1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

kayaking

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by ckeeton, May 27, 2011.

1. May 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    trd sport with avid off road light bar, avid rock sliders. OEM roof rack, 12' LED light bar, and Sock monkey decals.
    hey guys, i kayak every once in awhile i love it but have never owned one just borrowed them. i have been thinking lately on getting a sea kayak for myself, was wondering what would be the best type like brand and all?

my needs:
    just for rec use, non fishing
    single body
    like the sit on instead of sit in.
    since im in college im wanting something cheap, looking at used ones now.

but just dont know which brands to be looking at
    and will the ocean ones be fine in the lake?

2. May 27, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    judd94

judd94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    17 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Mods in Progress
    go to a couple local kayak shops and check out what they have. definitely inquire about a day when they have free trials. a store or brand will bring all their different kayaks out to the water for people to try. i know this is not what your lookin for but its a good place to start.
    Also, Craigslist is a great place to buy a slightly used kayak much cheaper than new.

3. May 27, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    trd sport with avid off road light bar, avid rock sliders. OEM roof rack, 12' LED light bar, and Sock monkey decals.
    it still helped, didnt think about them testing them out.
    i'll check prob app outfitters tomorrow

4. May 27, 2011 at 2:24 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    bumpity.
    anyone else?

5. May 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    3fitty

3fitty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lambone
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner
    Bilstein 5100 front, 5125 rear and Skyjacker AAL. Manaflow Catback exhaust. aFe Pro-Dry air filter.
    I just got into kayaking myself. I use it mostly for fishing but take the gear off and its a rec kayak :)

I have an Emotions Grand Slam yak that is 14.5 feet long sit on top. I haven't taken it out on the ocean but it does great in our "Back Bay". If you're going to take it out in the open sea/ocean then I wouldn't go with anything less than 13 feet. The longer the yak the better it tracks (goes straight without paddling to correct) but it will not be as manuverable as smaller yaks. Unless you get one with a rudder.

I've only been doing it for a few months but I've been doing a lot of research and reading. Youtube is a great source. Paddling.net also has some very good information.

6. May 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    awesome man thanks!
    do you know if the sea will be okay in a lake or river?
    plus most of my ocean riding will be through a river an into a small outlet not to much into open water.
    if you dont mind me asking how much was yours?

7. May 28, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    anyone else?

8. May 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM
    j83soldier

j83soldier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    man if you were talking whitewater I could talk for years but I have no knowledge on sea kayaks

9. May 29, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    i have tried white water kayaking and its not my thing.
    barely even like rafting in it haha

10. May 29, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
  11. May 29, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    fredfarmer

fredfarmer Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road AC
    I think it will be uncomfortable an not very fun to paddle. I have 5 yaks and use them for fishing and long paddles. The longer and more narrow you get, the easier it is to paddle. The shorter wider ones will not track well (stay straight when paddling). I recommend getting this one...

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...10051_196951_-1?N=581132415&Ntt=kayak&Ntk=All

I know you don't want to use it for fishing, but this has the same hull as the WS Tarpon and will do well on longer paddles and the seat is pretty good. You can also pick up a paddle @ Academy for about $70, but remember, you will probably also need a life jacket depending on state laws. I would look into what all is required before buying one. I know here in tX, you have to have a life jacket, compass and a whistle. If you are near Dallas, I am selling two of mine. They are setup for fishing, but you really dont have to use the rod holders if you don't want to. Feel free to ask PM me or post more questions if you have them, but I will not be on here much until Tuesday.

Edit: I just saw that you are in SC, so not very close to me.

12. May 29, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray

i do like that kayak but only thing is its pretty costly for a college student haha. i was just trying to get something cheaper for the first one in college, and i cant really find used ones to well. not many around here.
    and yeah if you were closer i'd come check out yours but thats impossibly far for one.

Products Discussed in

To Top