1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mountain Bike Question

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Flatsman2, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Jun 17, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    Flatsman2

Flatsman2 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD DblCab
    Newer rider, bought a GT Timberland on a great deal. Been riding it for a few months and have gotten really into biking. Nothing serious, light trails, some on-road, some off. Turns out, it's pretty worn out and will be pretty expensive to get it riding good again.

Here's my question, I want to buy a new bike somewhat comparable to the one I have. Nothing too over the top, just to do what I have been doing. Looking to spend anywhere from $250-$400 on it. Went and looked at some of the lower model Trek's today. The 3900 series, seemed pretty good and it was around $420 at a local shop. Going to look at some bikes at Dicks Sporting Goods tonight. I found a Nishiki online that looked pretty decent. Anybody know anything about these bikes?

I really need some suggestions and comments on whats a good bike in this range.

Thanks

2. Jun 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    You can get a much better deal buying used off of CL or ebay.
    I personaly have a jamis and love it.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Jun 18, 2011 at 12:44 AM
    tacomtn

tacomtn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    Check out the Specialized, Giant, and Trek lines. For someone with your type of riding, nothing too hardcore, they should have something that'll work for you. I think Specialized are the best all-around complete bike on the market. They're a popular brand so finding a local bike shop that carries them is easy. They've been around for years and have racing teams sponsoring major pro racers both nationally and internationally in cross country, cyclocross, downhill (my favorite), and road. Their products are tried and true. Cant go wrong with Specialized.

Do I sound like an spokesperson for them? I used to race downhill and cross country and have myself built maybe 10 bikes over the years. Funny thing, I've never owned any of the above brands, but wouldn't hesitate to buy a Specialized.

4. Jun 18, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    Flatsman2

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD DblCab
    Sweet. I'll definitely check out Specialized.

5. Jun 18, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
  6. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    Flatsman2

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD DblCab
    Thanks yall I appreciate the help...decided on the Trek!

7. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Okay, now we have to see some pics of the bike and some riding shots..... Which Trek model did you go with the 3900?

8. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    FASTK

FASTK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    Columbus
    Vehicle:
    2010 4dr 4x4 long bed
    You're throwing away money buying a low end bike if you plan to use it for any length of time. Sounds like you got the bug and want to keep riding. Find a used bike, you won't believe the difference in weight, ride quality, suspension fork response. It just changes the whole experience.

9. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    ^^^Exactly. You will notice the difference on your first ride. You wont pedal through gears, shift smoother, all power goes to the wheels instead of loosing it through crap components, you will have a quality frame underneath you.............etc,etc.

10. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    ERIC

ERIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Impulse Red TRD PreRunner SOLD
    Pioneer double din navi head unit and four 5x7 alpine speakers, westin light bar, procomp lights, head and tail lights, black billet grille, billet antienna, gibson headers and cat back exhaust, afe cold air, uni chip programmer, Bilstein 5100's, Pro comp wheels and tires, tint, blacked out emblems, innu roof rack, yakima basket, foglight mod...
    X2 its not worth buying cheap bikes if your gunna ride them hard. Check out pinkbike. Its a huge mountain biking forum and they have a for sale section of all really great bikes for great prices.

http://www.pinkbike.com/

11. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    All good info. I would just add, learn to wrench on it so you can do your own maintenance & buy components from online places to save money. Shops will charge you out the ass just like car dealerships. I only patronize shops for things like cable ends, cables, cytomax, tubes or a whole bike on rare occassions that I bought one instead of building the whole thing from scratch. I have a few that completely showed up part by part on my doorstep over time. Working on #14 at the moment. You're always short one bike is what they say.

12. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    Imo I would not buy anything new thats worth less than $650-700. I think to me thats the price point when usually the componentry starts to be acceptable especially if you like riding and want to keep it for years to come. I would stay away from Walmart and similar type of sub $300 bikes etc. Btw in this price range dont expect a full suspension, all hardtails. Used one might be a way to go, just make sure its in good condition and was taken care of. As said, online stores have the best deals. I found my Juicy 3 brake set for $100 new on ebay, (take off from a new bike at a bike shop) and a Rock Shox Recon SL XC for $260 shipped new, same story...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Jun 22, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    RoyR

RoyR Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Billies, TSB
    If you are going to get serious about it...get a $2k+ bike, it will last and be able to handle everything you throw at it.

14. Jun 22, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    That is true, I'm myself looking at a $2k+ full suspension trail/AM bike...

15. Jun 22, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    I've got a Kona Dawg Deluxe. 5 inches front and rear, built to take a beating. Got on sale for 2k, was 2.5k

Awesome bike.

16. Jul 11, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    EVErsionDesigns

EVErsionDesigns Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 4wd TRD OffRoad
    Camburg UCA, 2.5" Icons, 2.0" Icon air bumps, TRD Intake, TRD Exhaust, TRD TT Wheels, OMF Beadlocks, BFG
    Try to get a bike with a big company behind it. No offbrand bs. Bikes with big company's behind them usually have really good warranties and are good to you about broken parts and frames. If you get really into MTB like you say, you're going to start spending thousands of dollars. Welcome to the good life!! lol

Products Discussed in

To Top