Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Hybrid / Commuter Bike

Old 04-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
Hybrid / Commuter Bike

I live downtown and bike to work every day (2 miles) and I am looking into upgrading to something nicer. I want something that will be reliable enough to go over uneven paved roads and be able to go on 20 mile weekend rides.

I'm also 6'5'', so finding a bike large enough is often an issue.

I have been looking at the Specialized Sirrus Elite but I'm worried that it might not be rugged enough.

Suggestions?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bump for comments. Going to go look at the specialized tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Captain

Anyone? Looks like we only have mountain bike riders here.

Also is it normal for a bike store to want you to buy a bike before you get to test ride it to see if it fits. Seems like no one stocks xl bikes.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
shit, i hope you havent bought anything yet. i have a specialized mountian bike. nice enough bike, but very "vanilla". exciting like a honda accord.

i recently needed a commuter, and a grocery getter.

i bought a Cyclocross bike. basically a road bike with fatter tires, generous geometry, and burly cantilever brakes. i got a SURLY crosscheck. i took some rough fire roads with ease. the thing climbs hills fantastic. i am trying to get back into shape, and it is really helping. cyclocross frames typically have attachment points for racks, so that is a big plus, once i start using this thing to go to work.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
here is a crappy pic
Attached Thumbnails
Hybrid / Commuter Bike-break-032.jpg  
Old 04-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
the surly runs large..i test road a used bike. a 52 cm, and it fit. i took a gamble and ordered a 54..even better.

i would go to a bike store and sit on a few..you will get a very good idea on what bike to order. i paid $899 shipped..total to my door. GREAT DEAL!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
hey, my wife has the Sirrus. she likes it. the sirrus is more like a mountian bike trying to be a road bike.

a cyclocross is more of a road bike trying to be more mountian.

a cyclocross will be more comfy longer distances. i might try to put some drop handlebars on my wife's rig.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Anyone? Looks like we only have mountain bike riders here.

Also is it normal for a bike store to want you to buy a bike before you get to test ride it to see if it fits. Seems like no one stocks xl bikes.
Not normal at all. A huge thing with road bikes is how they fit you and how you like the ride. If they won't get a bike for you to test ride, don't buy from them.

Edit: I just talked to a friend at a bike store and he said that they usually have at least one XL frame in each category, just for people to test ride. That way you can test out the frame, and if you like it, order the one you want.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you gave a price range so this would be my suggestion:
Giant TCX 1

...either that or a dash

Giant makes their bikes to be more comfortable than fast. If you are going for a commuter, I think you will like it. I have the same frame road bike and I like it a lot. I like it more than the Cannondale I had before it.

They have cheaper versions too, but anything less than $1000 and you're going to have much lower quality drive train.

Also, with a commuter most people ride more upright, so I might suggest looking at something with a flat handle bar or with cyclocross brake levers.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
Cannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannonball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Cannonball's Tacoma Gallery
I use a Felt F15X cyclocross bike for my commute (12mi). The commute is a mix of pavement and graded canal banks so the cross bike is perfect. I have a Schwinn Coffee that I used for my old commute which was only 1.5mi.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I live downtown and bike to work every day (2 miles) and I am looking into upgrading to something nicer. I want something that will be reliable enough to go over uneven paved roads and be able to go on 20 mile weekend rides.

I'm also 6'5'', so finding a bike large enough is often an issue.

I have been looking at the Specialized Sirrus Elite but I'm worried that it might not be rugged enough.

Suggestions?
For what you are describing, I'd use a mountain bike. I have both a mountain bike and a road bike. I pull my road bike down and dust it off to ride it about 4 times a year. I ride it to get ready for the BP MS150 (150+ mile bike ride, Houston to Austin) and on the ride itself. I do all of my other riding on my mountain bike because it is so versatile. Riding around neighborhood, riding with kids, even some training rides up to about 50 miles. It's just a more comfortable, and versatile bike.

The only advantage my road bike has is speed (lighter and less tire resistance) and that also helps for serious hill climbing.

I know a lot of people that buy road bikes and then when they realize they are not serious road riders, they end up selling them, whereas I believe if they bought a mountain bike (or a hybrid that was closer to mountain than road bike) I think they'd get much more use out of it.

My $0.02
Old 04-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Captain

So my budget is 800 or less. Still looking, I have an app scouring craigslist for me too. I currently have a mountain bike but it's a 20 year old heavy beast so anything would be an upgrade. I think buying my tacoma took less time than buying my bike. Also what is your opinion on the Marin Fairfax?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So my budget is 800 or less. Still looking, I have an app scouring craigslist for me too. I currently have a mountain bike but it's a 20 year old heavy beast so anything would be an upgrade. I think buying my tacoma took less time than buying my bike. Also what is your opinion on the Marin Fairfax?
Funny...both my bikes are Marin's. My road bike, which technically is considered a hybrid, is the Marin Lucas Valley, which is very similar to the Fairfax...I think it is a model or two higher.

Great bike...about 95% road bike with the only difference being the handle bar setup and the fork. Everything else about it is road bike. Since I do more mountain biking, I wanted a road bike with all of the benefits of a road bike, but with a similar riding position of my mountain bike...which is a Marin Palisades Trail.

Both bikes would be close to your budget. I caught mine on sale. The ALP series of hybrids by Marin, are much more road than anything else though. I know some hybrids are very versitile, but I would not ride these on anything other than pretty smooth road. You're not going to be hopping curbs or anything on the Fairfax.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking at getting a hybrid bike as well. REI has a few that I was considering but I don't know too much about which brands have good reputations.

Here are the ones I was looking at: Novara Forza, Scott Sportster 55, and Cannondale Quick CX 3.

Sorry OP, not trying to take over your thread. Just thought I'd throw those out there to see if anyone has opinions about them.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
Captain

I've been to REI, novara's run small, and in order to get the largest cannondale size you need to special order it which is an extra $100 for shipping and you dont get their 10% back for being a member either. REI = Fail if you are over 6'2''
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
Captain

Does anyone make a cyclocross for under $1000?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #17
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been to REI, novara's run small, and in order to get the largest cannondale size you need to special order it which is an extra $100 for shipping and you dont get their 10% back for being a member either. REI = Fail if you are over 6'2''
Wow, I didn't know that. That really sucks for tall folks. Sorry to hear it.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #18

Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
I've been looking at getting a hybrid bike as well. REI has a few that I was considering but I don't know too much about which brands have good reputations.

Here are the ones I was looking at: Novara Forza, Scott Sportster 55, and Cannondale Quick CX 3.

Sorry OP, not trying to take over your thread. Just thought I'd throw those out there to see if anyone has opinions about them.
Those are all good brands, but I remember REI being especially pricey...but it's been a while since I have been to one. I buy shoes from them online occasionally, but that is about it.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #19
roadking1 is on a distinguished road
roadking1's Tacoma Gallery
Raliegh makes a nice hybrid bike. under $500.00
Old 04-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #20
Quote:
Does anyone make a cyclocross for under $1000?
my surly was $899 shipped to my door.