good luck in your training.
Yeah...I wasn't counting the guys at Whiting...we see crazy things there alot...but everyone is training...so it's to be expected.

How long did you spend controlling for the Navy??
Old 04-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #95
almost 7 years.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #96
I've been out for a little over a year. Been with the FAA about 7 months. I'm still training. It'll be about just under 2 years until I'm fully certified. Thats when the big bucks start rolling in. haha
Old 04-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #97
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been out for a little over a year. Been with the FAA about 7 months. I'm still training. It'll be about just under 2 years until I'm fully certified. Thats when the big bucks start rolling in. haha
Nice...I'm hoping to get stationed in San Fran so I may be down your way at some point!!

Good luck with your training man...we'll see you around!!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #98
BTHOB
archerytarget will become famous soon enough

archerytarget's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danusa View Post
I fly a PA 28 235 N266T now.

Namaste
cool..my dad's got a PA 28 236
Old 04-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #100
closed31 is on a distinguished road
closed31's Tacoma Gallery