Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Mountain Bike Question

Old 06-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Flatsman2 is on a distinguished road
Name: Taylor
Flatsman2's Tacoma Gallery
Mountain Bike Question

Newer rider, bought a GT Timberland on a great deal. Been riding it for a few months and have gotten really into biking. Nothing serious, light trails, some on-road, some off. Turns out, it's pretty worn out and will be pretty expensive to get it riding good again.

Here's my question, I want to buy a new bike somewhat comparable to the one I have. Nothing too over the top, just to do what I have been doing. Looking to spend anywhere from $250-$400 on it. Went and looked at some of the lower model Trek's today. The 3900 series, seemed pretty good and it was around $420 at a local shop. Going to look at some bikes at Dicks Sporting Goods tonight. I found a Nishiki online that looked pretty decent. Anybody know anything about these bikes?

I really need some suggestions and comments on whats a good bike in this range.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
You can get a much better deal buying used off of CL or ebay.
I personaly have a jamis and love it.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the Specialized, Giant, and Trek lines. For someone with your type of riding, nothing too hardcore, they should have something that'll work for you. I think Specialized are the best all-around complete bike on the market. They're a popular brand so finding a local bike shop that carries them is easy. They've been around for years and have racing teams sponsoring major pro racers both nationally and internationally in cross country, cyclocross, downhill (my favorite), and road. Their products are tried and true. Cant go wrong with Specialized.

Do I sound like an spokesperson for them? I used to race downhill and cross country and have myself built maybe 10 bikes over the years. Funny thing, I've never owned any of the above brands, but wouldn't hesitate to buy a Specialized.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Sweet. I'll definitely check out Specialized.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Here check this out

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...ountain-Biking
Old 06-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Thanks yall I appreciate the help...decided on the Trek!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
FASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to allFASTK is a name known to all
Name: Gregg
FASTK's Tacoma Gallery
You're throwing away money buying a low end bike if you plan to use it for any length of time. Sounds like you got the bug and want to keep riding. Find a used bike, you won't believe the difference in weight, ride quality, suspension fork response. It just changes the whole experience.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
^^^Exactly. You will notice the difference on your first ride. You wont pedal through gears, shift smoother, all power goes to the wheels instead of loosing it through crap components, you will have a quality frame underneath you.............etc,etc.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
ERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
ERIC's Tacoma Gallery
X2 its not worth buying cheap bikes if your gunna ride them hard. Check out pinkbike. Its a huge mountain biking forum and they have a for sale section of all really great bikes for great prices.

http://www.pinkbike.com/
Old 06-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
All good info. I would just add, learn to wrench on it so you can do your own maintenance & buy components from online places to save money. Shops will charge you out the ass just like car dealerships. I only patronize shops for things like cable ends, cables, cytomax, tubes or a whole bike on rare occassions that I bought one instead of building the whole thing from scratch. I have a few that completely showed up part by part on my doorstep over time. Working on #14 at the moment. You're always short one bike is what they say.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Imo I would not buy anything new thats worth less than $650-700. I think to me thats the price point when usually the componentry starts to be acceptable especially if you like riding and want to keep it for years to come. I would stay away from Walmart and similar type of sub $300 bikes etc. Btw in this price range dont expect a full suspension, all hardtails. Used one might be a way to go, just make sure its in good condition and was taken care of. As said, online stores have the best deals. I found my Juicy 3 brake set for $100 new on ebay, (take off from a new bike at a bike shop) and a Rock Shox Recon SL XC for $260 shipped new, same story...
Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
RoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to behold

RoyR's Tacoma Gallery
If you are going to get serious about it...get a $2k+ bike, it will last and be able to handle everything you throw at it.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyR View Post
If you are going to get serious about it...get a $2k+ bike, it will last and be able to handle everything you throw at it.
That is true, I'm myself looking at a $2k+ full suspension trail/AM bike...
Old 06-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Kona Dawg Deluxe. 5 inches front and rear, built to take a beating. Got on sale for 2k, was 2.5k

Awesome bike.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
Hakuna Matata, bitches!
EVErsionDesigns has a spectacular aura aboutEVErsionDesigns has a spectacular aura about

Name: Trent
EVErsionDesigns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatsman2 View Post
Newer rider, bought a GT Timberland on a great deal. Been riding it for a few months and have gotten really into biking. Nothing serious, light trails, some on-road, some off. Turns out, it's pretty worn out and will be pretty expensive to get it riding good again.

Here's my question, I want to buy a new bike somewhat comparable to the one I have. Nothing too over the top, just to do what I have been doing. Looking to spend anywhere from $250-$400 on it. Went and looked at some of the lower model Trek's today. The 3900 series, seemed pretty good and it was around $420 at a local shop. Going to look at some bikes at Dicks Sporting Goods tonight. I found a Nishiki online that looked pretty decent. Anybody know anything about these bikes?

I really need some suggestions and comments on whats a good bike in this range.

Thanks
Try to get a bike with a big company behind it. No offbrand bs. Bikes with big company's behind them usually have really good warranties and are good to you about broken parts and frames. If you get really into MTB like you say, you're going to start spending thousands of dollars. Welcome to the good life!! lol