1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Metal Detectors

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by coffeesnob, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Apr 3, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    Anyone into metal detectors? I have been thinking about getting one to check my yard out etc.... What are recommendations? I don't want a childs toy but I don't want to spend a bunch either. I have seen some of those bounty hunters pioneer 2 on ebay for a reasnable price. There sure are a lot of brands. Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Apr 3, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    skb7527

skb7527 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McKinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4X4
    Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT tires with America Outlaw Sheriff wheels, Bilstein 5100s all the way around, OME coils, Toytech ICONS HD leafs, debadged, removed pin stipe, chopped tail pipe, weather tech floor mats, Leer color match topper, Toyota bed mat, homemade eight ball gear shifter and 4XInnovations weld on sliders
    We use the Garrett Metat Detectors here at work and they get the job done...

3. May 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I now have 2 detectors. A Garrett TR Coinmaster Discriminator that my Grandfather bought in 1976 for 229.00 It was top of the line back then, with all the bells and whistles. I just bought a Whites coinmaster pro which is much lighter,digital but an entey level detector based on today's standards. The older Garret isn't really any harder to use but you do have to read a bit to get the machine set to the ground you are hunting. The Whites is a plug and play, just turn it on and go type of machine. Today I went out with a friend and we found almost 3 dollars in one section of beach, all newer clad coins, then I found my first gold this year, a 14K white gold earring with 8 small diamonds mounted. Month to date I am at about 20 bucks found in coin and the one gold and diamond earring. So I hope to re-coup the 239.00 cost of the new machine I purchased by the time the summer is over. Oh and I found the gold using the "OLD" 1976 Garrett, the New Whites Coinmaster Pro had a hard time giving a clean signal in the salt (beach) environment. But either way, I can say I found gold today, not too many people can say that!

4. May 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    rpking

rpking Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 TRD off road
    painted engine cover, bed cover, color match door handles, window tint, seat covers, weather gaurd floor mats, TRD stainless steel cat back exhaust, front skid pan, bug deflector, custom holster mount in center console, OME 884X springs and shocks, 2" AAL, OME shocks
    I've always wanted a detector, I think it would be fun, might have to get one someday

5. May 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    Ok I see you are in Ohio, very old state as compared to Florida. My hometown is less than 50 years old, up north you can scout old houses, churches or barns to find silver coins. REAL coins that are made from amost 90% real silver, not the zinc coins we have today. I see all the time where a guy finds a 1940 or older 50cent coin that is worth over 15 bucks based on silver scrap cost. NOT that I would scrap an old coin, but you see the value in finding those hidden coins and rings . I don't ever expect to get rich on this hobby but I enjoy the outdoors and finding gold and silver never sucks. Give it a try, in your neck of the woods, could you find Civil War relics or early American articacts? Either way, something fun to do on a Saturday. Good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top