Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

What hitch mount bike rack???

Old 03-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #21
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
That design is similar to the Yakima & Thule versions--except they fold up when not in use. How will you hold the bike to the rack?
There will be tie downs on each side, in the middle, because he wants to be able to just throw one strap over the center of the bike and sinch it down with no worries
Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
Misfit is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Misfit's Tacoma Gallery
Not Cheap.. But a very good product.

OP - I have the Quick-Rack from 1UP USA which is a company based in WI. The racks are CNC'd aluminum and Made in the USA. This rack fits all of your requirements except one(Price), but I think you should at least be aware of it. I have had mine for 3yrs and it still works great. The company even sends me updated parts when they tweak the design. Not to mention it breaks down into a box that will easily store anywhere.

One Bike-

One Bike W/Add-On for a second bike -

** Not My pictures
Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #23
cdnmtbkr is on a distinguished road

Name: Allan
cdnmtbkr's Tacoma Gallery
These guys should be considered too! May have issues with road bikes though.

http://northshoreracks.com/

www.ratracks.com

www.tufrack.com
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #24
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to revive an older thread but figured it is better than having another one.

I currently have a SportRack that carries up to 4 bikes. Had it for 4 years, but with continious use, the two metal top plates are in rough shape. They are bending under stress. I guess metal fatigue. Last time out I almost lost my bike on the highway . Replacement top plate costs $60 each, I would need two, so I think it is time for a new bike rack.

This is what I have now: Sportrack Hitch n Drive A30604.
http://www.sportrack.com/a30604/

This particular Sportrack is not the best design by any means, beeing only one bar and with many different frame styles and frame tubes shapes it is not easy to have bikes secure.
  • I already have a locking hitch pin I would like to reuse. I know it won't fit some of the Thule racks.
  • Right now I use a padlock through the top plate, so I will need a way to lock my bikes to the rack.
  • I think I like the double bar racks for better stability such as Yakima BigHorn or DoubleDown
  • I don't like that all these new racks I found these days tilt for easier access and to do that they usually use a pin that can be removed and the rest of the rack stolen with bikes still on it.
Is there a sturdy, secure and reasonably priced 4 or 5 bike rack available these days? Prefer one that does not tilt and has two bars on top. I would consider a tray style hitch rack if it meets the criteria, but those seem to be out of my budget...