1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone out there a fish tank expert...

Discussion in 'Pets' started by mickyd9990, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Mar 1, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    mickyd9990

mickyd9990 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    marc
    ri
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma off road
    Just got my first set up.. 55 gallon fresh water aquarium.. set it up a couple days ago letting it cycle before I put fish in.. thinking about going with some tiger barbs and assortes cichleds and a few plecos.. anyone have a combo like this??

2. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    mickyd9990

Member:
    First Name:
    marc
    ri
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma off road
  3. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:01 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i would hold off on the plecos until you have fish already living in the tank awhile.tank is to new for the pleco to feed off of.go to the local "real: fish store and see what they recomend for starter fish.ive always had fresh water tanks.(nothing crazy)i just picked up a corner 55 gal salt water setup.its my first salt water setup.hope its not to bad to keep up

4. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    tiger barbs and cichs are very agressive and yes wait to put plecos in tank until it is established. They eat algae so ya gotta wait till some begins to grow. Good luck and yes a fish expert. :pccoffee:

5. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:10 AM
    PhillyTacoma

PhillyTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    10 Prerunner
    Webasto Sunroof, Pioneer AVIC-z120bt in dash nav, nerf bars, XD rims
    Ive dabbled in the trade... I was the Director of Operations for the Hidden Reef Aquarium Co. in PA for 8 years. Use fish like serpae tetras, dannios, black skirt tetras and the like to start the nitrogen cycle. You want to use inexpensive hearty fish to produce the waste that the anaerobic bacteria can feed off of and create a natural biosphere. The combination you listed sounds ok to me just make sure the cichlids you choose are south American and not African, since thats a whole other ball game which involves a species tank and African rift lake salt. Put the starter fish in and leave them in for a month before adding other fish. Make sure you test your levels every other week for an ammonia spike or for when your nitrates elevate. If you have an questions you can PM me... ive installed and maintained over 500 custom systems (mostly saltwater).

6. Mar 1, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    daggertats

daggertats Well-Known Member

Member:
    arden nc
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    undercover tonneau ,bug deflector, removal of all tacoma emblems added a set of component speakers behind the rear seat egr in channel window visors
    tiger barbs will nip the fins on long finned fish. plecos are dirty fish and get huge. there are some plecs that stay smaller . ive got a 55 gal set up that i had for yrs and keep mostly semi agressive tropicals in it. only ciclid i ever had was the angel fish. they are a pretty fish and pretty mellow for a ciclid. gourami's (sp) are hardy fish too. check out a book about tropical fish at the book store. they have tons of info in them about how big fish get ,if they are hardy etc. be sure not to overload your aquarium and use a good filter. i have a fluval canister filter that does a great job . water stays crystal clear.

7. Mar 1, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    rvcahawaii808

rvcahawaii808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    beaverton
    Vehicle:
    04 limited T4R 4x4
    nice tank. ive got a 20L with 3 pleccos and they are by far the funniest fish to watch in the tank.

im in the process of starting up a 40g saltwater. i want to start soaking rocks, maybe 1/2 base rock 1/2 live rock. what sort of pump and skimmer should i get?

sorry for the thread jack.

8. Mar 1, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    mickyd9990

Member:
    First Name:
    marc
    ri
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma off road
    thanks for the imput every one..
    im using a marineland 400 emporer powerfilter..

as far as hearty fish what would everyone recomend?? local fish store said mollies and platies will work??

think we are steering away from the cichleds now because when my girl found out that she cant have lots of other fish with them she shot that down lol..idk why.. aggressive is good lol.. so since she bought it for my b day she gets to have some choice in fish..

and as far as plecos go my local fish store said you can put them in the new tank but you need to drop in algae discs in at night.. anyone agree or is he full o sheet

9. Mar 2, 2011 at 10:19 PM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    Been into fish for a long time now, it depends what kind of fish you want. mean, peaceful? When i had my 250 gallon i had a tank full of frontosa's, they look really cool as they get bigger are easy to take care of if your tank is established. When i start my tank i would just put feeder gold fish for about a week and see how it goes.

Here are frontosa images
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-311-1-s&va=frontosa+cichlid

I have always liked angel fish when they are a decent size, around the size of a softball.

10. Mar 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM
    darkgreentaco

darkgreentaco XXXL Member

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    King RR C/O's, Extra mustard, All-Pro expdtn Leaf, sesame seed bun, Icon UCA's Fox Resi's BAMFsliders, sweet candy coating, LCAskids, diffcover 17" Addicts Yukon 4.56 Mt/r kevlar
    what happens when you DONT put african rift lake salt in the aquarium with african cichlids?...i honestly want to know. thanks.

11. Mar 2, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    I know people who have done that and people that haven't, same result, i know people who have water and fish from Africa flow in.

12. Mar 2, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    darkgreentaco

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    King RR C/O's, Extra mustard, All-Pro expdtn Leaf, sesame seed bun, Icon UCA's Fox Resi's BAMFsliders, sweet candy coating, LCAskids, diffcover 17" Addicts Yukon 4.56 Mt/r kevlar
    thats why i was wondering..i had african cichlids, and they eventually killed each other...i thought that was normal..but maybe i needed rift lake salt....damn, i probably cant afford to import my fish or water, sounds real pricey and dedicated.

13. Mar 2, 2011 at 10:38 PM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    Pricey yes, you need hiding spots and caves so they can hide. Never had a problem with mine.

14. Mar 2, 2011 at 10:47 PM
    darkgreentaco

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    yes, i always had a LMS(last man standing), but i guess i need more hiding spots. thank you.

15. Mar 2, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    norcal4banger

norcal4banger 11-98 MUD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 4 Cylinder 2WD 5 Lug RC Tacoma
    Plattys and Mollys make babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They ruined my last tank! and x2 what everyone said about plecos. they need algae, dont give them the wafers, they will just rely on those and not eat the real shit

16. Mar 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    scott572011

scott572011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SCOTT
    SO-CAL.
    Vehicle:
    THE RELENTLESS PRUIST....
    BF GOODRICH T/A ko, BILSTEIN HDs, AMERICAN RACING RAZOR`S 16X7.5, READYLIFT SST HYBRID LIFT SYSTEMS, ALTEC LANSING AUDIO,DREGS OF THE EARTH SYSTEMS,WOLF EYES,SUREFIRE ILLUMINATION TOOLS,HK-PROTECTION!!. POP LOCK, SHORTY ANTENNA, TACO TENT #3,. NITECORE ILLUMINATION, FENIX FLASHLITES. STILL PROTECTOR`S, FACTORY BED MAT, CUSTOM BED WEB, INTRO-TECH INTRO-GUARD CUSTOM TRUCK COVER, CENTER CONSOLE LOCK MOD, TECH-SHADE M1068, WEATHER-TECH CLEAR-COVER`S, OEM MINI TIE-DOWNS, TRUCK BEDZ AIR MATTRESS EXPEDITION SERIES, McGARD TOUGH NUTS WHEEL LOCK`S, DISABLE SEAT/BELT CHIME MOD, GARMIN GPS, KERSHAW BLADE`S, SKELETOOL, WEATHER-TECH FLOORLINER DIGITAL-FIT GRAY # 461781, NITE(IZE) KNOT-BONE ADJUSTABLE BUNGEE SYSTEM, WET OKole SEAT COVERS, UNDER DASH FLYZEYE BW LED LIGHT W/CUSTOM BLUE HALOS. NITECORE IFE1 INFILUX ILLUMINATION SYSTEM. JETBEAM BC-10 HANDHELD, HK VP-70Z 9mm PROTECTION!. JETBEAM PC-10 550 LUMEN ILLUMINATION SYSTEM. SUREFIRE E2D-LED-DEFENDER ULTRA 500 LUMENS KICK ASS ILLUMINATION...VIPER ALARM SYSTEM`S,ROCKFORD FOSGATE POWER COMPONENT SYSTEM`S.KENWOOD AUDIO/VIDEO,HUSHMAT SOUND DEADENING INSULATION,3M AUTOMOTIVE FILMS.
    CICHLEDS ARE A PUZZLE, AGGRESSIVE, TO SAY THE LEAST. BUT NOT ALL!. CAN MAKE A REALLY COOL TANK!!! ​

17. Mar 2, 2011 at 11:22 PM
    norcal4banger

norcal4banger 11-98 MUD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 4 Cylinder 2WD 5 Lug RC Tacoma
    Get catfish. They keep keep your tank spotless.

18. Mar 3, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier

The bass i had were the funest fish to watch, at about 2" long they would start eating large feeders whole. I always went after the rare chiclids, got tired of seeing the same old thing.

Find yourself a small fish store and buy from them, buying at a big chain pet store sucks.

Flower horns are cool but get too aggressive when they are large, sucks having one fish in a big tank.

19. Mar 3, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    You can go with the plecs immediatly. You will just have to algae disc feed them for a few weeks.
    I had about 20 cichlids. (electra blue johannies, brownies and yellow labs) and 2 plecs living peacefully and breeding fulibornis in a 55 gal.

20. Mar 5, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    edcal

edcal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner
    Icon Coil Overs/AAL, Bilstein 5100's, 285/75/16's on MT Classic Locks, 4runner Hood Scoop Mod, Yakima Roof Rack w/BVG Roof Basket, Alpine iDA-X100 Head Unit, iCom V8000 w/Comet SBB25 Antenna, Dual LED Dust Lights, DeChromed, DeBadged, small cosmetic mods like Clear Corner Lights, Painted Tail Lights, Mesh Grille, Tinted Windows & LineX Bed
    Cool tank Mickyd. what kind of cichlids did you get? Be aware some cichlids will out grow your barbs and eat em and even out grow your 55 gallon. Anyways have fun with your new tank, Heres a vid of my 240 gallon South American Eartheater tank...enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgF4ba1h5Zg

Products Discussed in

To Top