Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Any pilots around here?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #83
Junior Member
Coma17 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jul 2008, #8157
Location: Mesa, Az
Gender: Male
Posts: 4
Coma17's Tacoma Gallery
Private Pilot/Mx Racer

I've been working on my private pilot's license for about a year now. I only get to go flying about 2-3 days a month depending on the weather. I bought a 66 Cessna 150 when I started my lessons, and had my first emergency experience with my dad last weekend. I have about 10hrs solo and 30 hrs total so far. My dad flew my plane down to Mesa to pick me up, we got halfway back and just as we leveled off at 9500 the engine dies. We ended up being able to baby it in to Payson, but during our decent a plane passed underneath us less than 100' below. A little nerve racking, but we kept pretty calm and made it safe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #84
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Delmarva's Avatar
Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Joined: Oct 2008, #10148
Location: Tucson, AZ
Age: 34
Gender: Guy
Posts: 35,337
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma17 View Post
I've been working on my private pilot's license for about a year now. I only get to go flying about 2-3 days a month depending on the weather. I bought a 66 Cessna 150 when I started my lessons, and had my first emergency experience with my dad last weekend. I have about 10hrs solo and 30 hrs total so far. My dad flew my plane down to Mesa to pick me up, we got halfway back and just as we leveled off at 9500 the engine dies. We ended up being able to baby it in to Payson, but during our decent a plane passed underneath us less than 100' below. A little nerve racking, but we kept pretty calm and made it safe.
glad to hear ya made it... what's the field elevation at Payson? I'm assuming around 5k or so... you had a little time I guess... I haven't had an engine out in a manned aircraft yet... Hopefully training kicks in and I don't freak out if it does...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #86
Member
agtex42 is just really niceagtex42 is just really niceagtex42 is just really niceagtex42 is just really niceagtex42 is just really nice
 
agtex42's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2009, #13713
Gender: Male
Posts: 54
agtex42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Speed Clean Check Feather Look Lock Airstart Bailout or Continue...Shutdown and Configure...Fly the profile and land some where soft!!

Hooray for Emergency Procedures!!
Glad to see you're having fun with it. It gets a lot better on the South side of the field, you'll be there before you know it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #87
Member
Bananahands is on a distinguished road
Navy: Air Traffic Controller 2nd Class
Joined: Jan 2009, #12225
Location: San Diego
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 79
Bananahands's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a Controller. I'll tell you what, after all the things I've seen from my point of view, I wouldn't want to be the one flying the planes. I suppose someone has to do it so I can keep my job .
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #88
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Brunes's Avatar
Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Joined: May 2008, #7011
Location: Big Easy, USA
Age: 30
Gender: Dude
Posts: 17,769
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by agtex42 View Post
Glad to see you're having fun with it. It gets a lot better on the South side of the field, you'll be there before you know it!
THAT I can't wait for!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananahands View Post
I'm a Controller. I'll tell you what, after all the things I've seen from my point of view, I wouldn't want to be the one flying the planes. I suppose someone has to do it so I can keep my job .
We see enuf from the planes that the controllers do to make us roll our eyes too...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #89
Member
Bananahands is on a distinguished road
Navy: Air Traffic Controller 2nd Class
Joined: Jan 2009, #12225
Location: San Diego
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 79
Bananahands's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
THAT I can't wait for!!



We see enuf from the planes that the controllers do to make us roll our eyes too...

I wasn't insinuating that pilots are dangerous or are lacking in ability. I was just talking about emergencies, congested airspace etc. I work LAX departures so you can imagine how busy the airspace is. There are lots of little GA guys flying around in such tight VFR corridors. I'll be the first to admit that controllers make mistakes, as do pilots. We're all just human.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #90
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Brunes's Avatar
Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Joined: May 2008, #7011
Location: Big Easy, USA
Age: 30
Gender: Dude
Posts: 17,769
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananahands View Post
I wasn't insinuating that pilots are dangerous or are lacking in ability. I was just talking about emergencies, congested airspace etc. I work LAX departures so you can imagine how busy the airspace is. There are lots of little GA guys flying around in such tight VFR corridors. I'll be the first to admit that controllers make mistakes, as do pilots. We're all just human.
Yeah....No pointing fingers...that's why we do all the CRM training and work with a team. And I'll more than insinuate it. I've done some dumb things...and see some dumb things done out there by pilots and controllers...Like you said..We are all human.

And yeah...LAX must be INSANE. I can't wait to finish my training and then start learning how to deal with that volume of traffic...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #91
Member
Bananahands is on a distinguished road
Navy: Air Traffic Controller 2nd Class
Joined: Jan 2009, #12225
Location: San Diego
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 79
Bananahands's Tacoma Gallery
are you in flight school in Pensacola? or at whiting field maybe? I was in the navy and was in Pensacola for my "A" School.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #93
Member
Bananahands is on a distinguished road
Navy: Air Traffic Controller 2nd Class
Joined: Jan 2009, #12225
Location: San Diego
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 79
Bananahands's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Now I know what you meant by controllers making you roll your eyes . I know a couple of controllers at whiting field, good luck with them. haha.

Its much different in the civilian world. If we make 2 or so errors depending on the severity, it the end of a career.

Good luck in your training.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #94
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Brunes's Avatar
Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Joined: May 2008, #7011
Location: Big Easy, USA
Age: 30
Gender: Dude
Posts: 17,769
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananahands View Post
Nice! Now I know what you meant by controllers making you roll your eyes . I know a couple of controllers at whiting field, good luck with them. haha.

Its much different in the civilian world. If we make 2 or so errors depending on the severity, it the end of a career.

Good luck in your training.
Yeah...I wasn't counting the guys at Whiting...we see crazy things there alot...but everyone is training...so it's to be expected.

How long did you spend controlling for the Navy??
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #95
Member
Bananahands is on a distinguished road
Navy: Air Traffic Controller 2nd Class
Joined: Jan 2009, #12225
Location: San Diego
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 79
Bananahands's Tacoma Gallery
almost 7 years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #96
Member
Bananahands is on a distinguished road
Navy: Air Traffic Controller 2nd Class
Joined: Jan 2009, #12225
Location: San Diego
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 79
Bananahands's Tacoma Gallery
I've been out for a little over a year. Been with the FAA about 7 months. I'm still training. It'll be about just under 2 years until I'm fully certified. Thats when the big bucks start rolling in. haha
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #97
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Brunes's Avatar
Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Joined: May 2008, #7011
Location: Big Easy, USA
Age: 30
Gender: Dude
Posts: 17,769
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananahands View Post
I've been out for a little over a year. Been with the FAA about 7 months. I'm still training. It'll be about just under 2 years until I'm fully certified. Thats when the big bucks start rolling in. haha
Nice...I'm hoping to get stationed in San Fran so I may be down your way at some point!!

Good luck with your training man...we'll see you around!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #98
BTHOB
archerytarget will become famous soon enough
 
archerytarget's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2007, #3982
Location: College Station, TX
Gender: Dude
Posts: 265
archerytarget's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danusa View Post
I fly a PA 28 235 N266T now.




Namaste
cool..my dad's got a PA 28 236
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #100
Member
closed31 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Apr 2009, #15597
Gender: Male
Posts: 37
closed31's Tacoma Gallery
professional or recreational?
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any pilots? SoonerTaco07 Jobs & Careers 125 07-15-2012 05:56 AM
Any Pilots? kasey200 Off-Topic Discussion 51 08-05-2011 11:17 AM
any pilots here? NetMonkey Jobs & Careers 24 06-07-2010 11:47 AM
As requested...my 2 co-pilots Motorshooter New Members 20 10-23-2008 08:51 AM
Qantas Pilots MotoXFreeStyle61 Off-Topic Discussion 7 08-09-2008 09:46 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.