Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Hiking Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #141
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by redes View Post
I am jealous of all you guys that live near some of these beautiful places. I have snowboarded Taos NM and Snowbird UT and Hiked/Camped my way from Austin Tx to Rocky Mtn National Park twice with family, but my normal fair is nowhere near so glamorous as some of the pictures many of you have posted.

I moonlight with a company that puts on endurance trail races in central Texas. I run some, but most of my miles tend to be marking, measuring, and clearing trail for the events. Trails in central Texas are extremely varied. East Texas tends to be pine forests with soft pine lined trails and tree roots to keep your attention. West Texas is mostly flat and boring with some extraordinary places sprinkled about, Davis Mountains, Palo Duro Canyon, half-dozen others. But most of our time is spent in the Hill Country, a geographic transition between the coastal East plains and high West plains. I think the Hill Country most resembles the opening title sequence from MASH. The landscape is rolling hills at a distance with rocky, technical, and unforgiving terrain up close. It is an awful lot of fun.

My favorite place is the Hill Country Natural Area in Bandera, Texas. We put on a 100k event there each January. It is a trip I circle on my calendar each year. In fact I was pretty bummed that I couldn't make it last year, but my second daughter insisted on being born then. Supporting the races usually consists of a 5 or 6, 5 mile hikes over three days or so. The course is ~30mi, but divided between 5 aid stations. Volunteers split the course up and work in teams to mark it, monitor it during the event, and tear down and clean up after. Since the event lasts a full 24 hours we get to see the whole park at all times of the night and day. For about 6years or so it seemed it rained more than not out there. In fact, I bought my Taco because between this race and another we have had a dozen trucks, or so, get stuck and I wanted to have the tool to get out. Recently though we have had pretty dry races. The last three or four years have been dry, but the temp has varied from the high 70's-low 80's (in January) to 8 degrees a few years back. We had coffee freezing in our mugs during that one. I don't have a lot of pictures but this is a link to a tour of the race course: http://www.tejastrails.com/docs/Bandera__Sto.html

Check out tejastrails.com to see other event, they all have pictures somewhere in the page, though the format of each page can be inconsistent so you may have to hunt some.

Anyhow, here in Austin, I have several 3-6 mile trails that I try to rack up 15-25 miles a week on. This summer has been too dry and too hot to get toward that upper number at all, but I am hoping for some relief by mid to late September. I keep telling myself that I will parry all these miles into some kind of trailing for the 50k event in Bandera, finishing that has been a big dream of mine, but the truth is, I think I train just so I can have fun working the race.

Sorry for the long winded post, the first post asked for a story....
Ya, I hear ya man. There really isn't much in Central TX. and the Hill Country here is very decieving at a distance. It all looks like smooth rolling hills at a distance, but get to the trails under the trees or anywhere, and most that have never see it will be like "WTF?!" ahahaha
Old 08-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #142
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/184854/cat/500][/url]

hiking in the Canadian rockies
Old 09-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #143
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeandkanoa View Post
url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/184854/cat/500][/url]

hiking in the Canadian rockies
See now this is what I like about hiking out west. Views are really easy to come by in the Rockies seems like; over here in the East if you want a decent view you gotta go hike up to a bald which are few and far between. On that note I'm hiking up to Gregory Bald in early November and I'll make a trip report.

Also has anyone ever hiked the Roan Highlands? Specifially Grassy Ridge Trail I'm super interested in that hike but it's 5 hours away and I'm out of vacation days to use for travel time, Hope to do it in the spring.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #144
Dangerous
ronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
ronman737's Tacoma Gallery

Pretty tough climb.

Mountain Bridge Wilderness in upstate SC.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #145
Dont be stupid, its not smart.
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
SurfInferno's Tacoma Gallery
here was my hike today. roughly 13 miles, in 3.5 hours. Did the 10 mile loop last friday. Been hiking at least three times a week for the past 2.5 months. my gps said the elevation gain was 1882 ft, but half the time its wrong.

i get my new boots monday then i have to break them in
Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #146
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ where's that?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #147
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
^^^ where's that?
I parked about .5 miles away from the sand dune on pch and, i did the backbone trail up to the la jolla valley trail, then to the chumash trail to the flag, then down the la jolla canyon to my truck.

i did the longer loop of this one
http://www.modernhiker.com/2008/04/2...-jolla-canyon/

I'm going again on sunday if you want to join
Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #148
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old 06-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #149
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Here's some shots from a couple hikes I did last week in Juneau... some are in thumbnails because I was too lazy to resize them, also all were taken from my iphone so a couple are pretty blurry.

Attached Thumbnails
Hiking Thread-img_0888.jpg   Hiking Thread-img_0886.jpg   Hiking Thread-img_0869.jpg  
Old 06-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
what trail is this?
Old 06-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfInferno View Post
what trail is this?
The Pines. trail head is by Thatcher school

sorry i didn't call you for an invite... it was kind of spur of the moment with my buddy
Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #152
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
few pics from this weekend's hike into the indian peaks region..

diamond lake..

Old 06-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #153
MSR will become famous soon enough

Name: Mike
MSR's Tacoma Gallery
All those pics look awesome. I have got back into hiking the last few years, just day hikes at the coast or up on the mountain. I wish I had pictures. I am lucky enough to live within an hour drive from the coast to west or the Cascades to the east.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #154

I've been hiking like crazy lately. I got my new boot a few months ago too.
Here they are new

and now

heres a hike i did on my birthday (in april)

And in lockwood valley in may

and my most recent picture
Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #155
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thread! Love all the pictures
Old 02-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #156
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
nice hike I did with my Dad at the north side of Big Bear: