Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

New Mountain Biker

Old 06-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
I got tiger blood.. WINNING
LBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
New Mountain Biker

Hey TW MB enthusiasts! I recently moved to CT and want to get into mountain biking. I am looking for a bike and I am wondering what you guys recommend. I am 5'10" 160lbs. I am looking for a hard tail and a buget of under or around $500.

I appreciate the input.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Check this thread out...Lots of great bikes!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/spo...tain-bike.html

I have a Gary Fisher Tassajara Hardtail...I think it's a 2007. It's great. I love it. Found it on Craigslist for $350. Hydraulic brakes, etc. It's the 19" frame. I'm about 6'
Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
WizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WizzyTRDTXPRO's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Wahoo it's a little higher priced than what you want. I just got back into bikes.

Look into the 2011 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Advance.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a picture of my Gary Fisher
Attached Thumbnails
New Mountain Biker-photo-1.jpg  
Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizzyTRDTXPRO View Post
I have a 2011 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Wahoo it's a little higher priced than what you want. I just got back into bikes.

Look into the 2011 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Advance.
^ this

i have the same bike and love it, if not, check out the trek 4300 or specialized hard rock. im sure giant and santa cruz and a few others make a good low price mtb
Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
LBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input fellas. Any thoughts on getting a 26" wheels or 29"? It looks like 26" are gonna be obsolete soon. Also.. what kind of gear do I need?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
ERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
ERIC's Tacoma Gallery
Id say stick with 26". They will never become obsolete. The 29" wheels are over kill. Even on my Demo 9 i run 26" wheels. For gear get a good jersey, helmet, knee pads and a helmet cam
Old 06-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #8

LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC View Post
Id say stick with 26". They will never become obsolete. The 29" wheels are over kill. Even on my Demo 9 i run 26" wheels. For gear get a good jersey, helmet, knee pads and a helmet cam
Thats good to hear. Every bike shop I go to the guys are saying 29ers only. Probably cause they are more expensive (fuckers).

These are the ones that I am looking at ( I bumped my price range up a little..)

Trek: 2012 Marlin, 2012 Wahoo
Marin: Bobcat Trail, Bolinas Ridge

Of course, I dont know all the companies to be looking at, but I am going to a couple bike shops this weekend to check some out.

Helmet Question: Full faced or regular helmet?
Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

113tac's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i dont ever think 26" wheels will become obsolete. its a riding style, just like fat tire, atleast thats the way i think of it.

anyways...have you test riden one yet?
Old 06-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #10

LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 113tac View Post
yeah i dont ever think 26" wheels will become obsolete. its a riding style, just like fat tire, atleast thats the way i think of it.

anyways...have you test riden one yet?
I tested out a Marin bike the other day but I think it was a 29er
Old 06-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Everything's BIGGER in TX!
Oskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
Oskie_78's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Oskie_78
I just got a 2011 Specialized Hard Rock 29er and I love it!

go test ride some and find out what you like, good luck!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #12

113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCdmv View Post
I tested out a Marin bike the other day but I think it was a 29er
oh okay. definitely test out a 26er, it may be more or less comfortable. thats what it really comes down to. what type of riding do you plan on doing?
Old 06-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
Nothing beats a Butter Shave..
Hipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant future

Name: Tom
Hipster's Tacoma Gallery
Test ride is a great idea. Even if it's around your LBS. Even though some of the geometry of the components can change, the feel of the bike and the geometry of the frame is real important.

99% of the stuff you'll do as a new rider can be done with your standard helmet. The full face is for serious hucking.

26" wheels will always be around. 29" are becoming more popular, but they will never replace the 26" It's not the Beta/VCR/DVD/Blue Ray thing.

Good luck and have some fun! With mountain biking, you can ride the same trail every day and it always feel different because the lines are constantly changing.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
WizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thats good to hear. Every bike shop I go to the guys are saying 29ers only. Probably cause they are more expensive (fuckers).

These are the ones that I am looking at ( I bumped my price range up a little..)

Of course, I dont know all the companies to be looking at, but I am going to a couple bike shops this weekend to check some out.

I vote Wahoo!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #15

LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 113tac View Post
oh okay. definitely test out a 26er, it may be more or less comfortable. thats what it really comes down to. what type of riding do you plan on doing?
I will. I am not gonna rush into and I figured you experienced MBers would point me in the right direction. I just moved to Groton, CT and am still getting familiar with the area. There is Bluff Point SP and a bunch of other SPs around here that have trails.

I have been biking up in NorCal a couple times and have always wanted to get into the sport.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #16

LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
Test ride is a great idea. Even if it's around your LBS. Even though some of the geometry of the components can change, the feel of the bike and the geometry of the frame is real important.

99% of the stuff you'll do as a new rider can be done with your standard helmet. The full face is for serious hucking.

26" wheels will always be around. 29" are becoming more popular, but they will never replace the 26" It's not the Beta/VCR/DVD/Blue Ray thing.

Good luck and have some fun! With mountain biking, you can ride the same trail every day and it always feel different because the lines are constantly changing.
Thanks for the input. I have been a couple times and almost gone face first into rocks (rookie). I had a blast when I went last and its a real rush flying down a mtn.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #17

LBCdan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizzyTRDTXPRO View Post
I vote Wahoo!
Im test riding one on Saturday! They look pretty good and have great reviews. The difficult part for me is like shopping for a motorcycle. A 250 is a great beginner bike but in a year you will want something that goes a little faster...
Old 06-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #18

I used to race motocross when I was younger I can answer those questions easier than about mtn bikes.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #19

113tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I will. I am not gonna rush into and I figured you experienced MBers would point me in the right direction. I just moved to Groton, CT and am still getting familiar with the area. There is Bluff Point SP and a bunch of other SPs around here that have trails.

I have been biking up in NorCal a couple times and have always wanted to get into the sport.
cool stuff, sounds like youve got a good plan. as far as helmet, i just use a regular helmet, but i will probably get a full face helmet depending on the terrain near my school next year
Old 06-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #20
ERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
ERIC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Trek is a good brand with good prices. Check out santa cruz too. For helmets stick with a regular one. I only use a full helmet when i use my downhill bike.