Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

What hitch mount bike rack???

Old 04-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
What hitch mount bike rack???

So I'm on the hunt for a good bike rack that attaches via the hitch. I need it to hold 3 bikes (currently 2 adult and 1 children's). I was hoping some of you guys have had some experience with different models and can make some suggestions. I'm not looking for anything expensive, just something that gets the job done. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Yakima makes great racks but can get pricy, check out the "allen deluxe 3" I think its under $100 and does a decent job.

Why not just fab something up? I made one awhile back for 2 bikes, I used 2" square up, 2" square out about 14" and notched for 1 3/4" pipe, cut a 2" section of 1 3/4" pipe then cut it down the middle and welded that back into the 2" square I notched. Put some strips of rubber on it, threw the bikes on and used a ratchet strap to hold them down, it was solid and worked, only cost about $20.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Thule and it's alright but there are a lot of things that pissed me off about it but they can be redone. It attaches to the receiver with a bolt rather than a hitch pin and the top part that folds down also requires tools to take the bolt out. I replaced the top part with a cotter pin and drilled out the hitch portion so it will accept a standard locking hitch pin. If you don't do this, Thule requires that you buy their lock kit for another $60. I've only got the 2 bike carrier and it seems that everytime I use it the bike that's further out slides down on the bars and into the inside bike. In short, don't buy a Thule...

BTW, I've got the Roadway bike carrier.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I've got a Thule and it's alright but there are a lot of things that pissed me off about it but they can be redone. It attaches to the receiver with a bolt rather than a hitch pin and the top part that folds down also requires tools to take the bolt out. I replaced the top part with a cotter pin and drilled out the hitch portion so it will accept a standard locking hitch pin. If you don't do this, Thule requires that you buy their lock kit for another $60. I've only got the 2 bike carrier and it seems that everytime I use it the bike that's further out slides down on the bars and into the inside bike. In short, don't buy a Thule...

BTW, I've got the Roadway bike carrier.
I just used the Thule 4-bike carrier over the weekend and was stunned by how crappy it was. The bikes kept sliding into each other, the mounts wouldn't hold the bikes in place without using zip-ties around the frames, and the rubbing made it necessary for me to zip-tie cardboard around the frames and forks to reduce damage to the bikes. Unfortunately, all the moving around that the bikes did negated the placement of the cardboard and wore the finish off of some previously nice bikes.

x2 on the "don't get the Thule hitch bike carrier." They normally make outstanding stuff, but this thing is a pile of crap. I would have been better off stacking the bikes on top of each other in the bed.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjunkie View Post
This is the one I have. It is great.

http://www.swagmanbikeracks.com/shop...&cat=24&page=1
That looks like a great option!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote to get something other than thule. The bolt thing in the hitch pugga talked about & I had to buy some other accessory from yakima to keep the wheels from swinging without having to use 30 extra bungy cords to tie my bikes on there.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
flyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to all

Name: Zach
flyingface's Tacoma Gallery
We have a Yakima 4 or 5 bike carrier that is pretty sturdy, I forget how much it was. I like the fork mount in the bed for longer trips but for just running back and forth to school this works great and is easier than removing the front wheel every time.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingface View Post
We have a Yakima 4 or 5 bike carrier that is pretty sturdy, I forget how much it was. I like the fork mount in the bed for longer trips but for just running back and forth to school this works great and is easier than removing the front wheel every time.
Yea I had a fork mount in the bed for my bike and just threw the kiddos in the bed but now that I have the bed rack the bike doesn't fit anymore.. I may end up getting some mounts for the bike and fabbing my own rack to suit me.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery

Ive had this one for several years. cheap and works great

Rage Powersport - Horizon x 3 Hitch Bike Rack - 2"
Old 05-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
carlfrak is on a distinguished road
Name: Carl
carlfrak's Tacoma Gallery
Don't waste your money getting a bike rack, get a hitch basket! I have one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Valley-90590-D.../dp/B0002ZY23E

that I picked up for around $50. I put all three of our bikes on it, with nothing more than a couple tie downs. That way, you can also use it for hauling misc items when you don't need the bike. Heck, last camping trip we had our cooler in the middle, with one adult bike on the outside of each side: two bikes, one cooler - on one $50 rack!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
bradu81 will become famous soon enoughbradu81 will become famous soon enough
bradu81's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up one of these. have had it for 5 years now.
Works great. With the extension i can fit 4 bikes. no wobbling. Its nice cuz i hate taking off the front wheel (20mm thru axle)
Its stable...held 4 DH bikes...at least 120 lbs

Got it for a steal at a REI used gear sale.

http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...6XTR%20T2.aspx
Old 05-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Thule 2 bike rack. The bolt in the receiver keeps the rack from rocking back and forth by wedging the rack in the receiver mount. This keeps the rack from rocking back and forth. It's a bit of a pain to get my Santa Cruz on it because of the frame design but otherwise, it works great and I've no complaints at all.

Oh yeah, I use a bungie cord for the front tire--takes all of 2 seconds to fasten and I'm good to go. The rack came with locks for both the bikes and hitch mount.

A couple of weeks ago, a guy backed into it. It's bent a bit but his car is a whole lot worse off (rear taillight assembly, trunk lid bent, etc.) which makes it pretty sturdy too. I used the Hi-Lift to straighten it.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
JPHoyle1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
JPHoyle1's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have any experience with the Rhino Rack 4 bike hitch mount? I can't seem to find many reviews online. Seems reasonably priced and folds down which is nice.

http://www.rhinorack.com/AccSubCateg...ck_558_11.aspx
Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #15
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHoyle1 View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Rhino Rack 4 bike hitch mount? I can't seem to find many reviews online. Seems reasonably priced and folds down which is nice.
Looks like the same retention mechanism as the Thule. Works pretty well for frames that are fairly straight backed. More difficult for frames like the Santa Cruz.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #16
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I just designed one for my teacher who is an avid mountain biker. Who shared the design with another teacher, who also bikes. He wants to start producing the design. It it actually quite simple to make, and breaks down easily.

This is the design, it is aluminum and adjustable for different sized bikes.

The design can be tweaker to hold as many bikes as you want, and have them sit closer together so they dont hang back as far. His was designed so each rack would sit far apart because of the way his bikes would sit.

They would also be facing opposite directions, which I forgot to change when I was editing them.... damn
Old 03-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Forgot to add it will also have an extension to add two more bikes, for a total or four. The design could be tweaked to however you would want.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #18

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
That design is similar to the Yakima & Thule versions--except they fold up when not in use. How will you hold the bike to the rack?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Old thread...I know....

We bought a Yakima Double down 2. It's a NICE rack for the receiver and definitely worth the money!! Folds down easily to put the tailgate down. Arms fold down also. It secures in the receiver nicely with no rattles/shakes. Very happy with it!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #20
3rd Taco's a charm
Mr Hyde is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
Mr Hyde's Tacoma Gallery
I have been using a Rhode Gear 4 bike carrier since last summer. It is quite nice for the money, and has adjustable mounts that will take anything from a mountain bike to a kids bike. Velcro straps, on ridged (for cables) rubber feet. The upright swings down to allow access to the tailgate, trunk, etc. It is very sturdy, and didn't cost an arm and a leg.