Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

The **Official** MMA/self defense and fighting thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #42
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
What's to be remembered is that we are all human and have the same weapons/techniques what matters is the application. If you intend to do harm you can and will if you exercise restraint everyone can walk away. You have the ability to control situations with the amount of awareness you possess. By listening to that little voice or feeling you can keep yourself relatively safe without needed much action.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #43
dan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dan0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I have taught Aiki Jujutsu for almost 18yrs.
You started teaching at 10?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #44
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
My apologies, hopefully my martial arts skills are better than my math skills. I started the arts at age 8 a month prior to being 9, achieved a black belt by 13, I was learning and instructing from that time forward almost 16yrs. At age 17 myself and another student continued the school while our instructor opened a school a few towns away and left us with his. Shortly after I graduated HS life slapped me in the face, I had to have a real job. I still to this day teach at that school whenever work allows.

When we test for belts our test times depend on what rank you are going for. You do moves from the first list to the last, my Black belt test was 5 hrs long and I was the only student testing, 3 sets of each technique per side 2 water breaks. Before it is all over you must spar with all instructors present, their job is to beat you up, you won't win these fights but you can't quit.

Although I teach Aiki Jujutsu we also dabble in other arts, to enable our students to be able to defend themselves in todays world.

Thank you for catching that mistake, I will correct it in my original post. Much appreciated Dan0.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #45
dan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dan0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
My apologies, hopefully my martial arts skills are better than my math skills.
>>Snip
Thank you for catching that mistake, I will correct it in my original post. Much appreciated Dan0.
no problem
I posed the original question to see if anyone could give me an opinion on what my daughter is studying.

her background
1. started shotokan karate at age 7 nine months later (age8) wins SC Open championship in her division, repeat the win at age 9.
Finishes 3rd place at the 2007 USANKF NATIONALS.
Earns Blue Belt (4th kyu) in shotokan but is getting bored.

2. Switches to only other dojo in town (sogo goshin do) which is more of a mixed martial art. First time the instructor has her throw someone down she's hooked.
Earns her black belt at the age of 12, she's now 13 a sensi and helps instruct some of the younger students.

The economy has kept dad from getting her to any tournaments lately.
Since I have no background or clue about this stuff If anyone could look at the links I posted earlier and let me know what you think I'd appreciate it.
thanks
Old 06-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #46
Poodoo

luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I've looked through your links. The art seems for good reason very similar to JuJutsu. The reason being it comes Japan. I honestly can't give you any insight to the art. If you and your daughter are happy then run with it. Its good and healthy exercise and give people confidence that most are lacking. I wish I could help you more.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #47
dan0's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for your input
as long as she's happy I'm happy
Old 09-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #48
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I'll bump this thread.

Mirko "CroCop" Filipovic, supposed to fight Roy Nelson on Oct. 29th in UFC 137. He hasn't done so great in the UFC but still a bad, bad man. Might be his last fight so I hope he goes out on a high note.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IdVw...eature=related
Old 09-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #49
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
My friend was training in Muay Tai and BJJ at RTC (Rage in The Cage) Training Facility in Tempe AZ...he loved it. Business got slow and they had to change their hours so he stopped going....there's a Lions Den in Scottsdale too. Edwin Dewees and Joe "Diesel" Riggs fight outta there...They come to the Local Buffalo Wild Wings quite often to give away free swag and hang out...cool guys for sure
Old 09-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #50
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Matt Hughes was my favorite fighter to watch....I wrestled in high school and loved his style...

Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #51
Orome and Huan is on a distinguished road

Orome and Huan's Tacoma Gallery
anyone interested in serious self defence should give Wing Chun a look. it is very simple strait forward and easy to become dangerous in a year or two. if you check it out look for ones that have a sifu teaching not he's assistant or students. also make sure they have regulaer sparring time not just paired drills. also the weapons and dummy forms are very usefull
Old 01-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #52
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone watching UFC on Fox 2?

Chael's press conference cracks me up. Davis is actually pretty funny too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QihLEO4yiw
Old 02-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #53
Dwill817 is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
Dwill817's Tacoma Gallery
This thread has kinda died out and I figured I would bring it back to life.. There has been some intereseting conversation in the first two pages.

Last February I began training with a guy who goes to church with me. He is in his early forties now and learnt several different martial arts growing up as a kid. His father was murdered when he was 11 and he started to hang out in Chinatown in Atlanta and actually worked at a dojo and he would watch them train and practice what they did by himself and would show the intructor for approval.. He learn several martial arts after that and practiced judo and actually sumo wrestling (its incredibly hard)...Anyways we've been doing basically pure grappling. Its catch wrestling, a form of combat wrestling.. Its pretty much a rough BJJ.. Here recently we began to work in some striking and pretty much pure self defence... Things such as wrist locks and various ways to pretty much immoblize someone without killing them.. I love my sport and am passionate about it.. Its yet to save my butt, but it is pretty cool for someone to grab you at school and you have them in a pretzel a half second later.. lol
Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 AM   #54
AZconquistador is on a distinguished road

Name: salvador
AZconquistador's Tacoma Gallery
Ima fight within a few months
Been doin Bjj for 4 years
mma for 2
Muay Thai a year

Word
Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #55
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
Bump!!

I've already gloated tons about Silva getting KO'ed in the actual "Silva KO'ed" thread
But, wanna keep talking MMA in general; there's gotta be more MMA fans in here... ?

My favs are Fedor, Bas Rutten, Masakazu Imanari, Hellboy Hansen, Cro Cop, Jones, blah blah
Old 08-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #56
Just a man and his truck
FLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant futureFLtaco24 has a brilliant future

Navy: GSM
Name: JJ
FLtaco24's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone currently with an MMA camp?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #57
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
condit ftw! and kalvin looked good too. cant wait for saturday GO PETTIS!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:26 PM   #58
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
Am I the only one excited for Rousey vs. McMann!?
Olympic Judo Bronze Medalist vs. Olympic Wrestling Silver Medalist
Both undefeated in MMA

I personally am not very into women's MMA... but, for crying out loud
^^ that stuff up there is pretty cool
Doesn't seem like this fight is getting too much attention
Old 02-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #59
Zombie Killer
surferkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurferkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurferkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurferkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurferkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurferkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurferkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurferkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurferkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurferkid is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurferkid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT
surferkid's Tacoma Gallery
the ambulance company i work for contracts with a mma fight promoter so im a medic on standby at a lot of events its pretty intense
Old 02-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #60
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
studied martial arts for the past 15 years
started with kickboxing/Karate then moved into something like MMA before it got huge

had to stop when repeatedly getting punched in the eye gave me cataracts

good times