Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Toccoa Old Camp 506th P.I.R.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Toccoa Old Camp 506th P.I.R.

I had been driving by the exit for Toccoa Georgia off I85 north of Atlanta for years....and for years after reading Band of Brothers I had intended to go look for their training camp and Mount Currahee where they trained. I had seen old photographs of the camp, but today, sadly, it is gone except for a few memorial markers - pics below - of Colonel Sink (the dirt road adjacent to the camp is named after him..I am sure the troops ran up and down this road frequently! Great history in the making at this place. The barracks were removed years ago and it was turned into an industrial park...in the pictures you can see the de-construction of a Miliken textile chemical plant where the camp once stood....and I took a picture of the only remaining original cinder block building - was likely a vehicle maintenance depot. I "think" Mt Currahee is in the far background of one of the pics with a water tower on it. Those who read the book and watched the HBO series will know what I am referring to. Enjoy. There is history all around us.
Attached Thumbnails
Toccoa Old Camp 506th P.I.R.-img_0262.jpg   Toccoa Old Camp 506th P.I.R.-img_0265.jpg   Toccoa Old Camp 506th P.I.R.-img_0275.jpg   Toccoa Old Camp 506th P.I.R.-img_0267.jpg  
Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
I had been driving by the exit for Toccoa Georgia off I85 north of Atlanta for years....and for years after reading Band of Brothers I had intended to go look for their training camp and Mount Currahee where they trained. I had seen old photographs of the camp, but today, sadly, it is gone except for a few memorial markers - pics below - of Colonel Sink (the dirt road adjacent to the camp is named after him..I am sure the troops ran up and down this road frequently! Great history in the making at this place. The barracks were removed years ago and it was turned into an industrial park...in the pictures you can see the de-construction of a Miliken textile chemical plant where the camp once stood....and I took a picture of the only remaining original cinder block building - was likely a vehicle maintenance depot. I "think" Mt Currahee is in the far background of one of the pics with a water tower on it. Those who read the book and watched the HBO series will know what I am referring to. Enjoy. There is history all around us.
More pics from Toccoa Camp Currahee Memorial
Attached Thumbnails
Toccoa Old Camp 506th P.I.R.-img_0266.jpg   Toccoa Old Camp 506th P.I.R.-img_0268.jpg   Toccoa Old Camp 506th P.I.R.-img_0269.jpg   Toccoa Old Camp 506th P.I.R.-img_0271.jpg  
Old 06-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
used to date a girl from Toccoa but never been to that site

pretty cool
Old 06-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
I'll definately stop the next time I'm up that way. Thanks for the info and pictures.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Road going to top of Mount Currahee....about 2.5 miles....this is the road they ran in real life and in the movie......it's a pretty big mountain, I can see why they were puking....
Attached Thumbnails
Toccoa Old Camp 506th P.I.R.-img_0263.jpg   Toccoa Old Camp 506th P.I.R.-img_0272.jpg