Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Hiking Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #41
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
And even more Grand Teton hikes...

Phelps Lake
This was one of the most peaceful places I have been. I could have stayed there all day! No sounds except for the wind rustling the trees and an occasional squirrel or bird...and a few other photographers and hikers trudging up the trail.

Taggert Lake
Near the trailhead

Almost half way there

Lunchbreak at the lake

That trail, Taggert, was one of the more hair raising that I been on...another mystery animal encounter tale there!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #42
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Animal encounter #1

The first time I did the Top of the World hike in the Tetons, I (and my boyfriend at the time), hiked down. Done the hike twice since, both times uphill. Why? Because if you hike up you ride down (in the tram) for free! Ride up and hike down...they charge you $$$.

When we were about 1/2 way down I spotted a cow moose on the hillside next to the trail. I had to have a picture so we stopped. The camera was in my ex's backpack so I was digging around in the pack trying to find it when he said to me 'Uh. Lees...we need to go. NOW!' I looked up and saw that the cow's boyfriend had come out of the tree line to join her and he wasn't too happy that we were there...and he was headed downhill towards us! We scurried back uphill about 1/4 of a mile and he was still on the trail/road and pissed off. Apparently he thought we were more interested in his girl and wanted to challenge us. So we were stranded, tired and not wanting to run uphill anymore. We started screaming and waving our arms in the air, trying to scare the bull moose off. He finally got the hint, moved off of the trail and we began to head back downhill. The bad thing was the trail had a switchback in it and we were crossing the path of the two moose again about a mile later...we had no problem running/sprinting that portion of the trail and made it safely back to the bottom. Scary moment for sure!

Animal Encounter #2

Fast forward to the summer/fall of 2009 and my hike to Taggert Lake. The trail is a big loop - roughly a 3.5 mile hike. Most of the trail goes through an area that experienced a forest fire about 20 years ago. All of the trees are about 15' to 20' tall, 4" or so in diameter and growing about 12" apart from one another. you cannot see more that a couple of feet in any direction once in the trees. I was just leaving the lake and was going through the old burn area when I heard a deep grunt/groan over my right shoulder. I stopped and listened for a few seconds. Nothing. Took a few more steps and heard it again and this time I heard a few branches breaking in addition to the grunts. My heart about stopped. I was on a trail and the only options were ahead into the unknown or back the way I came. The trees were so thick you couldn't move through them freely. I had my hand on my pepper spray canister at this point (national parks = no guns, at least it used to) and started screaming 'who's there!'. Nothing, again. I kept on screaming, noise is good, and continued on down the trail...by now the noises were generally behind me. Then I heard more branches breaking AHEAD of me! I froze and started screaming even louder (I'm out a lot and I'm not really jumpy but this freaked me out!). The noises stopped. Finally I screamed 'bi-ped or quadru-ped!' and in an Aussie accent I hear 'bipedal!' Sigh of relief. I continued on and warned the Aussies that there was something - bear, moose, bigfoot, I still don't know to this day - roaming near the trail a couple of hundred yards back. I finished off that hike in record time...all with my pepper spray canister in my hand. That was the most scared that I have ever been when out hiking and I hope to not repeat that incident ever! i have no idea what sort of animal I ran into that day but judging by the noises it made it was big and not happy to have me or anyone else in its territory.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #43
~AK49~
AlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
AlaskaTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I did some hiking during the summer here in Alaska.

Idk what I was doing in the pic lol
Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #45
~AK49~
AlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlaskaTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
AlaskaTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
On Arctic Valley Mt. It's near the Anchorage Area
Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #46
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Hey MTgirl, are all your pics taken in MT?

You guys have some freakin kickass hiking pics. I love to do this kind of stuff, but little monies and no mountains for miles and miles makes for a dissapointing time.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #47
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
awesome pictures MTgirl. I love that area
Old 01-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #48

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Grand Teton NP is in Northwestern Wyoming and most of the pics that I have posted here are from hikes down there. Its the main reason I go down that way! The others are from MT though...now you know why I love it here! I ain't ever leaving!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #49

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
awesome pictures MTgirl. I love that area

Thanks! You've been up this way before?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #50
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
Thanks! You've been up this way before?
Yeah i went on a trip to Yellowstone with my grandparents for 2 weeks. I plan on going to college at the university of wyoming
Old 01-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #51
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw154 View Post
Good thread man! My family has a cabin by Yosemite, so ill post some pictures up in here soon
I've only been a couple times, but I love Yosemite, some of the hikes are amazing at just taking you out of society for a little while.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #52
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
2009 December trip to New Zealand, I've been broke since then, but I don't regret a penny spent. Main reason for going was that I just wanted to go some place I never thought I'd go I know the pics aren't the best quality but eh...

I like the contrast between the pic above and below. How that rock wall looks kinda big ^^^^
then kinda small on the pic below

Goin up.

Thats me in the gray sweater n shorts

tip of glacier, It sounds loud as hell when the some pieces of ice fall off

Old 01-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #54
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
I always liked this pic, its at the top of tree spring trail, looking up to south peek in albuquerque nm

Old 01-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #55
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
my gf moved down to LA a bit ago for Doctor of Physical Therapy school and has been hiking a lot down there. She usually goes to Grifith Park area. I went hiking with her last weekend and it was so nice. I bought her a pair of Keen Targhee II's and she loves em. I rock a pair of Asolo TPS 520 GV's.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #56
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Grand Teton NP is in Northwestern Wyoming and most of the pics that I have posted here are from hikes down there. Its the main reason I go down that way! The others are from MT though...now you know why I love it here! I ain't ever leaving!!!
If I said I wanted to move to MT tomorrow my gf would be packed and ready before I finished the sentence. After seeing your pics I can see why.

As for animal encounters, I haven't had too many other than snakes and coyotes. Although on more than one occasion we would find evidence of bears having roamed through our campsite the previous night. I always was a little worried about mountain lions out in cali because I had a tendency to stay out on the trail until after dark.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #57
j.o.w.c.o.
tbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Terra
tbone12's Tacoma Gallery
half dome

hiking half dome at night. be up there for the sunrise in the morning. took about 5 1/2 hours to get up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Hiking Thread-img_3353.jpg  
Old 01-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #58
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
If I said I wanted to move to MT tomorrow my gf would be packed and ready before I finished the sentence. After seeing your pics I can see why.

As for animal encounters, I haven't had too many other than snakes and coyotes. Although on more than one occasion we would find evidence of bears having roamed through our campsite the previous night. I always was a little worried about mountain lions out in cali because I had a tendency to stay out on the trail until after dark.
ya I was hoping for a mountain lion or a yote but we just saw a bunch of squirrels
Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #59
Dont be stupid, its not smart.
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SurfInferno's Tacoma Gallery
GAHH i want to go to yellowstone so bad! i was supposed to go to MT this past summer but i ran out of time, hopefully this summer i will be able to. My dads uncle owns like 200 acres or something up there.

these are the boots i wear. Red wing wildland boots.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #60
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Definitely got to get Montana on that list! There's plenty of beautiful places to see up here.
We're doing the National Park thing, trying to do one each year. Looking at Yosemite this year, maybe, or the Great Smokey Mountains.

Probably going to save Montana (and the Grand Tetons) for a time when I have about 3-4 weeks to really see the whole region out there (Yellowstone,etc.).

Plan to fly out to a central location, rent a car and drive, drive, drive.

Too much great country out there to just fly into one spot and fly out