Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

cheap mountain bike rack

Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Artax
ezatnova is on a distinguished road
ezatnova's Tacoma Gallery
Was looking for something just like this...a cheap sollution to mount my mountain bike in the back of the bed. But, I don't get how you mount this thing (so it's not always in the bed, prohibiting you from sliding stuff into there when you aren't using it for carrying the bike). Would you mount it to some board or something?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
levi
Robertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to all

Name: Levi
Robertocritser's Tacoma Gallery
If you use a bolt with some washers if should slide in by the window, I will upload some pics for you when I get home
Old 03-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
sweet, thanks!
I've been meaning to get one.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
Artax
Thanks. No rail like that on 1st gens though.

I bought one and figured I'd just try to mount it to the 2x8 that I have in the notches in the bed liner, which I keep in there as a little divider. Should probably work.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
levi
Robertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to allRobertocritser is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Thanks. No rail like that on 1st gens though.

I bought one and figured I'd just try to mount it to the 2x8 that I have in the notches in the bed liner, which I keep in there as a little divider. Should probably work.
im certain it will, with 20 dollars you dont have much to loose haha

post pics when you get it done and let me know how it works
Old 05-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
Professional Cube-Jockey
winterboy04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
winterboy04's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious how you guys are locking the rear wheel down? I have two bikes and just ordered a pair of these mounts (great find!) but the given the tipsy nature of the truck (07 access cab), i'm wondering how i can rig a "removable" wheel strap up? any ideas or anyone done it?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
Artax
Hey all. Sorry I keep forgetting to put up pics of this setup on my bed divider board. It's worked GREAT!

Regarding the rear wheel securing...I haven't found it necessary. The clamp really holds the bike, and the front fork takes the brunt of the force. Would I prefer to have the rear locked down? Absolutely, but I can't imagine a way of doing that which would be easily removable and not mess up the flat bed bottom which is used 99% of the time without the bike.

Fwiw, i do just run a bungee through the rear wheel, from left rear to right rear bed cargo hooks. I figure if something catastrophic happens, that may at least save the bike from becoming a projectile.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
DumpTruckTacoma is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
DumpTruckTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.rockymounts.com/Clutch_SD_p/011.htm

These are a bit more expensive, but they fit factory second gen rails and come with locking skewers. They are secure enough to use as additional tie down spots as well.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Packguy2 is on a distinguished road
Packguy2's Tacoma Gallery
To the OP, were you able to tighten the bolts down so they don't vibrate loose? It doesn't look like much room to get in there with a wrench.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
levi

I went to lowes and found a rectangle type bolt and put the screw in that, you can also use two nuts and they secure on each other as well
Old 06-21-2011, 04:32 AM   #13
Artax
Post FINALLY sending pics

Here are a couple of pics of my old bike on this board/rack. It seems to do quite well! I tend to not drive the truck too lightly even with the bike in there and it holds securely. I run a bungie through the rear wheel and disconnected front wheel, from rear tie down to rear tie down, across the bed, just as a safety backup.
Attached Thumbnails
cheap mountain bike rack-photo-1.jpg   cheap mountain bike rack-photo-2.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 04:42 AM   #14
levi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Here are a couple of pics of my old bike on this board/rack. It seems to do quite well! I tend to not drive the truck too lightly even with the bike in there and it holds securely. I run a bungie through the rear wheel and disconnected front wheel, from rear tie down to rear tie down, across the bed, just as a safety backup.
Looks good!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 AM   #15
Professional Cube-Jockey
winterboy04 is on a distinguished road

winterboy04's Tacoma Gallery
i actually was cheap and bought the less expensive mounts. I used some 'Automotive screws" with a large built in and welded washer to hold the on (and some lock nuts). The only thing i see that may be better on the other models is that the base plate needs to be just a LITTLE bit wider. the edge comes to the edge of the rail system and it looks like if you tighteb it too much you could sen it inside the flange of the rail system. So far so good though, took it down some rough dirt roads to get to the bike trails with two bikes on it and it worked mint. I need to come up with a cretive way of locking down the removed front tires because keeping em in the truck cab sucks.
Attached Thumbnails
cheap mountain bike rack-bigger-bike-rack.jpg  
Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #16
levi

I normally run a bungy cord across the bed attaching them to the tie downs and run it through my wheel. It's not secure but it does the job
Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #17
Artax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertocritser View Post
I normally run a bungy cord across the bed attaching them to the tie downs and run it through my wheel. It's not secure but it does the job
+1
Old 06-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #18
Welcome to the abusement park.
bschmitt09 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
bschmitt09's Tacoma Gallery
Just use this. Makes shuttle runs a hell of a lot faster. If you're going on a long trip and/or high speed, just bungie the frame to the tie down and voila - bike secure.

http://www.dakine.com/bike/accessori...ick-up-pad-sm/

More expensive but well worth the investment.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:50 AM   #19
doubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nice

doubletaco's Tacoma Gallery
Made one for my 1st gen welded some 2inch angle to the tie down hooks.
Attached Thumbnails
cheap mountain bike rack-bike-rack.jpg  
Old 10-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #20
The109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of light
Navy:
Name: Joe
The109's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. I ordered two. Once they arrive I just need to go to Lowes to pick out some bolts/washers/nuts.