Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Shaving with straight razors

Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Shaving with straight razors

I shave with and collect straight razors as a hobby.
does anyone else?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Hookit on fonix rilly fer mee
Bushmaster is just really niceBushmaster is just really niceBushmaster is just really niceBushmaster is just really niceBushmaster is just really nice

Bushmaster's Tacoma Gallery
no, but i do shave with the old style safety razors , the things built like a tank and refill blades are dirt cheap,but i do have some srtight blades floating around here somewhere
Old 05-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
i have to use electric b/c of the occasional acne
Old 05-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #5
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
I use the shaving soap with a safety razor... got myself a nice merkur.

A lot cheaper than the mach 5s, etc... and as long as I shave right after a shower it isn't painful.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
cabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Andy
cabarbhab's Tacoma Gallery
A few months ago I got a safety razor, brush and soap. I use the safety razor from time to time. I usually use a mach 3 razor. I use the brush and soap and actually perfer to shaving cream. I learned a pretty neat trick about a month back. You can actually sharpen a disposable razor on a pair of blue jeans. It actually works pretty good. I have been using the same throw away blade for 6 weeks now.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
cabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shedcabarbhab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Andy
cabarbhab's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Kxiom83Js
Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Trooper
Name: Blake
2010nctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Cool idea about the jeans. Gotta try that.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
rjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Riley
rjclemen's Tacoma Gallery
I saw a "How it's Made" episode on straight razors. Seem like a great idea and you can save a good bit of cash in the long run.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
I got a shave by at a german barber shop by a lady that used a straight edge... i was fascinted and have been doing it ever since.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
I shave with and collect straight razors as a hobby.
does anyone else?
modern razor here.

i don't ride my horse to work either.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
The price of disposable razor blades always amazes me. Ever since going to a barber shop that uses straight razors, I've been wanting to get either a straight razor or a safety razor to try out.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I do not have the skill required to be able to shave with a straight razor. In fact I used to cut myself so often with a Mach III razor that I switched to an electric shaver. I'm quite sure using a straight blade would require a trip to the hospital thereafter for me...
Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #14
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabarbhab View Post
i agree with everyone that the price of disposable razors is insane but trying to sharpen blades on jeans is not going to work
this guy might think it works but believe me (i work at Gillette) it doesn't.

my advise if you don't want to pay the high prices is learn to shave with a straight blade its cheaper .
Old 05-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #15
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I'm working my way there. I got a shaving kit with a brush and "real" cream. The straight razor thing- I'm working my way up to that.

I've already noticed a significant improvement in my skin with the "right" shaving gear.

The Art of Shaving is a good store/website to check out.
That is one of the best stores out there
if you need help with it, check out Straightrazorplace.com
Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808matt View Post
i have to use electric b/c of the occasional acne
I had bad acne, the brush and soap used in wet shaving helps, might want to try that
Old 05-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjclemen View Post
I saw a "How it's Made" episode on straight razors. Seem like a great idea and you can save a good bit of cash in the long run.
hahaha

if you can resist RAD (razor acquisition disorder) and not buy more than one or two razors (2 is a good number).

i unfortunately cannot resist (i have 13, and am constantly looking for more) so it isn't cheeper
Old 05-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjclemen View Post
hahaha

if you can resist RAD (razor acquisition disorder) and not buy more than one or two razors (2 is a good number).

i unfortunately cannot resist (i have 13, and am constantly looking for more) so it isn't cheeper

but it does give a better shave
Old 05-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #19
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't shave anymore.I save so much money a year. I just shave my neck. I'm not sure why razors are so overpriced.is it cuz they know we need them?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #20
Byte Me
JFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JFKLives's Tacoma Gallery
I've really been wanting to switch over to a straight edge for beard carving, which is a pain with my Gillette. I manage it quite well and everyone seems to appreciate my work. Only problem with me switching is I don't know anyone outside of my grandpa that uses a straight edge so I gave up on the idea thinking there was a simple point that I was missing. Perhaps I'll revisit the idea.