Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Whats a good mountain bike tire....

Old 11-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Whats a good mountain bike tire....

For desert use? I have been running the Panaracer Dart and Smoke for years, but I hear they are disco'ed now. Any suggestions?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
I heard WTB Velociraptors are good.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
a round one
Old 11-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppham444 View Post
I heard WTB Velociraptors are good.
Yeah. Im considering those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
a round one
I actually prefer folding.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running hutchinson scorpions right now. They seem good but I don't have much experience with others.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
oval ones work much better than round ones and folding ones. Something about the up and down motion helping increase speed.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I'm running hutchinson scorpions right now. They seem good but I don't have much experience with others.
How are they in the loose stuff?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
How are they in the loose stuff?
Well they seem fine to me but its the only tire I've ever tried on my bike. They are good in sand because they seem wider than others I've seen.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Well they seem fine to me but its the only tire I've ever tried on my bike. They are good in sand because they seem wider than others I've seen.
Yeah....I dont come accross much sand, if any. I like the front/rear directional tires as the rear gets alot of bite, while the front tread pattern of the Panaracers, and WTB Velociraptors seem to resist washing out on fast corners.....
Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
oval ones work much better than round ones and folding ones. Something about the up and down motion helping increase speed.
LOL!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #11

Welp.....I went with the WTB Velociraptors. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHansen View Post
Kenda Nevegals
There super grippy, but have kind of a high rolling resistance which makes them not the best for a cross country tire.
I saw those at the bike shop, and considered them. Maybe I'll try them next time.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
Patrobs is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Patrick
Patrobs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHansen View Post
Kenda Nevegals
There super grippy, but have kind of a high rolling resistance which makes them not the best for a cross country tire.
best MTB tire there is! I run them on all my bikes.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrobs View Post
best MTB tire there is! I run them on all my bikes.
Thats a pretty bold statement. Have you run them out here? How are they in the loose granite?
Old 11-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #16
Patrobs is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Patrick
Patrobs's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't been out your way but over here in the mud/loose dirt etc. they are awesome! I live about a mile away front a place called fort rock in New Hampshire. awesome biking. There are some videos on youtube.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrobs View Post
Haven't been out your way but over here in the mud/loose dirt etc. they are awesome! I live about a mile away front a place called fort rock in New Hampshire. awesome biking. There are some videos on youtube.
Yeah...Not alot of mud out here. Alot of loose granite, and dirt. Some rocks. The WTB's and the Panaracers are my favs' out here.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #18
Clever white boy.
wired_af is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
wired_af's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know about loose stuff but I like my Panaracer Fire XC's.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired_af View Post
Don't know about loose stuff but I like my Panaracer Fire XC's.
I was actually comparing those with the WTB's. IIRC, PD3 is running those also, and quite happy with them.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobord552 View Post
probaly not much help since theres no desert around here but...i always run Maxxis Minions on my dh bike, ive never ridden in anything they couldnt handle, hard pack, sand, mud, etc...
Thats a heavy tire though. I want to keep the weight down a bit.