Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Shaving with straight razors

Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #101
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
It's not as bad as you'd think. Watch some YouTube vids on it to get a feel for it and buy a Dovo straight razor that uses DE blades. It's a cheap way to start, and you can learn the process without worrying about stripping or honing.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #102
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Not gonna lie, not sure I would have the balls to use a straight razor. I give you guys credit. I shave my head too, and would definitely be nervous with that.
ya...i wouldn't think about shaving my head...If I can't see it, there is no way in hell that I am gonna put a straight razor on my skin.....

but ut really isn't that hard, yes, there is a learning curve, but it isnt as hard as a lot of other things. I mean even a 12 year old girl can do it....

So easy a 12 year old girl can do it

I find it theraputic (in a sense) when I shave, it is calming to me and lets me get my mind off school...and I am really starting to want to shave again...I'm thinking that this is coming off with the frame back razor I just posted within a couple of days...

and crap, my eye is looking weird...man, thinking back, that was a rough day...
Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #103
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
I know it's an old thread but I've been really wanting to get a straight razor. I read through the entire thread and on several of the straight razor forums. I went the other day to a few antique shops looking for a vintage straight razor, but the only one I found was a Geneva Cutlery one which was rusted to hell, had a terrible edge, and just looked beyond repair. It looked like it had spent the last 5 decades in a very humid barn. I have decided I will buy a new one. I want a Dovo, but nothing fancy. I've found some plain jane Dovo's for around $80 (http://www.salonsupplystore.com/dovo...c252517bbe8761). I also came across a kit that includes a plain Dovo straight razor, badger brush, soap, strop paste, and a stand (http://www.royalshave.com/p/407-070/...beginners.html ).

What I have read is that when you get a razor, it will be sharp, but not shaving spec. It's recommended to have it honed. Well there is nowhere around here that I know of which sharpens blades (I have looked). So I was also wondering what would be a good sharpening/honing stone to add to this? Does this kit seem like a good buy? Also, is there anything else that I would need in addition to this kit?

I at first was thinking about buying a Dovo shavette to get used to it and start out, but I just felt like it would be better to just not waste money and go for the real deal. I want to try straight razor shaving because I have ridiculously sensitive skin and a very thick beard, with even each follicle being very "thick" itself. I break out/razor burn on my neck every time I try to shave. That is also in part because the hair on my neck grow in big "swirls" on both sides of my Adam's apple. Now I pretty much just always grow a beard, sometimes goatee, but just trim it up on my cheeks and neck as close as I can with some electric clippers. I'm not really nervous about cutting myself with the actual razor (I know I'll mess up and nick myself some, regardless of how slow I go), but am more concerned with sharpening the blade. Like mentioned before, idk what grit stone to get and I was wondering how often you actually have to hone it? I know you are supposed to strop every time you shave. I probably will still grow a beard or goatee and just clean it up with the straight razor; so it won't be like a full blown use of the blade every time.

Sorry for the long post, just a newb.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #104
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
tacosupreme54, my advice to you would be to try an old school double edged razor and some quality oil, shaving creams and aftershaves before jumping to a straight razor. Since you said you have very sensitive skin, you should know that shaving with a straight razor takes a lot of getting used to and you could end up with worse razor burn to start with. Personally, I never really got good with a straight but I absolutely love my DE razor. I got a Merkur 34C I believe and bought a second with an open comb for my neck. I use The Art of Shaving pre-shave oils, Jack Black shaving cream and Armani aftershave. Always shave after you get out of the shower or in the shower. Take your time, you should shave with the grain first, then across the grain, then against the grain and finish off with cold water (and an alum block if you knick yourself).

If you do end up wanting to go with a straight, but want an older one, let me know. I have an old straight that's a full hollow shape and is a French blade (I can't remember exactly what it is). I bought it on Straight Razor Place, the seller honed it and it was shave ready when I got it. I literally used it once, stropped it and it's been in my closet ever since. I ended up buying a wedge that I like better
Old 07-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #105
Whiskey Neat is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Mechanic - of sorts
Name: James
Whiskey Neat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
I know it's an old thread but I've been really wanting to get a straight razor. I read through the entire thread and on several of the straight razor forums. I went the other day to a few antique shops looking for a vintage straight razor, but the only one I found was a Geneva Cutlery one which was rusted to hell, had a terrible edge, and just looked beyond repair. It looked like it had spent the last 5 decades in a very humid barn. I have decided I will buy a new one. I want a Dovo, but nothing fancy. I've found some plain jane Dovo's for around $80 (http://www.salonsupplystore.com/dovo...c252517bbe8761). I also came across a kit that includes a plain Dovo straight razor, badger brush, soap, strop paste, and a stand (http://www.royalshave.com/p/407-070/...beginners.html ).

What I have read is that when you get a razor, it will be sharp, but not shaving spec. It's recommended to have it honed. Well there is nowhere around here that I know of which sharpens blades (I have looked). So I was also wondering what would be a good sharpening/honing stone to add to this? Does this kit seem like a good buy? Also, is there anything else that I would need in addition to this kit?

I at first was thinking about buying a Dovo shavette to get used to it and start out, but I just felt like it would be better to just not waste money and go for the real deal. I want to try straight razor shaving because I have ridiculously sensitive skin and a very thick beard, with even each follicle being very "thick" itself. I break out/razor burn on my neck every time I try to shave. That is also in part because the hair on my neck grow in big "swirls" on both sides of my Adam's apple. Now I pretty much just always grow a beard, sometimes goatee, but just trim it up on my cheeks and neck as close as I can with some electric clippers. I'm not really nervous about cutting myself with the actual razor (I know I'll mess up and nick myself some, regardless of how slow I go), but am more concerned with sharpening the blade. Like mentioned before, idk what grit stone to get and I was wondering how often you actually have to hone it? I know you are supposed to strop every time you shave. I probably will still grow a beard or goatee and just clean it up with the straight razor; so it won't be like a full blown use of the blade every time.

Sorry for the long post, just a newb.
I'll build a slightly better setup for you that will be a bit pricier, but will be better for your sensitive skin.

Razor: http://www.royalshave.com/p/405-001/..._black_58.html ($80) Pretty tough to beat that price. Only other way to do so, would be to find a vintage razor on Ebay.

Brush: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...550/422194.htm ($55) Amazing quality brush for cheap. I've used one almost daily for 9 years and it is only now starting to shed some hair.

Strop: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...44/7891209.htm ($50) two strops in one, and it's higher quality leather.

Soap: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...60/1165231.htm ($15) This is the best shave cream I've ever used. My favorite scents are Lime, Rose, Avocado, and St James. The grapefruit one seems intriguing too. They also make a "sensitive skin" version you might want to look at. Don't use a bowl to build a lather, use your face, feels great and helps pick the hair up for a better shave.

Brush Stand: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...550/422835.htm ($9) pretty self explanatory.

Total for this much upgraded package is $209. Only $29 more than what you are looking at for that "beginners kit"

I would also recommend an aftershave. I love this one: http://usa.loccitane.com/l'occitan-a...434,263368.htm ($30)

If you are hard set on a straight razor, go for it. If you are on the fence, go with a safety razor to start. I made the transition from straight to safety because it takes so much time to hone and strop the straights Then to actually shave takes me extra time because I don't like cutting my face, which happens when I rush. I still cut myself with a safety razor, just not as much.

Something else to consider, you will have to hone your straight razor every few weeks or so if you are shaving regularly. If not, you might be able to extend out the interval to a month or two. It's really based on feel. And honing is not a simple or easy process and requires an investment in multiple honing stones. This one: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...944/196094.htm and this one: http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...44/5202698.htm will get you well on your way.

Use the classic shaving website as much as possible, they are great people to work with, have been around for a long time, and are far less commercialized than the AoS. Oh, and their prices are awesome.

If you have more questions, post them up here and someone will answer them.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #106
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Figured I'd share these pics .
My grandfather passed away about 5 years ago and my dad and i are cleaning his house out so he can sell it . We came across a old cigar box with these straight razors .

Original paper work in German

Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #107
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Damn John, nice find
Old 07-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #108
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnym View Post
Figured I'd share these pics .
My grandfather passed away about 5 years ago and my dad and i are cleaning his house out so he can sell it . We came across a old cigar box with these straight razors .
Dude, that's awesome!! I wonder how old they are!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #109
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

that dovo looks great, the green scaled one that you have wold probably benefit from a coat of mineral oil to help stop the rust....actually all of them would couple probably use a light coat of oil.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #110
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenwick1993 View Post
Dude, that's awesome!! I wonder how old they are!
No clue . Grand parents lived in that house for around 70years though . They were in the basement in a filing cabinet .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Damn John, nice find
Ya my old man took one look and said ill never use those you take them . Ok don't have to tell me twice
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
that dovo looks great, the green scaled one that you have wold probably benefit from a coat of mineral oil to help stop the rust....actually all of them would couple probably use a light coat of oil.
Ya I going to try and clean them up . And start reading up on how to use them . Either that or just add them to my collection of old razors .
Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #111
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The one with the rust on it....

Keep it away from the other blades. Rusting where the blade was in close contact with the scales is a sign of cel rot, which happens when celluloid scales offgas corrosive materials that attack the blade.

If the edge is salvageable, then the corrosion can be cleaned up and the blade mounted into a new set of scales.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #112
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
No clue . Grand parents lived in that house for around 70years though . They were in the basement in a filing cabinet .

Ya my old man took one look and said ill never use those you take them . Ok don't have to tell me twice

Ya I going to try and clean them up . And start reading up on how to use them . Either that or just add them to my collection of old razors .
http://www.badgerandblade.com

Some of these guys will shave with anything....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwTFYE_FELk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B1y3Fr8FVQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVHjxRwr_Yk
Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #113
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #114
BioWheelin is on a distinguished road

BioWheelin's Tacoma Gallery
Holy crap... I won't be letting even a damascus blade shave my head. If I can't see it in the mirror I'd likely chop half my skull off.

The only time I've experienced a straight razor is a few weeks ago when I asked for a 'buzz' at a local barbershop and got more than I bargained for. Didn't even realize it was happening until the lady had the back of my head in lather, whipped out a razor and had at it... Deer in the headlights you might say. lol

When I have a bit of extra cash I'll come back to this thread and get myself some quality gear. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #115

I've done quite a few headshaves with the straight, but it's tough getting in above my ears, so I normally use the Fusion on my head.
I reserve the straight headshaves for Sunday night after my Friday off when I haven't shaved since Wednesday night. The Fusion clogs too much with that much growth, so I mow down the bulk of it with the Wacker and clean up around my ears with the Fusion.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #116

I will recommend straightrazorplace.com over badger and blade, badger and blade seemed to be more focused on safety razor when I was on there, there are plenty of vendors on both sites that can hone or rescale those straight razors for you. For a reasonable price too, I recommend mainaman on SRP, I've had some work done by him and have been very pleased...I'll post pics when I can
Old 07-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #117

Here they are

I will post a wade and butcher he did for me when I get off work

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
here are two that I had restored by Mainaman on straight razor place. (I got lucky and he is close enough to me that I could drop off my razors to him in person)

unknown brand, etching on the blade says clear cut deluxe. the mother of pearl tang has a maker on there, but I cannot make it out because of the mother of pearl, one of these days I will figure it out. this was restored with real horn scales, I told him I wanted horn and he came up with these, I love the lighter silver colored streak near the tang. I brought another set of scales to him to copy off of.

this one is a frame back that he restored for me. It turned out great. you know how a lot of razor shaves good and very rarely, you get one that shaves amazingly? this is one of those. He actually agreed with me on that fact.