Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

kayaking

Old 05-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
kayaking

hey guys, i kayak every once in awhile i love it but have never owned one just borrowed them. i have been thinking lately on getting a sea kayak for myself, was wondering what would be the best type like brand and all?

my needs:
just for rec use, non fishing
single body
like the sit on instead of sit in.
since im in college im wanting something cheap, looking at used ones now.

but just dont know which brands to be looking at
and will the ocean ones be fine in the lake?

thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
judd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant future
EMS:
judd94's Tacoma Gallery
go to a couple local kayak shops and check out what they have. definitely inquire about a day when they have free trials. a store or brand will bring all their different kayaks out to the water for people to try. i know this is not what your lookin for but its a good place to start.
Also, Craigslist is a great place to buy a slightly used kayak much cheaper than new.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd94 View Post
go to a couple local kayak shops and check out what they have. definitely inquire about a day when they have free trials. a store or brand will bring all their different kayaks out to the water for people to try. i know this is not what your lookin for but its a good place to start.
it still helped, didnt think about them testing them out.
i'll check prob app outfitters tomorrow
Old 05-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Bazinga

ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
bumpity.
anyone else?
Old 05-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
3fitty will become famous soon enough3fitty will become famous soon enough
Name: Lambone
3fitty's Tacoma Gallery
I just got into kayaking myself. I use it mostly for fishing but take the gear off and its a rec kayak

I have an Emotions Grand Slam yak that is 14.5 feet long sit on top. I haven't taken it out on the ocean but it does great in our "Back Bay". If you're going to take it out in the open sea/ocean then I wouldn't go with anything less than 13 feet. The longer the yak the better it tracks (goes straight without paddling to correct) but it will not be as manuverable as smaller yaks. Unless you get one with a rudder.

I've only been doing it for a few months but I've been doing a lot of research and reading. Youtube is a great source. Paddling.net also has some very good information.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Bazinga

ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fitty View Post
I just got into kayaking myself. I use it mostly for fishing but take the gear off and its a rec kayak

I have an Emotions Grand Slam yak that is 14.5 feet long sit on top. I haven't taken it out on the ocean but it does great in our "Back Bay". If you're going to take it out in the open sea/ocean then I wouldn't go with anything less than 13 feet. The longer the yak the better it tracks (goes straight without paddling to correct) but it will not be as manuverable as smaller yaks. Unless you get one with a rudder.

I've only been doing it for a few months but I've been doing a lot of research and reading. Youtube is a great source. Paddling.net also has some very good information.
awesome man thanks!
do you know if the sea will be okay in a lake or river?
plus most of my ocean riding will be through a river an into a small outlet not to much into open water.
if you dont mind me asking how much was yours?
Old 05-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Bazinga

ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
anyone else?
Old 05-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
j83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: joshua
j83soldier's Tacoma Gallery
man if you were talking whitewater I could talk for years but I have no knowledge on sea kayaks
Old 05-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Bazinga

ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
i have tried white water kayaking and its not my thing.
barely even like rafting in it haha
Old 05-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
Bazinga

ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family

what do yall think about this one for my first one?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
fredfarmer has a spectacular aura aboutfredfarmer has a spectacular aura about
fredfarmer's Tacoma Gallery
I think it will be uncomfortable an not very fun to paddle. I have 5 yaks and use them for fishing and long paddles. The longer and more narrow you get, the easier it is to paddle. The shorter wider ones will not track well (stay straight when paddling). I recommend getting this one...

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...=kayak&Ntk=All

I know you don't want to use it for fishing, but this has the same hull as the WS Tarpon and will do well on longer paddles and the seat is pretty good. You can also pick up a paddle @ Academy for about $70, but remember, you will probably also need a life jacket depending on state laws. I would look into what all is required before buying one. I know here in tX, you have to have a life jacket, compass and a whistle. If you are near Dallas, I am selling two of mine. They are setup for fishing, but you really dont have to use the rod holders if you don't want to. Feel free to ask PM me or post more questions if you have them, but I will not be on here much until Tuesday.

Edit: I just saw that you are in SC, so not very close to me.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
Bazinga

ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfarmer View Post
I think it will be uncomfortable an not very fun to paddle. I have 5 yaks and use them for fishing and long paddles. The longer and more narrow you get, the easier it is to paddle. The shorter wider ones will not track well (stay straight when paddling). I recommend getting this one...

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...=kayak&Ntk=All

I know you don't want to use it for fishing, but this has the same hull as the WS Tarpon and will do well on longer paddles and the seat is pretty good. You can also pick up a paddle @ Academy for about $70, but remember, you will probably also need a life jacket depending on state laws. I would look into what all is required before buying one. I know here in tX, you have to have a life jacket, compass and a whistle. If you are near Dallas, I am selling two of mine. They are setup for fishing, but you really dont have to use the rod holders if you don't want to. Feel free to ask PM me or post more questions if you have them, but I will not be on here much until Tuesday.

Edit: I just saw that you are in SC, so not very close to me.

i do like that kayak but only thing is its pretty costly for a college student haha. i was just trying to get something cheaper for the first one in college, and i cant really find used ones to well. not many around here.
and yeah if you were closer i'd come check out yours but thats impossibly far for one.