Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

What do you recommend for my first Mountain Bike?

Old 05-15-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
MRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to behold

Name: Marco
MRW's Tacoma Gallery
What do you recommend for my first Mountain Bike?

I really want to get into a new hobby and ive decided it's going to be mountain biking. I have had a few bikes growing up, but these were just typical ones you can buy at cosco.

I'm looking for some advice in a good quality bike that would be good for me and because I feel like a total n00b I'm any tips would be helpful! price range would hopefully be aroun 300 if thats possible.

I have an OCD with things I buy and I would love if it matched the taco in color silver/black haha
Old 05-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
you can go to a bike shop and rent a mtn bike here. id see if you can do that there as well.itll give you a good idea on what youd like. bike shops will generally let you test a new bike also but its usually just around the parkin lot etc so it doesnt give ya a real good idea on how youd like it. they are a good place to start because of their knowledge once you have an idea what youd like try and find a decent used one. you night have to pay more than 300 bucks unless someone just wants to get rid of one that is takin up space. good luck to ya
Old 05-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
You get what you pay for. I'd highly recommend Norco
Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
huffy!
this

once you snap the frame in half, it's time for an upgrade.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Andrew
2KTacoPr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
well what type of riding are you looking to do? cross country, dirt jumping, downhill, street? this will narrow down to quite a few bikes
Old 05-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRWorks View Post
I really want to get into a new hobby and ive decided it's going to be mountain biking. I have had a few bikes growing up, but these were just typical ones you can buy at cosco.

I'm looking for some advice in a good quality bike that would be good for me and because I feel like a total n00b I'm any tips would be helpful! price range would hopefully be aroun 300 if thats possible.

I have an OCD with things I buy and I would love if it matched the taco in color silver/black haha
Maybe get a well used bike for $300. I bought a budget trek 6700 for a $1000 new a few years ago and it doesn't compare to most of the bikes these guys have.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
mountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainprimat2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stefan
mountainprimat2's Tacoma Gallery
It really depends on what type of riding you are looking to do and what trails and environment is around you so you can go enjoy. Price range is a little low for a new bike as you get what you pay for. Maybe a used bike is more in your market especially if this is a new hobby. Specialized, Transition, Giant, Kona.....would me my picks, each company seems to know what they are doing and have been for a while. Check out the buy/sell market on pinkbike.com and do some research as to what you really want to saddle up. Happy trails....
Old 05-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
MRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to behold

Name: Marco
MRW's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input guys! Yeah i am probably going to pick up a used bike of craigslist, I just don't feel comfortable knowing if there is a realy problem with the bike even when its in front of me.

I will primarily be going on trails in my near by parks and camp grounds, nothing too extreme.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed2KTacoPr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Andrew
2KTacoPr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
so more xc and just recreational riding. i would check out trek. they make a good selection of bikes that will fit what youre looking for.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
PudgiesinWaverly is on a distinguished road
Name: Pudge
PudgiesinWaverly's Tacoma Gallery
You can't go wrong with a trek 4500 or greater on craigslist for a mountain bike. Depending on the trail terrain you may be interested in a cyclocross bike that with a quick wheel swap is a road bike, check out the Kona Jake and Jake the Snake.

My personal ride is a Redline Mono9 29er Steelframe with a Fox fork upgraded from a rigid fork. Personally loved the rigid fork but I got too aggressive and consistently chose a bad line, blew tires and bent rims. tons of fun on the most tame trails with no roots or rocks though, hard to those trails in NNJ.

I also have a Gary Fisher Erwin Cyclocross bike (steel frame) that I use on flat trails and road, although I wish I got the Salsa Fargo, it can take MTB wheels and tike a slightly more aggresive trail (loose rock, gravel)