LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Martial arts training

Old 03-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Martial arts training

Who on the forum has martial arts training (includes all types like karate, jiu jitsu, mma, ect...)

if you have training, what rank?
Old 03-09-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
I have some training, not at black belt yet, but i have 3 belts to go until black (thoughin my system it is actually 5, since there is advanced brown and advanced red, as well as brown and red)
Old 03-09-2011, 05:06 AM   #3
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
I did Krav Maga for a while back at the beach, no place to do it out here though. I'd love to get back to it.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
redrx8 has a spectacular aura aboutredrx8 has a spectacular aura about
redrx8's Tacoma Gallery
Black belt in wado-kai, orange in tae-kwon-do and yellow in hap ki do.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
TacomaNC is on a distinguished road
TacomaNC's Tacoma Gallery
Boxing and jiu jitsu for 6 years
Old 03-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
1st Degree black belt in Karate. Also dabbled a little in boxing and grappling but just because we had guests come into our dojo and train with us.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
TacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Billyson
TacoBS's Tacoma Gallery
bit of jiu jitsu
Old 07-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Muay Thai
Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.sonsonmartialartsacademy.org/
Trained with this guy for a good 13 years (since I was 5? )
Before I had to leave, I got to 1st dan. Was supposed to start my 2nd dan training but I moved too far from the dojo. Havent stopped practicing at home though.

"Freestyle martial arts" like kickboxing with other things thrown in. (MMA?)

Too bad everyone thinks their a fighter nowadays.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
TacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post

Too bad everyone thinks their a fighter nowadays.
Agreed!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
the bros who wear tap out shirts, that by wearing that shirt automatically are UFC fighters
Old 07-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
SilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
SilverTacoEater's Tacoma Gallery
jiu jitsu for two years, currently a blue belt. been dabbling in boxing and kickboxing for about 4 months.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #14
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
the bros who wear tap out shirts, that by wearing that shirt automatically are UFC fighters

i agree haha!

me and my friends used to get together every friday and fight when i was like a sophmore and junior.

i was "alright" if i fought anyone that trained for a while they would kick my ass. but non trained people i would usually win.

i think those are 2 of our user names on you tube. i won a little over half of my fights.

zjfightclub
nhfcericloan
Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ROB
MartyMcfly's Tacoma Gallery
Started out with Chinese Karate (Moore's Shou Shu) then transfered to Brazilian Jiu-jitsu then transfered to Aikido (Iwama Ryu)

To me, that was the perfect path to take. Start out in standup only to get coordination and the basics down, then learn ground fighting to get your leverage and learn to apply technique by feel instead of relying on your eyes. And ground fighting is not bad to have in your arsenal. Then move to Aikido to polish everything you've learned so far. Aikido to me is like graduate school. To really grasp it you need to have prior experience with other martial arts. Since it's almost purely defense, it's paramount to learn offense first. This way, you know what you're defending against.

If anyone is interested in getting into Aikido, hit me up, I can give you some insight on good schools and which ones would be a good match for what you want.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
greasemonk is on a distinguished road

greasemonk's Tacoma Gallery
First started brazilian jiu-jitsu about 8 years ago (as a kid) but took a few years off. I've been taking it seriously the past 3 years and just got my purple belt about 4 months ago. I wrestled on the utsa club team before I transferred schools and do mma as well. I actually had an amateur mma fight a couple of years ago
Old 08-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #18

TacoBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonk View Post
First started brazilian jiu-jitsu about 8 years ago (as a kid) but took a few years off. I've been taking it seriously the past 3 years and just got my purple belt about 4 months ago. I wrestled on the utsa club team before I transferred schools and do mma as well. I actually had an amateur mma fight a couple of years ago
How'd you fair in your first bout? Sounds like you got a solid base and are plenty young to achieve high ranks! Stay motivated and best of luck!

Edit: Oh yeah...congrats on the purple
Old 08-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #20
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
Started out with Chinese Karate (Moore's Shou Shu) then transfered to Brazilian Jiu-jitsu then transfered to Aikido (Iwama Ryu)

To me, that was the perfect path to take. Start out in standup only to get coordination and the basics down, then learn ground fighting to get your leverage and learn to apply technique by feel instead of relying on your eyes. And ground fighting is not bad to have in your arsenal. Then move to Aikido to polish everything you've learned so far. Aikido to me is like graduate school. To really grasp it you need to have prior experience with other martial arts. Since it's almost purely defense, it's paramount to learn offense first. This way, you know what you're defending against.

If anyone is interested in getting into Aikido, hit me up, I can give you some insight on good schools and which ones would be a good match for what you want.
Great train of thought! Aikido is a soft art, as in it is fluent and uses only the effort put forth by your opponent. The general rule of thumb is that you must learn the hard, physically brutal arts, kicking, punching and breaking before you learn a soft art because it is very difficult to become proficient in a soft art then try and learn a hard art. But if you are hard first and learn to be soft thats just a thing of beauty!

Oh and for myself I'm a practicing Aikijujutsu (Aikido, Judo, and Karate)student of 19yrs. I prefer being a student than being an instructor however I have learned very much from both.