Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Hybrid / Commuter Bike

Old 04-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #21
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
If your budget is only $800 I'd start looking at fixed gear bikes. You can get a decent fixy for under $800. Try the Giant Bowery, Specialized Langster, or Trek 5th district. Fixy's are pretty good commuters. That's why so many bike messengers use them. Not to mention that they are cheaper initially, and maintenance wise.

If you're going to buy anything else, you should get at least Shimano Ultegra (or comparable) gears. Anything less than that will be shredded in a year or two. Then you will be looking at a new bike or new gears, which will cost you almost as much.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:12 AM   #22
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
I'm fascinated (but will never be one) by single speed riders. I'm not talking about someone who just puts around a neighborhood on one like we did on our BMX's when we were kids. I'm talking about some of these hard core MTN bike riders riding on single speeds...crazy to me.

I was camping and riding in Smithville, TX a couple of months ago, and a buddy of mine and I ran into a guy from MN riding there. Smithville (Rocky Hill Ranch) has some pretty tough hills...I was using every single one of my lower gears. This guy from MN was riding a single speed mountain bike on these hills. Not a cheapo one either, about a $3000 custom built job. I was pretty impressed he could climb as good as he was on a single speed.

I guess it's a new purist mtn bike movement or something.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #23
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, so it's down to these two:
Bianchi Camaleonte Uno

Speacialized Sirrus Elite

I need to decide asap because my bike was stolen today.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #24
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
Bought the Sirrus, fit better, despite loving the look of the Bianchi. I hope to put many miles on this bad boy.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #25
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Bought the Sirrus, fit better, despite loving the look of the Bianchi. I hope to put many miles on this bad boy.
I'm sure you will.

A good way to ensure that is to occasionally sign up for some local charity bike rides. They usually range from 10 to 100 miles.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #26
nelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Neil
nelztaco's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the cyclocross bike. I found a surly cross check on cl for pretty cheap. I stripped the paint with aircraft stripper had it powder coated and put new decals on it. Then I found a parts bike on cl for cheap but can't bring myself to strip it down because its so nice. The donor bike is a fuji cross comp I scored for $300 in great shape. BTW look up surly cross check online and you will see that it has been the go-to bike for many for several years.

url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/166526/cat/500][/url]