Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Shaving with straight razors

Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #41
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster1106 View Post
could you recommend a good starter razor?

anything made in america, germany, England

avoid pakistani and china crap

if you find a japanese straight (which is a different style) they are nice too, i want one

just dont get anything too big or too small (blade height), middle of the road is a good one

antique shops are good sources

Check out the forums over at straightrazorplace.com, they can send you in the right direction for everything, they are friendly to new comers from what i have seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
any good websites for good deals on straight blade kits?

I use Gillette hydro's 3 blades, they are pretty cheap. And one razor lasts me about 3 months. My skin isn't very sensitive so a dull razor doesn't bother me at all.
your better off building one yourself, check out the website i recommended above, they can help you a lot
Old 10-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #42
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
anything made in america, germany, England

avoid pakistani and china crap

if you find a japanese straight (which is a different style) they are nice too, i want one

just dont get anything too big or too small (blade height), middle of the road is a good one, check out the link in my last post, that should really get you started

better than i can anyways
thanks, I may start looking around then.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #43
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabarbhab View Post
Would this also work with a sharpening stone? ... Or would a stone damage the blade??
Old 10-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #44
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
Would this also work with a sharpening stone? ... Or would a stone damage the blade??
i seriously doubt it will work at all, if it does, it is only on cloth, i doubt on a stone...s because of the sides for the razor

again, i would recomedn this at all

and if your stone is very very fine,it would probably lead to irritation only
Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #45
jrgroucho is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
jrgroucho's Tacoma Gallery
I normally shave with a DE razor, I have close to three dozen. talk about RAD. (I also have enough blades to last for the the nest 25 years .)

I also have a Japanese style Feather that takes disposable blades. I use it when I have a few extra minutes or am going somewhere important.

As for cutting off my head, the learning curve isn't as steep as most think.

I recommend a good brush/blade/cream for anyone that that can't get a good shave or breaks out. I could never get a clean shave with multi-blade razors, but I never break out with the old style stuff.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #46
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
i seriously doubt it will work at all, if it does, it is only on cloth, i doubt on a stone...s because of the sides for the razor

again, i would recomedn this at all

and if your stone is very very fine,it would probably lead to irritation only
Cool thanks.

Gonna try the jean thing right now.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #47
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 10-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #48

Quote:
Cool thanks.

Gonna try the jean thing right now.
i wouldnt get your hopes up
Old 10-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgroucho View Post
I normally shave with a DE razor, I have close to three dozen. talk about RAD. (I also have enough blades to last for the the nest 25 years .)

I also have a Japanese style Feather that takes disposable blades. I use it when I have a few extra minutes or am going somewhere important.

As for cutting off my head, the learning curve isn't as steep as most think.

I recommend a good brush/blade/cream for anyone that that can't get a good shave or breaks out. I could never get a clean shave with multi-blade razors, but I never break out with the old style stuff.
you sound like me....RAD is very very strong......

What is your DE set up?

i use an older gillette adjustable right now since i am in the dorms (will change soon)

i used to rock a gillett fatboy...until i found something better

ditto to the break outs, i get less when i shave more often with the soap and brush.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #50
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: First Responder, Primary Care Paramedic, Advanced EMT
Name: Andrew
futuretacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
I want to so bad, but can't find any around here.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretacoowner View Post
Where have you looked for razors at?
Where are you located in Canada?
Old 10-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #52
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: First Responder, Primary Care Paramedic, Advanced EMT
Name: Andrew
futuretacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where have you looked for razors at?
Where are you located in Canada?
I looked at a few blade and hairdresser shops (weird combo I can get an 8'' santoku knife and a blowdryer at the same boutique store. I am in New Brunswick, I really have been floating around the province alot.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #53

Well, I just got done trying the jean method and I gotta say, i'm sold. I used it on an old razor thats been sitting in my drawer for many months (Schick Hydro 5). The razor glides accross my face almost as smooth as a fresh razor, no tugging or pulling. I even shaved against the grain with no problem, no nicks, cuts, irritation or burning afterwards. And I was well do for a shave (was going on 5 days w/o one).

I suggest giving it a try, it's so easy to do and if it doesn't work for you, just grab a fresh razor and continue shaving.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #54

Quote:
I looked at a few blade and hairdresser shops (weird combo I can get an 8'' santoku knife and a blowdryer at the same boutique store. I am in New Brunswick, I really have been floating around the province alot.
look in antique shops, thats where i have found all mine

flea markets work well too, i have seen a lot, just havent bought any......yet

just do a bit of research first so that you know what brands are good and what brands to avoid
Old 10-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #55

Quote:
Well, I just got done trying the jean method and I gotta say, i'm sold. I used it on an old razor thats been sitting in my drawer for many months (Schick Hydro 5). The razor glides accross my face almost as smooth as a fresh razor, no tugging or pulling. I even shaved against the grain with no problem, no nicks, cuts, irritation or burning afterwards. And I was well do for a shave (was going on 5 days w/o one).

I suggest giving it a try, it's so easy to do and if it doesn't work for you, just grab a fresh razor and continue shaving.
cool that it worked, but if the tips of the blades ever roll inward you may not be able to do that again, you are essentially stropping them, but you are only stropping one side of the blade. I may actually try this, event though i dont multi blades, just because i am curious now....
Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #56
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
i rarely am clean shaven. just kind of rock the tom cruise scruffy look. about twice a week ill use my pube trim. . ah . . i mean electric razor extension arm to knock it down, but shaving's just a hassle and gives me razor burn.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #57
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Total for getting started if you look hard enough, could easily be under 100 (correct me if i'm wrong)

you may want to have a razor found at an antique shop professionally honed though, i need to have mine done

if you want help with learning etc... check out this place
http://straightrazorplace.com/forum.php

i plan on shaving with my dorm room door open to see who i can get to do a double take when i get my razors here
I shaved in the Rig Camps and actually I didn't get too many double takes at all. But it's gang showers so generally people keep to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster1106 View Post
could you recommend a good starter razor?
You can find Dovo Razors on Ebay. They'll start around $100, but they'll be shave ready right out of the tin/box and they are quality. Don't buy the most expensive brush you can find, I got a Vie-long Horse hair brush and it works very very well for me. It was only $15-20, Proraso shaving soap (Really nice stuff, will wake you up better than coffee, Super refreshing.) $10. And that's all you really need. Strop buy a new one from here that will do just perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
any good websites for good deals on straight blade kits?

I use Gillette hydro's 3 blades, they are pretty cheap. And one razor lasts me about 3 months. My skin isn't very sensitive so a dull razor doesn't bother me at all.
http://www.whippeddog.com/

or www.theartofshaving.com

Just remember, if you're straight shaving or Double edge shaving you're doing it to enjoy the act of shaving. It isn't something to be rushed. It's to take 10-30 minutes out of your day for yourself. Attempting to pound out a shave 5 minutes before work will make it looked like you attempted oral sex with a pair of windup chatter teeth to a badger.

Also, Alumblocks are worth their weight in gold. However Crystal deoderant is the exact same thing and sells for the same or less. And you can find it in pretty much any grocery store. Eliminates pretty much all razor burn (It till burn a little when you first put it on, but that's what it does.) and it helps close up any little nicks you have when shaving.

After I straight shave, my face literally feels as soft as my wife's. (Which she loves.)

Quote:
cool that it worked, but if the tips of the blades ever roll inward you may not be able to do that again, you are essentially stropping them, but you are only stropping one side of the blade. I may actually try this, event though i dont multi blades, just because i am curious now....
It works.

Quote:
I live in Canada. Lies lies lies. You just have to know where to look.

Calgary based store. I'm not fond of the straights he carries personally, but the rest of his stuff is quality. (Not to say his razors aren't quality because they are; they're just not my style.)
Old 10-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #58
jrgroucho is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
jrgroucho's Tacoma Gallery
Right now, I'm mostly using a 1951 Gillette Black tip SS. I have a Fatboy, but rarely use it; I never got a great shave out of it. I should try it again, as it's been a few years.

I agree with Krazie, take the time and enjoy your shave. As someone who didn't know how to shave and always ended up with a bloddy mess, I can say that DE and single blade razors made me enjoy shaving.

And believe me, girls love the result. They also think using those all metal razors is pretty manly.

Quote:
you sound like me....RAD is very very strong......

What is your DE set up?

i use an older gillette adjustable right now since i am in the dorms (will change soon)

i used to rock a gillett fatboy...until i found something better

ditto to the break outs, i get less when i shave more often with the soap and brush.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #59
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's all about the Razor Acquisition Disorder.
I've actually cut myself off from getting anymore right now, cause I went on a bit of a spree. I also got a Norton 4K/8K honing stone and I brought one razor back from destruction very nicely. (My Hugo Koller, couldn't cut skin before, now it passes the HHT effortlessly.)

Quote:
Right now, I'm mostly using a 1951 Gillette Black tip SS. I have a Fatboy, but rarely use it; I never got a great shave out of it. I should try it again, as it's been a few years.

I agree with Krazie, take the time and enjoy your shave. As someone who didn't know how to shave and always ended up with a bloddy mess, I can say that DE and single blade razors made me enjoy shaving.

And believe me, girls love the result. They also think using those all metal razors is pretty manly.
Really? I got a wicked shave from my fatboy. My face is pretty forgiving with regards to shaving. Only place I have issues is my jaw line...and only on the right hand side...and only when using my straight razors. So it's obviously a technique issue. I can have my Fatboy dialed open to the max and it's good to go. I was looking at this bad boy though.

Merkur Satin.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #60
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnym View Post
i agree with everyone that the price of disposable razors is insane but trying to sharpen blades on jeans is not going to work
this guy might think it works but believe me (i work at Gillette) it doesn't.

my advise if you don't want to pay the high prices is learn to shave with a straight blade its cheaper .
I agree. I use titanium blades now.

The carbon steel blade isn't really getting dull, it's rusting. The jeans trick is trying to mimic stropping, but denim isn't the proper material to do that with.

A box of 4 lasts me a year. I'm good with that.