LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Sports, Hobbies & Interests

Notices

Official Kayaking/Canoeing Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #41
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
We don't have many fun rivers or rapids here, so canoe's bring a completely different image to mind..
Thats me in the front.
looks fun! I'd hate to be in the middle. I have an extremely long paddle swipe canoeing so I could see myself hitting those outriggers.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #42
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
looks fun! I'd hate to be in the middle. I have an extremely long paddle swipe canoeing so I could see myself hitting those outriggers.
Can't really tell, but the waves we were surfing that day were from a tropical storm right offshore... We had a fire/rescue helicopter come down cause some tourists called 911 on us. Apparently, they thought surfing 10-15 ft sets were dangerous

And yeah, those outriggers take awhile to get used to. I used to hit them all the time.

Always wanted to kayak down some rapids...
Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #43
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Guess I'll throw in here too. 2 12' Wilderness systems tarpons. Have j racks to fit on the car but much prefer to haul them on the truck with the Thule xsporter which also does longboards, or lumber or 450 lbs of whatever you may put up there. Pic is on 05 access cab but will ride the same on the 08 reg cab. This is from March......

Old 07-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #44
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Guess I'll throw in here too. 2 12' Wilderness systems tarpons. Have j racks to fit on the car but much prefer to haul them on the truck with the Thule xsporter which also does longboards, or lumber or 450 lbs of whatever you may put up there. Pic is on 05 access cab but will ride the same on the 08 reg cab. This is from March......

where is this?
Old 07-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #45
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
Can't really tell, but the waves we were surfing that day were from a tropical storm right offshore... We had a fire/rescue helicopter come down cause some tourists called 911 on us. Apparently, they thought surfing 10-15 ft sets were dangerous

And yeah, those outriggers take awhile to get used to. I used to hit them all the time.

Always wanted to kayak down some rapids...
haha! that is awesome. Those people are stupid. 10-15ft is small!

Nice pics Taco Prerunner!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #46
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
nice! how does the taco handle with the kayaks up like that? Get much rocking with the wind?
Not that I noticed & I cruise pretty good on the interstate.
They stay on there pretty good & I hit some stormy weather.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #47
ToyTaco2011 is on a distinguished road

ToyTaco2011's Tacoma Gallery
[IMG]/
2011 Taco Double Cab with 14'6" Prijon Calabria by gpsolcoupe26, on Flickr[IMG]

Here is my 2011 Taco double cab with the my 14' 6" Prijon Calabria loaded and ready for another excercise session.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #48

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
Not that I noticed & I cruise pretty good on the interstate.
They stay on there pretty good & I hit some stormy weather.
I would like to transport mine that way on top of my car but I am a little concerned about how the wind will whip it across the lanes. It already drifts with some light wind. I know there are going to be times I have to haul more than one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTaco2011 View Post
[IMG]/
2011 Taco Double Cab with 14'6" Prijon Calabria by gpsolcoupe26, on Flickr[IMG]

Here is my 2011 Taco double cab with the my 14' 6" Prijon Calabria loaded and ready for another excercise session.
Lookin good!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #49
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
The wife and I in our kayaks. We have an old Cobra XL and a Perception Sound. Both have been rigged with fishing rods and paddling accouterments.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:05 AM   #50
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
where is this?
Village Creek State Park, north of Beaumont by Lumberton & Silsbee area off hwy 69. It flows into the Neches River. There is a lot of paddling there. We covered a small amount of what's there. Cool off the beaten path place.

Quote:
Nice pics Taco Prerunner!
Thanks

Quote:
The wife and I in our kayaks. We have an old Cobra XL and a Perception Sound. Both have been rigged with fishing rods and paddling accouterments.

Was this Armand Bayou Nature area perhaps? Or Clear Creek? I used to live in Clear Lake area and Armand Bayou was 5 minutes away. Was our home yakin spot until moving out west. Now, I guess Oyster Creek in the Sugar Land area would be it. Not nearly as cool of a place but beats making circles in the small lakes in the neighborhood.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:46 AM   #51
05ImpulseTaco is on a distinguished road
05ImpulseTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Gradient View Post
Time to show off a little Is whitewater kayaking welcome here?

Awesome picture I'm a whitewater boater myself. I paddle a Pyranha burn and a wave sport project 52. That picture looks like great falls to me. I live in Richmond VA so I'm on the James pretty much every week with a few trips to West VA here and there.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:49 AM   #52
know it all
muddluvr is on a distinguished road
muddluvr's Tacoma Gallery
Here are mine,

Mine - Malibu Kayaks X-Factor, fish and dive kayak
hers - 10' perception

Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 AM   #53
Man, Myth, Legend

bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Was this Armand Bayou Nature area perhaps? Or Clear Creek? I used to live in Clear Lake area and Armand Bayou was 5 minutes away. Was our home yakin spot until moving out west. Now, I guess Oyster Creek in the Sugar Land area would be it. Not nearly as cool of a place but beats making circles in the small lakes in the neighborhood.
Armand Bayou is right. Specifically Big Island Slough, but it's all the same.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 AM   #54
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xshark View Post
Here is my kayak. Its a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120.
The best river in this area is the Buffalo River. I've done several multi-day trips in this kayak on the river. Its a great floating kayak.

Some nice Buffalo River scenery:

I'm going to have to pick your brain about this float...been hearing alot of great things about this river and I want to try it out for myself next spring.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:18 AM   #55
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 12' field n stream eagle run. Just bought my son an 8' coleman that was on special at dicks. I kayak the rivers in central PA. Ill get some pics up later
Old 07-08-2011, 05:24 AM   #56
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 10.5' Future Beach Trophy 126 kayak myself, the college I go to has a great equipment rental program and I rent a 12 ft perception for my 6'5" brother in law. We've done multi day kayak trips on several rivers in the past couple years and many one day trips on lakes and love it! We live in such a great area for kayaking and river fishing, enough options from 15 minutes to a couple hours away that will keep us busy for years.

Here's some shots from a float we did in April on the Big South Fork.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 AM   #57
UticaClub will become famous soon enoughUticaClub will become famous soon enough
Name: John
UticaClub's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, I'll play. Wife's Old Town is on the left, my Current Designs is on the right. We go almost every weekend. Nothing is more relaxing than a having a beer while silently gliding across a mirror still lake looking down into the sunset.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 AM   #58
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote:
Armand Bayou is right. Specifically Big Island Slough, but it's all the same.
Oh yeah, forgot about the docks they built off red bluff where that crosses under. Those were just built before we moved. Did y'all launch from there or Bayland park on bay area? We always just used bayland park so we could go south towards the lake and up in horsepen bayou or north to big island slough or up armand to bay oaks country club almost to genoa-red bluff. Bay oaks is gone and looks to be becoming apartments now.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #60
Xshark will become famous soon enough

Name: Michael
Xshark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Great pics Michael! That is a beautiful river! Love the Tarpon too. I think that may be on the list for one of my boats. How much gear can you fit up in that dry storage?
Thanks! The Buffalo is a great river.

For the front dry storage, I usually fit a 2-person tent, a twin size air mattress, a shoebox size plastic container (for misc. stuff) and a there is usually space left for a few other small items. (bag of jerky, can of Pringles, and extra hat). The Tarpon 120 will hold a full size cooler, then I have a dry bag behind that with my sleeping bag and clothes. The Tarpon has a small access hole right between my legs where I can stash extra food, camera, or whatever else. Its a great cruising kayak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSkynyrd View Post
I'm going to have to pick your brain about this float...been hearing alot of great things about this river and I want to try it out for myself next spring.
Ask away! I've only floated about 60% of the river, but all the really scenic parts. The river level and how many nights you want to camp will be a deciding factor of what section to float.

Products Discussed in this Thread