1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What hitch mount bike rack???

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Fire931, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Apr 17, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    So I'm on the hunt for a good bike rack that attaches via the hitch. I need it to hold 3 bikes (currently 2 adult and 1 children's). I was hoping some of you guys have had some experience with different models and can make some suggestions. I'm not looking for anything expensive, just something that gets the job done. Thanks!

2. Apr 17, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list
    Yakima makes great racks but can get pricy, check out the "allen deluxe 3" I think its under $100 and does a decent job.

Why not just fab something up? I made one awhile back for 2 bikes, I used 2" square up, 2" square out about 14" and notched for 1 3/4" pipe, cut a 2" section of 1 3/4" pipe then cut it down the middle and welded that back into the 2" square I notched. Put some strips of rubber on it, threw the bikes on and used a ratchet strap to hold them down, it was solid and worked, only cost about $20.

3. Apr 17, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've got a Thule and it's alright but there are a lot of things that pissed me off about it but they can be redone. It attaches to the receiver with a bolt rather than a hitch pin and the top part that folds down also requires tools to take the bolt out. I replaced the top part with a cotter pin and drilled out the hitch portion so it will accept a standard locking hitch pin. If you don't do this, Thule requires that you buy their lock kit for another $60. I've only got the 2 bike carrier and it seems that everytime I use it the bike that's further out slides down on the bars and into the inside bike. In short, don't buy a Thule...

BTW, I've got the Roadway bike carrier.

4. Apr 28, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
  5. Apr 28, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    I just used the Thule 4-bike carrier over the weekend and was stunned by how crappy it was. The bikes kept sliding into each other, the mounts wouldn't hold the bikes in place without using zip-ties around the frames, and the rubbing made it necessary for me to zip-tie cardboard around the frames and forks to reduce damage to the bikes. Unfortunately, all the moving around that the bikes did negated the placement of the cardboard and wore the finish off of some previously nice bikes.

x2 on the "don't get the Thule hitch bike carrier." They normally make outstanding stuff, but this thing is a pile of crap. I would have been better off stacking the bikes on top of each other in the bed.

6. Apr 28, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
  7. Apr 28, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Another vote to get something other than thule. The bolt thing in the hitch pugga talked about & I had to buy some other accessory from yakima to keep the wheels from swinging without having to use 30 extra bungy cords to tie my bikes on there. :rolleyes:

8. Apr 28, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    flyingface

flyingface Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Soon....
    We have a Yakima 4 or 5 bike carrier that is pretty sturdy, I forget how much it was. I like the fork mount in the bed for longer trips but for just running back and forth to school this works great and is easier than removing the front wheel every time.

9. Apr 28, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    Yea I had a fork mount in the bed for my bike and just threw the kiddos in the bed but now that I have the bed rack the bike doesn't fit anymore.. I may end up getting some mounts for the bike and fabbing my own rack to suit me.

10. May 21, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    [​IMG]

Ive had this one for several years. cheap and works great

Rage Powersport - Horizon x 3 Hitch Bike Rack - 2"

11. May 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    bradu81

bradu81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    Silver Dbl Cab 4x4
  12. May 22, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I have a Thule 2 bike rack. The bolt in the receiver keeps the rack from rocking back and forth by wedging the rack in the receiver mount. This keeps the rack from rocking back and forth. It's a bit of a pain to get my Santa Cruz on it because of the frame design but otherwise, it works great and I've no complaints at all.

Oh yeah, I use a bungie cord for the front tire--takes all of 2 seconds to fasten and I'm good to go. The rack came with locks for both the bikes and hitch mount.

A couple of weeks ago, a guy backed into it. It's bent a bit but his car is a whole lot worse off (rear taillight assembly, trunk lid bent, etc.) which makes it pretty sturdy too. I used the Hi-Lift to straighten it.

13. Mar 1, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    JPHoyle1

JPHoyle1 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCSB MT
  14. Mar 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Looks like the same retention mechanism as the Thule. Works pretty well for frames that are fairly straight backed. More difficult for frames like the Santa Cruz.

15. Mar 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I just designed one for my teacher who is an avid mountain biker. Who shared the design with another teacher, who also bikes. He wants to start producing the design. It it actually quite simple to make, and breaks down easily.

This is the design, it is aluminum and adjustable for different sized bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The design can be tweaker to hold as many bikes as you want, and have them sit closer together so they dont hang back as far. His was designed so each rack would sit far apart because of the way his bikes would sit.

They would also be facing opposite directions, which I forgot to change when I was editing them.... damn

16. Mar 3, 2012 at 10:05 PM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Forgot to add it will also have an extension to add two more bikes, for a total or four. The design could be tweaked to however you would want.

17. Mar 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    That design is similar to the Yakima & Thule versions--except they fold up when not in use. How will you hold the bike to the rack?

18. Mar 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Old thread...I know....:rolleyes:

We bought a Yakima Double down 2. It's a NICE rack for the receiver and definitely worth the money!! Folds down easily to put the tailgate down. Arms fold down also. It secures in the receiver nicely with no rattles/shakes. Very happy with it!

19. Mar 4, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    Mr Hyde

Mr Hyde 3rd Taco's a charm

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD O/R 4x4
    TRD Catback, Rugged tri-fold Tonneau, Bed Extender, Tint, Ventshades, BFG ATKO's, and more to come.
    I have been using a Rhode Gear 4 bike carrier since last summer. It is quite nice for the money, and has adjustable mounts that will take anything from a mountain bike to a kids bike. Velcro straps, on ridged (for cables) rubber feet. The upright swings down to allow access to the tailgate, trunk, etc. It is very sturdy, and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

20. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    Forster46

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    There will be tie downs on each side, in the middle, because he wants to be able to just throw one strap over the center of the bike and sinch it down with no worries

Products Discussed in

To Top