Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

The **Official** MMA/self defense and fighting thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
The **Official** MMA/self defense and fighting thread

So I've always been interested in MMA and fighting, just figured I'd start a thread to discuss this sport and let this be a forum for us to answer and ask any questions.

My first question is: How do I pick a MMA/fighting gym? What things should I look for? I've been through some training but very basic stuff and I've been trying to teach myself through books and following drills. I want to get a little more advanced though.

This is not for flasy show karate, this is for fighting, real life event self defense and the like.

Discuss.

EDIT: You may discuss UFC in here!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I've been studying Muay Thai for a couple years now, and plan on taking BJJ classes soon. I just recently got tickets for StrikeForce in Houston .
Old 05-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
I want to study Muay Thai as well. I really enjoy kicking lol. That would be more for fitness for me and then Krav Maga for the fighting and self defense side.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
ffblaze911 will become famous soon enoughffblaze911 will become famous soon enough

Firefighter: Engineer
Name: Matt
ffblaze911's Tacoma Gallery
I use kapap its a israeli self defense fighting like Krav Maga but Kapap is uned in spical forces.

http://www.kapapacademycolorado.com/...do___Home.html
Old 05-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
Krav Maga has saved me twice, love it.

Will never stop taking it.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #6

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter500ky View Post

Now that shit is what I like to hear!!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
Now that shit is what I like to hear!!

One time was my fault I put myself in the situation the other time two guys thought they were going to act tough.

Both times thankful....
Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #9
dan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dan0's Tacoma Gallery
and if you like MMA girls
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gre...ml#post3231260
Old 05-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
ERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
ERIC's Tacoma Gallery
1. I would look around at local places. They are all over the place. Right now im a member at LA boxing. But recently i became a black belt at a taekwondo studio. If you want to become better classes are a must. You can only learn so much by yourself.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #11

Law Enforcement:
Whats the easiest way to train for back kicks? I feel like my form is wrong and my support leg is too bent...
Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #13

Law Enforcement:
I looked up vids for the slap kick (kicking with the inside/outside of the foot) but not the back kicks.

What are your drills that you do for conditioning and strength when you aren't training in your skill?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #14
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Check out Bas Ruttens videos on leg kicks, I could never through a decent leg kick until I used his technique. My buddie has been doing jui jitsu for years now and wants me to come to a class, in the winter I will start.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
i study at a karate school, that is also an mma school, they teach karate in a style that helps with a alot of self defense, you may want to loom at that
Old 06-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #17
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter500ky View Post

ya, krav maga is awesome. i did it for a year at the west LA location. i just dont know it its still worth $130 a month.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
Quad D will become famous soon enough
Army: 4ID 1BCT, CET/PSD 2tours
Name: Quad
Quad D's Tacoma Gallery
Good style of martial art doesn't equal good teacher! IMO, look for a "boring" class that focuses more on form and repetition than on flashy "everyone boxes everyday" classes. You can have fun for free with buddies, you are paying to learn to do something right! If not Jiu jitsu, than something from a kick boxing stance and mixed styles is what I would suggest. Just be sure to keep your goals in mind and train for that. Most classes I've taken I could pick the instructors brain before/after class for much more instruction and detail and essentially free training. If you show a serious interest they'll work with you more. IME.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #19

Law Enforcement:
I'm looking for something that goes hand in hand with self defense and street survival being as I am about to attend a police academy and my goal is to be a police officer. Thats why I am leaning towards Krav Maga, not the flashy stuff done for sport.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMonkey View Post
ya, krav maga is awesome. i did it for a year at the west LA location. i just dont know it its still worth $130 a month.

Thats a little steep, i pay 90 a month for mon-fri