1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hiking Thread

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by SurfInferno, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 21, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    And even more Grand Teton hikes...

Phelps Lake
    This was one of the most peaceful places I have been. I could have stayed there all day! No sounds except for the wind rustling the trees and an occasional squirrel or bird...and a few other photographers and hikers trudging up the trail.
    [​IMG]

Taggert Lake
    Near the trailhead
    [​IMG]

Almost half way there
    [​IMG]

Lunchbreak at the lake
    [​IMG]

That trail, Taggert, was one of the more hair raising that I been on...another mystery animal encounter tale there!

2. Jan 21, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Animal encounter #1

The first time I did the Top of the World hike in the Tetons, I (and my boyfriend at the time), hiked down. Done the hike twice since, both times uphill. Why? Because if you hike up you ride down (in the tram) for free! Ride up and hike down...they charge you $$$.

When we were about 1/2 way down I spotted a cow moose on the hillside next to the trail. I had to have a picture so we stopped. The camera was in my ex's backpack so I was digging around in the pack trying to find it when he said to me 'Uh. Lees...we need to go. NOW!' I looked up and saw that the cow's boyfriend had come out of the tree line to join her and he wasn't too happy that we were there...and he was headed downhill towards us! We scurried back uphill about 1/4 of a mile and he was still on the trail/road and pissed off. Apparently he thought we were more interested in his girl and wanted to challenge us. So we were stranded, tired and not wanting to run uphill anymore. We started screaming and waving our arms in the air, trying to scare the bull moose off. He finally got the hint, moved off of the trail and we began to head back downhill. The bad thing was the trail had a switchback in it and we were crossing the path of the two moose again about a mile later...we had no problem running/sprinting that portion of the trail and made it safely back to the bottom. Scary moment for sure!

Animal Encounter #2

Fast forward to the summer/fall of 2009 and my hike to Taggert Lake. The trail is a big loop - roughly a 3.5 mile hike. Most of the trail goes through an area that experienced a forest fire about 20 years ago. All of the trees are about 15' to 20' tall, 4" or so in diameter and growing about 12" apart from one another. you cannot see more that a couple of feet in any direction once in the trees. I was just leaving the lake and was going through the old burn area when I heard a deep grunt/groan over my right shoulder. I stopped and listened for a few seconds. Nothing. Took a few more steps and heard it again and this time I heard a few branches breaking in addition to the grunts. My heart about stopped. I was on a trail and the only options were ahead into the unknown or back the way I came. The trees were so thick you couldn't move through them freely. I had my hand on my pepper spray canister at this point (national parks = no guns, at least it used to) and started screaming 'who's there!'. Nothing, again. I kept on screaming, noise is good, and continued on down the trail...by now the noises were generally behind me. Then I heard more branches breaking AHEAD of me! I froze and started screaming even louder (I'm out a lot and I'm not really jumpy but this freaked me out!). The noises stopped. Finally I screamed 'bi-ped or quadru-ped!' and in an Aussie accent I hear 'bipedal!' Sigh of relief. I continued on and warned the Aussies that there was something - bear, moose, bigfoot, I still don't know to this day - roaming near the trail a couple of hundred yards back. I finished off that hike in record time...all with my pepper spray canister in my hand. That was the most scared that I have ever been when out hiking and I hope to not repeat that incident ever! i have no idea what sort of animal I ran into that day but judging by the noises it made it was big and not happy to have me or anyone else in its territory.

3. Jan 21, 2011 at 8:43 PM
    AlaskaTacoma

AlaskaTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    TRD The Good Stuff
    6000K HIDs w/Fogs Smoked Tail lights Window Tint Dual Exhaust Sockmonkey Decal's Billet Grille Wet Okole Seat Covers Tacomaworld.com Sticker :) Painted Engine Cover Ultragauge WeatherTech Floor Mats
    I did some hiking during the summer here in Alaska.
    [​IMG]
    Idk what I was doing in the pic lol

4. Jan 21, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    ^^Where was that at?

5. Jan 21, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    AlaskaTacoma

AlaskaTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    TRD The Good Stuff
    6000K HIDs w/Fogs Smoked Tail lights Window Tint Dual Exhaust Sockmonkey Decal's Billet Grille Wet Okole Seat Covers Tacomaworld.com Sticker :) Painted Engine Cover Ultragauge WeatherTech Floor Mats
    On Arctic Valley Mt. It's near the Anchorage Area

6. Jan 21, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    Hey MTgirl, are all your pics taken in MT?

You guys have some freakin kickass hiking pics. I love to do this kind of stuff, but little monies and no mountains for miles and miles makes for a dissapointing time. :)

7. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    awesome pictures MTgirl. I love that area

8. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Grand Teton NP is in Northwestern Wyoming and most of the pics that I have posted here are from hikes down there. Its the main reason I go down that way! The others are from MT though...now you know why I love it here! I ain't ever leaving!!! :D

9. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:

Thanks! You've been up this way before?

10. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    Yeah i went on a trip to Yellowstone with my grandparents for 2 weeks. I plan on going to college at the university of wyoming

11. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:11 PM
    PWhite13

PWhite13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Prescott
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3
    I've only been a couple times, but I love Yosemite, some of the hikes are amazing at just taking you out of society for a little while.

12. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    2009 December trip to New Zealand, I've been broke since then, but I don't regret a penny spent. Main reason for going was that I just wanted to go some place I never thought I'd go :D I know the pics aren't the best quality but eh... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I like the contrast between the pic above and below. How that rock wall looks kinda big ^^^^
    then kinda small on the pic below:)

Goin up.
    [​IMG]

Thats me in the gray sweater n shorts :D
    [​IMG]

tip of glacier, It sounds loud as hell when the some pieces of ice fall off
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    DAMN Mat, those Mt. Whitney pics fuckin rock!

14. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:26 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I always liked this pic, its at the top of tree spring trail, looking up to south peek in albuquerque nm

[​IMG]

15. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    my gf moved down to LA a bit ago for Doctor of Physical Therapy school and has been hiking a lot down there. She usually goes to Grifith Park area. I went hiking with her last weekend and it was so nice. I bought her a pair of Keen Targhee II's and she loves em. I rock a pair of Asolo TPS 520 GV's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    If I said I wanted to move to MT tomorrow my gf would be packed and ready before I finished the sentence. After seeing your pics I can see why.

As for animal encounters, I haven't had too many other than snakes and coyotes. Although on more than one occasion we would find evidence of bears having roamed through our campsite the previous night. I always was a little worried about mountain lions out in cali because I had a tendency to stay out on the trail until after dark.

17. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    tbone12

tbone12 j.o.w.c.o.

Member:
    First Name:
    Terra
    central valley california
    hiking half dome at night. be up there for the sunrise in the morning. took about 5 1/2 hours to get up there.

IMG_3353.jpg

18. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    ya I was hoping for a mountain lion or a yote but we just saw a bunch of squirrels

19. Jan 21, 2011 at 11:28 PM
    SurfInferno

SurfInferno [OP] Dont be stupid, its not smart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 DC
    GAHH i want to go to yellowstone so bad! i was supposed to go to MT this past summer but i ran out of time, hopefully this summer i will be able to. My dads uncle owns like 200 acres or something up there.

these are the boots i wear. Red wing wildland boots.

[​IMG]

20. Jan 22, 2011 at 6:02 AM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    We're doing the National Park thing, trying to do one each year. Looking at Yosemite this year, maybe, or the Great Smokey Mountains.

Probably going to save Montana (and the Grand Tetons) for a time when I have about 3-4 weeks to really see the whole region out there (Yellowstone,etc.).

Plan to fly out to a central location, rent a car and drive, drive, drive.

Too much great country out there to just fly into one spot and fly out :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top